• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown 1/21/2009 (Night)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Just got these pics in!

Right kicker:
0121092000.jpg

Top of Temptor
0121091957.jpg

Nor'Easter:
0121091954.jpg

Grassi21

parts of nor easter bumps looked and felt lunar...

tough to see the lower bumps but that is a great shot of the kicker that i will not be hitting on saturday.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
This just in! Nor'Easter before the turn for Temptor:
0121092026.jpg

Honestly, I have no idea why he sent that one...

ETA: I've received clarification that this pic is to show ice.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Good night. Nice reseed on lower temptor, the top is still hanging in there with a fresh top coating. Kickers are taking some new shape with radically different landings. Nor'easter is pretty effed up right now though... More tomorrow, must sleep now.

Can't wait to get back out tomorrow night after they blow snow tonight!

2knees

interesting developments.

below the kickers has been totally reseeded. and reseeded tight and symetrical. rough now but should be sick by saturday. noreaster bumps are utterly, totally and completely ruined. i hit them 3 times and skipped them the rest of the night. i have no idea how it happened but there are just huge ice whales there now. temptor before the kicker is pretty deep and, although i hate the word, gnarly.

Downhill hit the right side kicker at least 2 times and i went off it on my last run after i realized what he was doing. I barely caught air as i was scrubbing speed off like a freakin sally but still, its nice.

I'll say this, if they get skied in properly, the bottom half should be sick. The top half is gonna take some cajones to hit with speed. topcoat or not, they are big, burly, meaty and solid.

gmcunni

good night, glad i got out. i found top of temptor nice. best line was down the middle, not to either kicker. IMHO, left line to the kicker was OK. the first turn was a big sweep. line on right was better but i felt like there was one to many bumps right before the kicker.

bottom was odd, i've never skied newly seeded bumps before. add some new snow and they should be good to go for saturday.

2knees

good night, glad i got out. i found top of temptor nice. best line was down the middle, not to either kicker.

I thought the top of temptor was sweet too. Just not a speed run. I totally agree that the middle line was the best, having tried left once, middle 4 or 5 times and right 3 times. i just couldnt see letting it go with those bumps. they're only about 8-10 long but they are pretty deep and firm.

btw, as usual, your skiing was exceptional.

MrMagic

looks like that kicker has a downward landing ? not a flat landing anymore ?

gmcunni

btw, as usual, your skiing was exceptional.
thanks, wasn't feeling it much tonight but appreciate the comment.

pieced together some video, mostly scenic shots showing the condition of temptor. will post tonight if it gets done before i fall asleep.

Greg

Staff member
interesting developments.

below the kickers has been totally reseeded. and reseeded tight and symetrical. rough now but should be sick by saturday. noreaster bumps are utterly, totally and completely ruined. i hit them 3 times and skipped them the rest of the night. i have no idea how it happened but there are just huge ice whales there now. temptor before the kicker is pretty deep and, although i hate the word, gnarly.

Downhill hit the right side kicker at least 2 times and i went off it on my last run after i realized what he was doing. I barely caught air as i was scrubbing speed off like a freakin sally but still, its nice.

I'll say this, if they get skied in properly, the bottom half should be sick. The top half is gonna take some cajones to hit with speed. topcoat or not, they are big, burly, meaty and solid.

Sounds great. I like the fact that the top bumps are big and bad. Pretty similar to the comp last March actually. Glad to hear the bottom was reseeded. It really needed it.

Great video. Thanks for doing that. It looks like the left kicker has a decently flattened out landing. The right looks like it has a big stockpile right in front of it. Am I seeing that right? It looks like a gap jump almost. Maybe they will be distributing that loose snow in front of both kickers on Saturday?

The bottom reseed looks great. Again, they made snow Tuesday night so I assume they reseeded using that newly blown snow yesterday. Did it look like it saw any topcoating yet? I suspect after snowmaking last night, they should ski in great tonight. More for tomorrow night and we should have some good bumps for Saturday. Plus we also have tighter lines for the rest of the Temptor bump season. Remember, Gunny bumps are only about a month away!

Can't wait for tonight and Saturday. Thanks for the report, pics and vids guys!

Glenn

The Sundown Crew delivers again! Pics and vids posted within hours of the skiing. Damn good job!

downhill04

I had the helmet cam running but the angle wasn't so hot so I didn't catch much of the action. The reseeded bumps at the bottom made a huge improvement. I skied the line into the right hand kicker most of the night. There is a whale that I was trying to cut out to make the line nicer into the jump. I ducked the bamboo stick 3 times on the right hand kicker and it is SWEET! They pushed a nice pile of snow in the landing area and gave more pop to the jump itself. Smooth take off and landing. I’m very excited for Saturday.

Work on getting those bottom bumps into shape tonight guys. I will try to get the little bit of helmet cam action posted this morning.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice job on the videos guys, I think they do a good job of snowing what we had to work with last night.

Great video. Thanks for doing that. It looks like the left kicker has a decently flattened out landing. The right looks like it has a big stockpile right in front of it. Am I seeing that right? It looks like a gap jump almost. Maybe they will be distributing that loose snow in front of both kickers on Saturday?

The bottom reseed looks great. Again, they made snow Tuesday night so I assume they reseeded using that newly blown snow yesterday. Did it look like it saw any topcoating yet? I suspect after snowmaking last night, they should ski in great tonight. More for tomorrow night and we should have some good bumps for Saturday. Plus we also have tighter lines for the rest of the Temptor bump season. Remember, Gunny bumps are only about a month away!

Can't wait for tonight and Saturday. Thanks for the report, pics and vids guys!

The left kicker still looks to be a work in progress, the "landing" is more a pile of snow, not really worked in at all. The right one received more attention and is like a gap jump, the landing is almost as high as the lip. The jump itself seemed to be reshaped a bit and looked to have more pop to it. Jay and Pat each hit it and seemed to like it. The landing is shaped, and not just a pile of loose snow, so I think they intend on leaving it like that, or at least close to it.

The reseed was pretty nice, the piles were soft and workable for the most. I suspect that your guess is correct, they were seeded yesterday with fresh snow. They had no top coating at all, but they were getting ready to fire up the guns last night (you can hear it in Pat's video). As long as they blow good snow and don't let it pile up then we'll be in good shape. We should have good conditions tonight!

downhill04

For some reason I can not get the helmet cam footage to load onto either youtube or vimeo.:smash: I’m sure it is user error. :oops:

You guys are not missing much with the small sample of footage I did shoot.

bvibert

Staff member
For some reason I can not get the helmet cam footage to load onto either youtube or vimeo.:smash: I’m sure it is user error. :oops:

You guys are not missing much with the small sample of footage I did shoot.

Bummer, I was hoping to get some of that follow along footage. Did any of it work out?