• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - 2/28/09

Greg

Staff member
Got up to Killington last night around 9:30. It was in the 40's and pouring rain. By morning it had cooled into the teens and it was snowing lightly. Wasn't expecting conditions to be too great. Got over to Snowshed with the girls and finally got everyone on the lift around 10 am. Snowshed slope looked rough with tons of big death cookies.

We only ended up taking one run over there. None of the girls were too into it. We all decided to just eat lunch. Made our way back to the condo and then I headed back out around noon. Called ALLSKIING to discover he and his cousin Tom were just finishing lunch over at KBL. I took the shuttle over to Snowshed and hopped on the lift there and then made my way over to the K1. We all boarded planning to give Cascade a shot.

We were pleasantly surprised. Nice edgeable LSGR with very little hardpack.There were even some nice mis-shaped bumps filled with LSGR on the lower section. Figuring it might not get better elsewhere, we lapped it 3 or 4 times via the Canyon Quad. We then decided to give the Bear side a try. As we were taking High Traverse, someone skis up behind me and says, "not radical today." :lol: Mondeo!

So we then skied towards Bear and took a few runs over there off the Bear Mountain Quad. The Bear side was pretty busy. Lots of LSGR piles scattered about and we skied a really fast pace. After a few runs I said goodbye to ALLSKIING and Tom and mondeo and I took the new Skye Peak Express quad up (nice lift - big improvement). We made our way to Superstar which was hardpack death on Lower, but some bumpy lines along the trees were good. One girl went down and took a slide towards a big tree, just grazing it with her tails. I then took one more ride up the Superstar quad and took Bittersweet.back to Snowshed to the Trail Creek ski home trail. Got back to the condo around 3 pm.

So overall, not great conditions for the family deal, but I got in a few hours of good skiing and felt satisfied. Putzed around the Access Road this afternoon and ate dinner at Casey's Caboose. Scored one of the upper caboose seats; the kids loved that. Now just chilling at the condo drinking Magic Hats.

Geoff

I didn't even consider going skiing today. I drove to New Hampshire at 1:00 to do some shopping. I was at the Long Trail Brewery from 5:00 to 7:00. I'm probably headed over to the Outback with a friend around 8:00. I might ski a few runs tomorrow.

o3jeff

Good to see you made the best of conditions. Any Highway Star sightings out there that left you in awe over his skiing ability?

Greg

Staff member
Taking forever to upload, but here's a quick vid. See? It wasn't that bad...

mondeo

I didn't even consider going skiing today. I drove to New Hampshire at 1:00 to do some shopping. I was at the Long Trail Brewery from 5:00 to 7:00. I'm probably headed over to the Outback with a friend around 8:00. I might ski a few runs tomorrow.
I was debating it, but I get too accustomed to the pitch at Sundown that if I don't get up to Kmart for a couple weeks it throws me off quite a bit when I go back. You didn't miss much. Probably worse conditions in some spots than the weekend after the ice storm in December, though they actually had lifts running.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Conditions were sweet today!

main.php

2knees

that doesnt look that bad.

mondeo, you gotta stand up man.

although, upon further review, it looks like "flats training" :lol:

i should've known better.

Last edited: