• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown 1/12/09

bvibert

Staff member
Great solo night tonight. The bumps were skiing pretty good and I felt like I finally shook my funk pretty good tonight. The bumps looked bigger on Temptor, but there was still plenty of lines to be had, at least up top, then things kind of fall apart where the kickers are (right one looks pretty good, complete with landing zone, the left one still has a way to go). After the kickers it gets a little funky; there's some walls and a few sweeping scratchy spots. I had trouble putting together a good line all the way down, but that doesn't mean too much. Overall I thought the snow surface was excellent, mostly chalky with some powderyesque stuff on the tops. There were, however a few spots of hard pack, little to no ice that I saw though.

NorEaster still has pretty much the same lines as yesterday, the bumps didn't look any bigger, just a bit more skied in. Quite a bit more slickness at the start to the corner to Temptor, especially on the inside.

The Ex bumps grew a bit, but are still mostly spaced way apart. There's even more slickness in between them, including some legit ice in spots. I made the best use of them though, going fast with minimal turning and more A&E. I still have a pretty bad crouch, but I felt like I was absorbing pretty well.

I ended up getting on skis at about 7:30 and skied right up until last chair, loading at 10 on the nose according to my watch. That was nice since I thought for sure that I wouldn't get that last run in, I even took my time. I guess patrol was a little behind or something (looked like they had a few incidents, or were doing plenty of training).

I took a few pics with my cell, so sorry for the crappy quality (actually it takes better night pictures than my point and shoot camera :roll:)

Top of Temptor:
0112091956.jpg

Looking up Temptor, you can see that many of the last two or three rows of bumps got pretty much covered by snowmaking:
0112091945.jpg

Ex:
0112092022.jpg

Greg

Staff member
Great pics! So the mystery of why the bottom bumps keep disappearing is solved. Also looks like that big drop off bump is starting to reform under the gun too. The top pic is sweet despite the blurriness. That right kicker is right in the dark spot. That should make for interesting jumps at night. :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
That top pic is actually the second one I took, from my second run. I originally sent them to Carrie and simply wrote "Rad" in the text.

The approach to the right kicker is decently lit, but the landing is kinda in the dark spot. I think the darkest part is where you'll be airborne anyway. ;) There's a large spot of porcelain right in front of the left kicker which should be interesting if you try to scrub speed right before it.

powhunter

Nice brian...they skied pretty well during the day...ex bumps were pretty good too...ya just had to high speed up from the tom to get in a groove...glad ya got out!!

steveo

2knees

that crazy ledge is showing up again. that thing was a blast last time. the bottom just absolutely dropped out on you.

nice pics brian, thanks for putting them up.