• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saab Unveils Concept Crossover Vehicle

bvibert

Staff member
Designers from Saab and parent General Motors Corp. worked with Salomon Sports to add features for skiers, including a sliding floor with a fold-out aluminum ski holder and a heated compartment under the floor for boots. The entire rear cargo area is covered with waterproof, scratch-resistant rubber trim.

That's pretty cool!

ctenidae

Might be almost enough to make me think about maybe buying a Saab again.
Of course, it'll probably end up being a re-badged Subaru.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Might be almost enough to make me think about maybe buying a Saab again.
Of course, it'll probably end up being a re-badged Subaru.

Which means, like the 92X, it will be a decent vehicle. I liked that trend, performance and reliability of a Subaru, without being as ugly as one.

Warp Daddy

As a saabophile i have doubts whether this ever makes it to market.

Admittedly a head turner and a Nice" puff piece" for auto shows but i imagine limited market appeal at the price range it would probably be in -PROVE ME WRONG GM :D

ctenidae

Which means, like the 92X, it will be a decent vehicle. I liked that trend, performance and reliability of a Subaru, without being as ugly as one.

Maybe, but Saab style doesn't equate to a $10K premium over the Subaru. You don't drive a Subaru because you want a pretty car.
You don't drive a Saab becasue you want a dependable one, either.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Here's a link to SAAB's site: http://www.saab.com/main/GLOBAL/en/94X_bioconcept/index.shtml

As well as a couple shots of it (1st one in real life, 2nd & 3rd from SAAB's site):

main.jpg

The angle below gives the SAAB a Ford Edge feel...

06.jpg

07.jpg

And a picture of the new (improved) Forester (since people seem to lump Subaru and SAAB together):

main.jpg

ctenidae

If that Saab and the Forrester aren't built on the same platform, then I'm a kumquat from Queens.
At least it doesn't look like a Blazer, like the 9-7 does

ComeBackMudPuddles

If that Saab and the Forrester aren't built on the same platform, then I'm a kumquat from Queens.
At least it doesn't look like a Blazer, like the 9-7 does

I'd venture to guess that they are not related in any way (GM and Subaru aren't related anymore).

I think there's only so many different ways to design a crossover. To differentiate them these days, you have to go the way of the X6 or new Infinitis (as in, make them sporty looking, but less practical). Otherwise, you'll get the Edge/new SAAB/new Forester look.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
How many storage improvements do these crossovers have compared to your typical wagon such as a Subaru. Looking at those pictures, what strikes me is it does not look like a lot of storage room is available, at least not much more than a wagon. Are the pictures not doing the roominess of these things justice?

ComeBackMudPuddles

How many storage improvements do these crossovers have compared to your typical wagon such as a Subaru. Looking at those pictures, what strikes me is it does not look like a lot of storage room is available, at least not much more than a wagon. Are the pictures not doing the roominess of these things justice?

Generally speaking, I've thought of crossovers as station wagons with higher roofs and bigger tires. They are probably a little wider, too, so there's more shoulder room.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Generally speaking, I've thought of crossovers as station wagons with higher roofs and bigger tires.
And, thus, lower MPG and a higher center of gravity than a comparable AWD standard wagon. Besides more shoulder and head room compared to station wagons, what is the appeal besides looks and trying to feel better and be more image conscious by not buying an SUV?

ComeBackMudPuddles

And, thus, lower MPG and a higher center of gravity than a comparable AWD standard wagon. Besides more shoulder and head room compared to station wagons, what is the appeal besides looks and trying to feel better and be more image conscious by not buying an SUV?

From personal experience, a Ford Edge has a lot more room inside than an Outback, and I think (but am not sure) they have similar MPGs. They cost about the same, too.

I disagree with your veiled suggestion that crossovers are purchased by fashion victims trying to avoid the negative stereotype of SUVs. Outbacks are popular in New England precisely because the "image conscious" buy them instead of SUVs.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
There was nothing veiled meant about that suggestion, for the record ;) It was a broad generalization; however, and certainly not true of all buyers. Subarus are indeed image conscious vehicles for many. But they do have substantial performance benefits over SUVs with space and ground clearance being the only two comparative draw backs that instantly come to mind. Just seeing what buyers thought was the big bonus of a crossover versus a AWD wagon (27MPG on the Legacy with AWD, IIRC).

Bumpsis

Saab - Subaru

My question will probably sound rather stupid to some, but I have not been keeping up with automotive news all that much.
Is there a common link between Saab and Subaru? Are they both now under GM umbrella? I know that Saab was purchased by GM quite some time ago. Did the same happen to Subaru?

ctenidae

My question will probably sound rather stupid to some, but I have not been keeping up with automotive news all that much.
Is there a common link between Saab and Subaru? Are they both now under GM umbrella? I know that Saab was purchased by GM quite some time ago. Did the same happen to Subaru?

GM owned 50% of Subaru at one time. While it's true GM sold its stake recently, I believe they still have some joint ventures running, and I'd be very surprised if they didn't maintain some sort of relationship.