• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pain in the arse

2knees

Does this go away after you ride a bit more frequently? I was going to try to go today but with my wife not be to happy i didnt push it. Why? cause when i got on my bike this morning to go for a quick spin, i couldnt sit down. holy christ did it hurt. any tips?

gmcunni

Does this go away after you ride a bit more frequently? I was going to try to go today but with my wife not be to happy i didnt push it. Why? cause when i got on my bike this morning to go for a quick spin, i couldnt sit down. holy christ did it hurt. any tips?

Get a pair of biking shorts with a built-in pad. works wonders! doesn't eliminate 100% of the pain but makes it very tolerable.

Also bike seat makes a difference. The seat on my bike when it was new felt great. it broke and the replacement is a different brand. not as comfortable.

Greg

Staff member
Another vote for padded biking shorts. It's almost a requirement. I know you love the wind pants and all, but you just gotta change out of those grimy things from time to time. :lol: You'll get used to it.

deadheadskier

Staff member

um, am I missing something here?

what's the correlation between your wife not being happy and your ass hurting too much to ride your bike :???:

or is it a private matter I shouldn't ask questions about?

:lol:

2knees

um, am I missing something here?

what's the correlation between your wife not being happy and your ass hurting too much to ride your bike :???:

or is it a private matter I shouldn't ask questions about?

:lol:

lol, i see your point.

I didnt push it with my wife cause my ass was hurting so much FROM MY MTN BIKE RIDE ON SATURDAY that it probably wouldnt have been much fun to ride today anyway. that was the correlation.

i put that in caps so there is no doubt about anything here.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
And yes, it does go away after a bit. And you get better and picking your ass up off the seat for the most jarring bumps.

bvibert

Staff member
Get padded shorts, it helps but won't eliminate all discomfort. After a few rides your rear end should start to get more used to it. And yes, you do get better at knowing when to un-weight the seat to help reduce pain further.

o3jeff

You may also want to try a different seat. With the stock seat I used to have a little pain after the rides, after getting a new seat(WTB), it has eliminated any pain.

Gremf

Website
ctmtblog.blogspot.com
Yeah, I would echo the same about a different saddle.

Of course it also depends on how you are riding, too.

Padded shorts will help, too.

Honestly, though, I don't think I ever experienced this when I started riding and I was wearing regular gym shorts.

Warp Daddy

things i learned from riding for over 3 decades :
1. get a friggin "Prostate friendly" seat
2. Keep yer ass off it as much as possible while riding
3. Buy and wear padded shorts
4.yer ASS is still gonna hurt early on every season :D

bvibert

Staff member
You may also want to try a different seat. With the stock seat I used to have a little pain after the rides, after getting a new seat(WTB), it has eliminated any pain.

The type of saddle can definitely make a big difference too. There's different widths and shapes for different shaped rear ends. It really has to do with the positioning of your sit bones, how far apart they are.

mlctvt

It will go away. You have to condition your sit bones.
I get this every spring after the first ride. Most cyclists do.
After the second ride it will hurt less and by the third or fourth it should be gone. You may want to take a day or two off between these initial rides.
This is the number one reason beginners go and buy a Spenco padded heat or other puffy type seat. This is exactly opposite of what they really need.

Grassi21

Just one tip. Stop riding at Tyler Mill you 'Mo.

Edit - F! Gary beat me to this wonderful crack on 2knees.