• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best seat on the plane?

bvibert

Staff member
The plane model dorkery in this thread is amusing :lol:

Never once in my life have I paid attention to the plane model number

thats cause you're not an aviation fan.

I've been one my whole life. I used to park next to 13L at JFK with my scanner and watch them come in for landing and take off. Pre 9/11 of course. Can't get enough. Thats why I'm so excited about flying the A380

I'm not a big aviation fan. I just like to be comfortable. I try to make note of what plane I'm flying on so that when I'm picking seats on future flights I know what to expect. With my size even getting a seat with extra leg room doesn't make for a comfortable flight, it just makes it more bearable. So every little bit helps.

I don't have much hope of ever flying 1st class, so I'll just have to optimize coach as best I can...

darent

any seat going somewhere. I'm small so the only time I get bothered is in a seat that I have to share with a plus-plus size person that is sweaty!!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

I've been one my whole life. I used to park next to 13L at JFK with my scanner and watch them come in for landing and take off. Pre 9/11 of course. Can't get enough. Thats why I'm so excited about flying the A380

Same, I actually have a private pilot's license that I got in high school. Haven't really flown (airplanes) since... too damn expensive. I stick with paragliding.

I used to go to Bradley when I lived in CT, and when i went to college in MA i would go to the parking garage at logan and just watch the planes take off. I remember at the time (again, pre 9/11) my friend and I went to the control tower and asked if we could come up. They let us in and we go to chat with all the ATC guys in the tower. That would never happen today.

Also, when I was a kid I used to religiously on every flight ask to meet the pilot. I remember flying to Germany on a 747 with Lufthansa when I was probably 10 or 11 years old. I went in to talk to the pilot and he banked the airplane for me left and then right. I remember it being so awesome watching the horizon tilt at that age and thinking this guy is banking a 747 just for my amusement.

The good old days ....

deadheadskier

Staff member

It's not so much not being a fan of flying, it's loathing public transportation in general.

I guess I don't pay attention to the plane because when I book a flight it's about spending the shortest time in transit for the shortest dollar. Whatever expedia, kayak turns up to fit those criteria is what I fly.

About the only time I ever got excited about a plane was when Jet Blue first came out and had the individual TVs with 25 channels.

Geoff

The plane model dorkery in this thread is amusing :lol:

Never once in my life have I paid attention to the plane model number

If you fly a lot, it's not "dorkery". Anybody who flies a lot has SeatGuru bookmarked. If you're going to pick your own seat, why not pick a good one?

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you fly a lot, it's not "dorkery". Anybody who flies a lot has SeatGuru bookmarked. If you're going to pick your own seat, why not pick a good one?

I've picked my seat plenty of times. It's a great feature. I just don't pay any attention to what kind of plane I'll be riding in.

hammer

Same, I actually have a private pilot's license that I got in high school. Haven't really flown (airplanes) since... too damn expensive. I stick with paragliding.

Got my private license during the summers while in college. Made use of it to take a day trip from NJ to Williamsburg to go to Busch Gardens and have had my share of "$100 hamburgers". Good times...

me too - worked on instrument rating but never finished it

I finished up my instrument rating and also picked up a commercial multi-engine at a military Aero Club. Got busy with family stuff so I haven't flown on a regular basis for almost 18 years. Unfortunately, it has become too expensive to keep current.

As far as a seat on the plane is concerned, I'm partial to an aisle seat near or at the middle of the plane. I don't care about looking outside anymore and I like to be near an exit row but away from the service areas and restrooms.

jlboyell

I used to go to Bradley when I lived in CT, and when i went to college in MA i would go to the parking garage at logan and just watch the planes take off. I remember at the time (again, pre 9/11) my friend and I went to the control tower and asked if we could come up. They let us in and we go to chat with all the ATC guys in the tower. That would never happen today.

Also, when I was a kid I used to religiously on every flight ask to meet the pilot. I remember flying to Germany on a 747 with Lufthansa when I was probably 10 or 11 years old. I went in to talk to the pilot and he banked the airplane for me left and then right. I remember it being so awesome watching the horizon tilt at that age and thinking this guy is banking a 747 just for my amusement.

The good old days ....

Johnny, do you like movies about gladiators?

snowmonster

I can relate to this. When I was a kid, I had a book on airplanes and knew ever spec on just about every plane made by Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, Lockheed and British Aircraft Corp. At that time, the big planes were the 747, the DC-10 and the L1011. Every time a plane flew overhead, I would say the type of aircraft and the airline (speaking of airlines, this makes me nostalgic for all those airlines that are no longer around: Pan Am, TWA, Eastern, Western, Hughes Airwest, Braniff, PSA, National, etc.). I also used to build model airplanes. I don't think kids do this anymore.

True story: I was flying Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong sometime in the 90s. My friend was on board and his wife was a stewardess. She managed to get us into the cockpit to meet the captain. It was a 747 and the pilot let me and my friend sit in the jump seats behind him. The whole crew was Australian and they chatted away with us. As we began our descent, I told them that I should get back to my seat. Captain told me to stay and kept talking to me. Now, the descent into HK's old airport (Kai Tak) is pretty notorious for being tight since you bank around hills and dodge buildings. Anyway, the pilots just kept talking to us as the plane veered right near a hill and then flew straight into the runway. The plane basically landed itself and the pilots didn't touch the steering columns until the brakes came on. When the plane stopped, the co-pilot brought out a map then said: "Where the f*ck is gate 37A?"

ERJ-145CA

The best seat on the Embraer 145 is my seat, the one on the left up front.
EMB-145_flight_deck.jpg

4aprice

Just had the honor (cough, cough) of sitting in the last row of a 737 as far from the pilot as it gets. Thought I would hate it but it wasn't so bad though I still prefer midships.(little bumpier back there). Did have a good view of the "super moon" though.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ