• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Going to Big Sky any advice

Vince

Going Jan 22 for 5 ski days. Never been before. looking for general tips. Any advice on the best glades or areas to ski in bad visibility? Can you rent avalanche gear? thanks

kingslug

Its one big ass mountain thats for sure. The top is one of the more scarier summits I have ever been on. The dictator chutes are pretty steep. The Big Couloir..better have it all in one sock for that one. And avalanche gear. I'm not a fan of renting gear but as long as you get at least some training with it it wioll be somewhat useful. If not , then its only good to find..your body.
There are extensive trees which would be good in the fog. But I would not go in there alone. Place is pretty huge. Maybe grab an instructor for a day to show you around. You have a week to explore it and you will not be bored.

machski

They have Alpine guides for the really legit stuff that will supply the avi gear. But it is not cheap, like $400 for a half day. Big Couloir is a blast, but there are actually steeper runs on the mountain. Castro's on the back inbounds is steeper and if open, Otter Slide off the top is quite similar to Couloir in pitch. Big Couloir requires the gear, buddy and sign out. If it is on your list, you must b-line it to the tram first thing and get on the list at the patrol hut up top.
Some of the best trees are off Andersite, and if wind is an issue and the lift is open, Lone Moose has some great trails that are fairly wind sheltered. Moonlight side has glades and little stream bed like trails all over, but be fore warned. Some of those get pretty flat as you get low.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

ShadyGrove

BS isn't known for it's tree skiing, although there is some off the Dakota Triple. It's really known for it's chutes. Like has been mentioned, the South Face has great terrain off of the Lone Peak tram. For a step up in spiciness, traverse around to the Gullies or even consider the A-Z chutes to lookers right up the tram.

crank

There is tree skiing all over Big Sky except for Lone Peak tram and the Headwaters lift. Lots of exploring to do there it takes a few days just to learn you way around. I hear conditions are really good there right now!

Last edited:

abc

BS isn't known for it's tree skiing, although there is some off the Dakota Triple. It's really known for it's chutes.
Big Sky is BIG. So what it's "not known for" is still more than what many other "known for" mountains!

Like all big destination mountains, there's free mountain tours. Just those for a couple hours and ask the host where the glades are and such.

As for the Dictator chutes, have fun with them if it's your thing.

kingslug

I learned several things on my trip there.
1. I'm not as good as a local.
2. Don't ever smoke anything they hand you.
3. Don't ever smoke anything they hand you in the middle of the woods
4. Your screwed if you do.

Jcb890

I learned several things on my trip there.
1. I'm not as good as a local.
2. Don't ever smoke anything they hand you.
3. Don't ever smoke anything they hand you in the middle of the woods
4. Your screwed if you do.
2-4 sounds like it could be either bad or good advice. :lol:
Do you know if what you had was laced or something like that? Just curious.

Jcb890

We just got back from Big Sky and had a fantastic time. The conditions were awesome and much better than last year.

Did the Powder Seeker, Tram and all sorts of trees this time around.

My favorite tree runs:
Spotted Elk - off Ramcharger lift
Ambush Meadows/Ambush Glades
The trees off of Elk Park Meadows
The trees dropping into Crazy Horse - pick your spot, there's a few options
The trees off of the Swift Current lift around Rice Bowl and Buffalo Jump - dumps you into Crazy Horse also. Steep and DEEP!

I actually didn't even get over to the Madison side this trip - was more focused on getting to stuff I didn't during last year's trip.

I talked to a couple locals about the Tram before heading up... I had tried the Headwaters lift and some of those chutes last season, so I asked how it compared and they told me the terrain off the Tram wasn't any more steep or difficult. That was a lie. The top off the Tram was real steep and quite challenging. But the middle section was still steep, but a great pitch and amazing powder. 3K Vertical from the Tram to the Shedhorn lift will get your legs burning for sure.

I think the only things you need avalanche gear for are a couple of the Gullies chutes and Big Couloir. I saw a couple of guys doing Big Couloir on the way up the Tram... fucking gnarly!

legalskier

We just got back from Big Sky and had a fantastic time. The conditions were awesome and much better than last year.... fucking gnarly!

Will you be submitting a TR? My friends who've been have all raved about it.

Whitey

JCB890 -

Thanks for the great trip report. I am going out there for 10 days in about 3 weeks. A lot of the stuff you mention will be really useful (where to find good trees, where to ski later in the day, etc.).

Jcb890

JCB890 -

Thanks for the great trip report. I am going out there for 10 days in about 3 weeks. A lot of the stuff you mention will be really useful (where to find good trees, where to ski later in the day, etc.).
You're very welcome, thank you for the kind words. Hopefully it helps. 10 days will be awesome! Honestly, anywhere is good to ski/ride any time of day. Crowds are pretty much non-existent at Big Sky unless you go on a holiday weekend. We went last year during President's Weekend and I think the longest I waited in a lift line was 5 minutes on that Saturday.

The only time you'll have to wait is for the Tram, but that's kind of intentional also since the Tram only fits 15 per trip.

FYI - The Madison/Moonlight side gets the least amount of sun, so if it is a cold day or you are worried about harder snow, that's your worst bet during those times.

Thanks for the TR - looks awesome!
You're very welcome, thank you for the kind words.