• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

More funding, gondola for Belleayre

x10003q

There is a plan for a bridge and it looks like it is on the map. it is the thicker blue line below the Tomahawk lift.
A gondola will be useless in this situation.

tnt1234

I guess on the one hand, that Gondola line won't encourage people asking down through the beginners pod.

I guess the logic is, people can start their day at Discovery and get up to the top of the mountain two ways - either the quad or the Gondi....

doesn't really make sense to me. and why make it a gondola?

cdskier

doesn't really make sense to me. and why make it a gondola?

In their press release it kind of sounded like they're making it a gondola so they can be like Gore and Whiteface! Some of their logic made no sense. They said things like it would allow them to offer mountain biking and scenic rides during other times of year. Last time I checked though, you can easily do both of those with regular chairs! No need for a gondola.

If that drawing is representative of current plans, then I really question the value of it as lapping the gondola via having to cross a bridge below Tomahawk would not be very feasible. That drawing is the one I saw in 2015 though, so maybe it has changed.

Hawkshot99

In their press release it kind of sounded like they're making it a gondola so they can be like Gore and Whiteface! Some of their logic made no sense. They said things like it would allow them to offer mountain biking and scenic rides during other times of year. Last time I checked though, you can easily do both of those with regular chairs! No need for a gondola.

If that drawing is representative of current plans, then I really question the value of it as lapping the gondola via having to cross a bridge below Tomahawk would not be very feasible. That drawing is the one I saw in 2015 though, so maybe it has changed.
I strongly dislike the gondi at Gore as well. A gondola should be used to cover the longest possible distance at a resort (such as the old red cabin Hindi at gore) not up to the top of the first ridge.

Can't say on whiteface's as I have not been since they installed it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

tnt1234

I guess a gondi is a summer attraction in and of itself?

I think the only benefit to the line on that map is letting everyone start a the lower lodge and offering a second way to the top without over burdening the quad.

mriceyman

I strongly dislike the gondi at Gore as well. A gondola should be used to cover the longest possible distance at a resort (such as the old red cabin Hindi at gore) not up to the top of the first ridge.

People may disagree but i think the gondi at whiteface is needed.. pretty long ride up and down ridges

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Hawkshot99

People may disagree but i think the gondi at whiteface is needed.. pretty long ride up and down ridges

Ok. Like I said, I have no opinion on it as I have not used it.
I have become a big fan of bubble chairs though instead of gondolas as I find them.more comfortable and easier. Plus I am guessing they cost less.

cdskier

I prefer to not have to take my skis off if it can be avoided.

x10003q

The Whiteface gondola sucks. It serves no green terrain and 1 blue trail from the top. The top of the Gondola is the top of Little Whiteface. Little Whiteface is mostly black runs to the mid-mountain lodge and below the mid-mountain lodge it is mostly green. So if you are happy on black runs, you will not use the gondola, but just stay on the Little WF lifts. If you are a blue run skier, you have 1 run off the gondola that eventually opens up to a few more blue runs and eventually a green run. If you are a green run skier, you have to take your chances with a somewhat difficult blue (Excelsior) that is a high speed race track for all the black runs that drain into it and Mountain Run (the other main blue). If you have to yoyo the gondola as a black trail skier because the Little WF chairs are not operating, you get to waste your time and energy on the long flat run out to the bottom of WF from the mid-mountain lodge.

How do you build a gondola with no green trails? ORDA did the same thing at Gore with its new gondola in 1999 and no green trail. At least they added a green trail (Ruby Run) off the gondola in 2006. There is no place to add a green trail off the gondola at WF.

Adding a gondola to Belleayre is insane.

mriceyman

Ok. Like I said, I have no opinion on it as I have not used it.
I have become a big fan of bubble chairs though instead of gondolas as I find them.more comfortable and easier. Plus I am guessing they cost less.

When there we only really take it for first run and coming out of lunch to avoid the uphill climb to facelift.. cuz its soooo far lol..