• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Top Ten Most Challenging Resorts in North America (another list)

BenedictGomez

I have skied at every ski area in VT, and Killington and Jay Peak are head and shoulders above any other are in terms of challenge. Jay Peak is the closest thing we have on the east coast that compares to skiing out west.

I ski Smuggs and Jay Peak a lot, and I think there's more challenge at Smuggs. Liftline at Smuggs is harder than any trail at Jay Peak, hands down. And I'm not getting the Jay Peak / out west thing, at all. Jay Peak is mostly east intermediate trails. You dont go to Jay Peak to ski ON the trails, you go to Jay Peak to ski IN the woods. Also, if you think Jay Peak has more "variety of terrain" than Stowe, IMO you're missing a lot of Stowe or something.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Whiteface should also be included in a "most challenging" east coast resort list as well.

The problem is, many east coast skiers have never skied at Whiteface because it's the westernmost large ski area in the east, so they're unaware.

I will 100% rank Whiteface #1 in terms of underrating their terrain difficulty though, and I'll extend that probably to most of North America. There are intermediates at Whiteface that would be diamonds elsewhere, and diamonds at Whiteface that would be double diamonds elsewhere.

Hell, you get moguls on Victoria (rated Intermediate), and it's like a DIFFICULT double-diamond mogul trail.

Here's a single diamond (Lookout Below) at Whiteface, anyone think this wouldn't be a double-diamond most places?

100_0808.jpg

Hoyt's High would likely be a double-black diamond at most places as well I think.
Hoyts-High-1.jpg

Last edited:

Jully

Whiteface should also be included in a "most challenging" east coast resort list as well.

The problem is, many east coast skiers have never skied at Whiteface because it's the easternmost large ski area in the east, so they're unaware.

I will 100% rank Whiteface #1 in terms of underrating their terrain difficulty though, and I'll extend that probably to most of North America. There are intermediates at Whiteface that would be diamonds elsewhere, and diamonds at Whiteface that would be double diamonds elsewhere.

Hell, you get moguls on Victoria (rated Intermediate), and it's like a DIFFICULT double-diamond mogul trail.

Here's a single diamond (Lookout Below) at Whiteface, anyone think this wouldn't be a double-diamond most places?

100_0808.jpg

Hoyt's High would likely be a double-black diamond at most places as well I think.
Hoyts-High-1.jpg

Very excited to get out there for the first time this season. Its definitely a shame that I've never been there.

cdskier

It can be great but you have to hit it right.

That's absolutely the biggest problem with Whiteface. It doesn't have the nickname "Iceface" for no reason. Unfortunately last time I was there I did not hit it right. I'd love to go back one day under good conditions.

BenedictGomez

It can be great but you have to hit it right.

Yes. More so than any other ski resort I know.

If you dont hit Whiteface right, it ranges from "okay at best" to "absolutely awful".

Hit it with good conditions and it's really nice, hit it on a powder day and it's one of the best in the east.

One positive about Whiteface if you dont hit it right though, is Lake Placid is the best ski town in the east, tons of restaurants and bars and shopping, and plenty of other outdoor activities as well if you decide to bag skiing.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Yes. More so than any other ski resort I know.

If you dont hit Whiteface right, it ranges from "okay at best" to "absolutely awful".

Hit it with good conditions and it's really nice, hit it on a powder day and it's one of the best in the east.

One positive about Whiteface if you dont hit it right though, is Lake Placid is the best ski town in the east, tons of restaurants and bars and shopping, and plenty of other outdoor activities as well if you decide to bag skiing.

Hit it wrong, and its like skiing on a frozen pond on the side of a hill. Been there for enough races that Drapers was sketchy as hell!

KustyTheKlown

whiteface is all about spring skiing. the slides may be open, and the warm temps make it ski soft. its a risky bet mid winter.