• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Lady Thread 2017

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why would they groom it Monday night when they're closed all week until Friday?

Might be the only night all week it was cold enough to do it. If it's too warm/soft the groomer just sinks too deep into the snow for the tiller to smooth out and you get nasty rutted out cat tracks every where.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

Might be the only night all week it was cold enough to do it. If it's too warm/soft the groomer just sinks too deep into the snow for the tiller to smooth out and you get nasty rutted out cat tracks every where.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
I'm looking online and it looks like Sunday/Monday had about the same low temp as Friday/Saturday.
I'll probably go either way though, whether they groom or not.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sure, but how accurate is a five day out forecast even in winter, never mind May? I think a mountain needs to be much more opportunistic in their operations decisions this time of year. If they groomed Monday night, it was likely because they thought it would be the only opportunity they'd get. It will get to a point very soon and usually is at that point by now already that the only thing you'll see is moving snow around to cover bare spots.

Jcb890

Sure, but how accurate is a five day out forecast even in winter, never mind May? I think a mountain needs to be much more opportunistic in their operations decisions this time of year. If they groomed Monday night, it was likely because they thought it would be the only opportunity they'd get. It will get to a point very soon and usually is at that point by now already that the only thing you'll see is moving snow around to cover bare spots.
I really don't know. I'm just trying to guess since they declined to give a real response other than "we have yet to decide".

2 seasons ago when they went until Memorial Day weekend they groomed that weekend. I can't comment on the previous weekends because I was only there on 5/25. Well, maybe they didn't "groom" per se, but they knocked down the moguls/natural bumps on about 1/2 of the width of Superstar.

Jully

I'm looking online and it looks like Sunday/Monday had about the same low temp as Friday/Saturday.
I'll probably go either way though, whether they groom or not.

Saturday and Sunday are looking pretty equally nice I think. I'm probably headed up one of the days. Should be a pretty great spring day!

machski

I really don't know. I'm just trying to guess since they declined to give a real response other than "we have yet to decide".

2 seasons ago when they went until Memorial Day weekend they groomed that weekend. I can't comment on the previous weekends because I was only there on 5/25. Well, maybe they didn't "groom" per se, but they knocked down the moguls/natural bumps on about 1/2 of the width of Superstar.
My experience has been they only mow down the middle of the bumps when they freeze solid early in the spring and would be almost unskiable the first few hours. After that, they tend to not groom until they need to start moving snow around to bridge up bare areas, and then it usually concentrated to where they need to be. Once Skylark goes, the odds of having a groomed route declines immensely.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

Its hot as f*ck out there today and even in the mid-80s up at Killington. Next week looks like some possible rain, but no temps in the 70s or 80s (as of now). Do you guys think they'll make it to June? June 1st is 2 weeks away. I wonder if they'd open that Thursday - Sunday or just open Thursday to say they operated in June?

deadheadskier

Staff member
If it looks like they can operate Friday - Sunday, I'd imagine they'd open those days and skip Thursday the 1st. If there's still continuous skiing, I don' t see them opening on Thursday and then shutting it down.

Jcb890

If it looks like they can operate Friday - Sunday, I'd imagine they'd open those days and skip Thursday the 1st. If there's still continuous skiing, I don' t see them opening on Thursday and then shutting it down.
That makes sense, but I figured if it was close maybe they'd open just for the 1st to say they were open on the 1st. Kind of like Sunday River staying open Monday, May 1st, just to be "Open into May".

deadheadskier

Staff member
That makes sense, but I figured if it was close maybe they'd open just for the 1st to say they were open on the 1st. Kind of like Sunday River staying open Monday, May 1st, just to be "Open into May".

Killington is different. Except for the Nyberg years they've always gone until they can't go no more.

Now if you mean close as in there's a decent amount of trail available, say 90% and some walking required? Then I could see them opening up 6/1 just to say they got June. They likely wouldn't go beyond that though you never know. Years ago I remember having to walk down the full upper head wall and other sections of the trail and they still ran the lift. Basically patch skiing.

Jcb890

Killington is different. Except for the Nyberg years they've always gone until they can't go no more.

Now if you mean close as in there's a decent amount of trail available, say 90% and some walking required? Then I could see them opening up 6/1 just to say they got June. They likely wouldn't go beyond that though you never know. Years ago I remember having to walk down the full upper head wall and other sections of the trail and they still ran the lift. Basically patch skiing.
Ah, thank you for the info. I'd love to go ride in June so I'm all for it if they can be open that whole weekend.

Yeah, that's what I meant by "close", close to being done/out of snow. I'll try and go as late as the trail is actually lift serviced. If I'm going to have to walk/hike, I might just try and make the trek up to Tuckerman.

My only "historical information" in regards to Killington going into May/June is from 2 years ago. I have technically been snowboarding since 2000-ish, but from '00 - '03 I'd go 2-3 times per year over a weekend at Killington as part of a family trip and then basically stopped from '03 - '14, starting back up in '14.

dlague

I have been going to Killington right to the end since the management change from 2012-2013 season to the 2014-2015 season with hopes they would make it to June 1st. They always fell short. IIRC, one year they made May 26th and we were walking, in fact many of my last days there require walk on walk off which I thought was cool. I hope they make it but I agree with an earlier post - doubt they would open just for June 1st with limited trail now if there is close to TTB on SS then all bets are off. The S turn is really starting to attack though so you shall see.

I doubt they'll make June 1. There will be snow left though. My goal is to hike the same day my son graduates KMS, on June 3.

Domeskier

I'll try and go as late as the trail is actually lift serviced. If I'm going to have to walk/hike, I might just try and make the trek up to Tuckerman.

Like DHS mentioned, there can be significant amounts of walking even if the lifts are running. I guess it's easier to hike down to the snow in snowboard boots, but more of a pain to strap in and out of your board each time. Some folks just ski the grass and mud. That might be easier on a board too, I guess.

chuckstah

Ah, thank you for the info. I'd love to go ride in June so I'm all for it if they can be open that whole weekend.

Yeah, that's what I meant by "close", close to being done/out of snow. I'll try and go as late as the trail is actually lift serviced. If I'm going to have to walk/hike, I might just try and make the trek up to Tuckerman.

My only "historical information" in regards to Killington going into May/June is from 2 years ago. I have technically been snowboarding since 2000-ish, but from '00 - '03 I'd go 2-3 times per year over a weekend at Killington as part of a family trip and then basically stopped from '03 - '14, starting back up in '14.
This weekend no grooming, walk on, walk off lift per K report.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app