• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poll on Banning Snowboarders from Places like MRG and Alta

How do Azone skiers feel about banning snowboarders at places like MRG and Alta?

• Like it

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • Don't like it

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 32 35.2%

• Total voters

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Ban those telemarketers too

Steveo

Nobody_cares_ss_t_navy_web.jpg

Bumpsis

I hardly ever get to ski Alta :), so as far as that area is concerned, I don't care much about it being skier only, plus, it's really big enough, so it can spread out traffic. If I were a boarder, I probably would not like Alta much anyway - it's punctuated by quite a few flats in between descents.

The problem that I see is that heavy snowboard traffic does create moguls patterns that are less than ideal for a skier. It's kind of difficult to describe but I know it when when I ski it. The bumps just don't have a nice line and the turns feel "weird". This season I have not run into it all that much due to realtive lack of natural snow.
I can see how a lot of snowboarding traffic could change the nature of the moguls that grow at MRG. If MRG wants to remain skier only, I'm for it.

But overall, it's sort of a small issue. I ususally don't see too many boarders in mogul fields and when they're there, most look like crap. It just doesn't look like an optimal experience for them.

neil

Not really. Just curious. A boarder over on Kzone wants a sticker that says "No one cares if you ski MRG". It's obvious what boarders think of the ban, but I'm not so sure opinion is that unanimous in the case of skiers. Maybe it is. Don't know, so decided to start a poll!

I want one of those stickers

emmaurice2

I've met d-bag skiers and riders, but I've also met friendly and interesting skiers and riders. I've seen riders scrape away nice snow, but I've seen skiers do the same thing. The arguments against riders always seemed pretty silly to me. It usually comes down to select individuals being a problem as opposed to the group as a whole.

As a person interested in history and preservation, in general, not just in the skiing world, I can understand MRG's desire to preserve a snapshot of skiing history, and dedication to sharing that snapshot with skiers who want to relive "skiing as it used to be" or to introduce younger generations to "what it used to be like." It's their business to run as they see fit.

I am unfamiliar with Alta and Deer Valley, so I don't know what their spiel is, but it's their prerogative if they want to alienate a segment of the snow sports population.

Personally, I'll take runs with riders or skiers, as long as everyone's having fun, enjoying the snow and respecting one another.

Edd

I skied Attitash today with two of my favorite people to hit the slopes with, both riders. They would absolutely love MRG. I think it's a shame they can't take their boards there.

k123

I know snowboarders don't like it. So if you're a boarder try not to vote. The point is to see how skiers feel about the ban. Of course, boarders should feel free to voice their displeasure about such policies in the thread, but it would be cool if we get a sense of how skiers here feel about this ban.

Sorry I voted "don't like it" before reading the post. (I'm a boarder) :-?

jlboyell

Who really cares? It is elitist but I am fine riding at great mountains all over the country and beyond. I wouldnt want to ride at those places anyway. I hope they all struggle financially and someday will beg snowboarders to help bail them out by offering access to them. I hope the snowboarding community remembers how they didnt let them in. If you dont want me then I dont care to ride at your place. I do think its cool how snowboarders poach those places anyway. Its an old and stupid set of rules. BTW, the division exists in skiing also. Alpine vs freestyle skiers. Different mindsets I guess. The freestyle skiers are way more like the snowboarders than the alpinists in terms of mindsets, personality, etc. Thats all the time I will devote to this.

exactly. it is a companies choice who they let in, and as a consumer, its my choice to never give them money. i think skiers should be glad riding came in and grew in popularity, it definitely spread snowsports to a different demographic, and i think took some of the snobbyness out of skiing. i grew up skiing, but ride now.

rocojerry

Boomers will stop skiing. When they do, MRG and Alta open to boarders. Guaranteed.

As long as the shareholders-owners are 100% skiing and brainwashed on keeping it that way, I don't think they will flip. A better chance of it going out of business eventually and opening with new ownership that allows both.

Can't speak for Alta -- but you can at least already get over there from Snowbird if you want to.

Glenn

I heard snowboarders ruin moguls. Any truth to that rumor? :lol:

BenedictGomez

As the boarder population grows and ages, do you think we'll see the day when a ski area becomes boarders only?

No. There would have to be a drastic change in the market.

Snowboarding's increasing popularity and dramatic rise through the 90s and 00s, has not only dropped off dramatically to the point of completely leveling off, but sales of new snowboards (which is probably one of the best indicators of growth) has been decreasing for several years now, while new ski sales have increased. So it seems like we're going back to a phase where "skiing is cool" again. Three or four months ago, Ski Magazine had a bit about this. They hypothesized that since much of snowboarding's rise was due to all the cool tricks you can do on a snowboard, kids have since realized that there are actually many more tricks that can be performed on skis since the freedom of independently moving legs allows for a much larger range of motion in the air. Who knows whether they're right in their guess or not, but you sure do see a heckuva lot more kids on skis in the parks these days.

puckoach

While I don't have experience with these area's to really comment, IMHO if there is a problem, re-design or enforcement is another option.

Place your "park" so that boarders are not going thru your slow zones. Or, actually pull some fast boarder's passes.

Or, maybe we just get a surge of twin stick protesters to slowly traverse the board parks.....

Hell no you won't go, Hell no you won't go, Hell no.....

snoseek

I think its dumb but whatever they want to do is fine.

Skied Taos the final days before the ban was lifted, skied it the following year The difference-none.

The only upside is I feel like it concentrates all the douchbags and grumpy old dickheads into one resort.

Trekchick

I think its dumb but whatever they want to do is fine.

Skied Taos the final days before the ban was lifted, skied it the following year The difference-none.

The only upside is I feel like it concentrates all the douchbags and grumpy old dickheads into one resort.
Speaking of concentrating douchbags.....care to meet up to ski this week?