• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Colorado - April 2017 trip planning

gmcunni

Will be in boulder on Sat 4/7 for daughter's school stuff. we will fly in Thurs night, ski Eldora on Friday (assuming they are still open) then do our school stuff on the weekend.

after that want to drive to the mountains for a few days skiing. Did similar trip last year and as much as i like breck i can't deal with the $150+ window price.

Thoughts on where to go for some mid week skiing at a reasonable cost? abasin for sure, i was thinking of trying something new.. like cooper?

Vortex

I did A basin and Loveland a week later last year. Lots of tickets were floating around in the parking lots. Have some cash. Loveland had more snow. Stayed in Georgetown. Pretty close.

4aprice

I did A basin and Loveland a week later last year. Lots of tickets were floating around in the parking lots. Have some cash. Loveland had more snow. Stayed in Georgetown. Pretty close.

I also used liftopia last year for A Basin and a bogo that can be picked up at gas stations down in the metro area for Copper In April it was pretty easy to get good deals. Its a great time to be out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

chuckstah

There are always lots of Copper, Abay and Loveland vouchers on Ebay as the end of the season nears. People always over purchase 4 packs etc.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Will be in boulder on Sat 4/7 for daughter's school stuff. we will fly in Thurs night, ski Eldora on Friday (assuming they are still open) then do our school stuff on the weekend.

after that want to drive to the mountains for a few days skiing. Did similar trip last year and as much as i like breck i can't deal with the $150+ window price.

Thoughts on where to go for some mid week skiing at a reasonable cost? abasin for sure, i was thinking of trying something new.. like cooper?
Loveland is a great place and should be 100% open. Cooper is fun and somewhat smaller. We skied there last February and are about to go ski it again. Look up the Gems Card - it is $25 and gets you 16 2 for 1 deals at 8 ski areas. If you buy in advance 7 day then the lift tickets are often less for Vail resorts. I also have 18 buddy tickets with Keystone for $89 and if the right day you can ski until 8 pm.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

Winter Park is closing (as of now) April 23rd. Thinking about a date with the Jane and hitting the last 3 days if possible. Fares are low and I'm jonesing CO more then ever after just getting back.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

Winter Park is closing (as of now) April 23rd. Thinking about a date with the Jane and hitting the last 3 days if possible. Fares are low and I'm jonesing CO more then ever after just getting back.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I'm with you....just sitting here dying to take a trip. I've got a week break in mid march and its tempting to catch a flight and I may but really I should just suck it up and save my money for a permanent move in the fall.

Jcb890

We were in Colorado 3 weeks ago and rode 4 days at Copper and I have now taken the plunge...

Next week we'll be in Big Sky, Montana. I figured we already did Colorado, so want to try somewhere else. Come late March or April, I'm probably going to be itching for somewhere else. Colorado was a blast, we'd definitely go back.

I was probably better off not knowing what it was like riding West of New England. Now people ask me how conditions are and I say "Great! (for New England)" when in my heart I know it is shit compared to out West. :lol:

dlague

We were in Colorado 3 weeks ago and rode 4 days at Copper and I have now taken the plunge...

Next week we'll be in Big Sky, Montana. I figured we already did Colorado, so want to try somewhere else. Come late March or April, I'm probably going to be itching for somewhere else. Colorado was a blast, we'd definitely go back.

I was probably better off not knowing what it was like riding West of New England. Now people ask me how conditions are and I say "Great! (for New England)" when in my heart I know it is shit compared to out West. :lol:

Yup definitely bitten by the bug! I get it!

4aprice

I'm so happy to see you making good use of that Max Pass. We think its fantastic for what we do.

I will say that while the west is the ultimate ,in our opinion, there will be days here in the east that will make you fall in love with it all over again. I had one at Loon earlier this season that was just fantastic, especially after the horror of last season, which really had me down on eastern skiing. I still don't think we've seen the best yet here (there are rumors of better times ahead) and I got some more fun weekend plans coming up with the Max Pass so I'm looking forward to that. But its nice to have the best of both east and west.

From what I saw this past week in Colorado the spring out there is going to be great, and its a great year to go out there. April can be one of the snowiest months out in Colorado and when its not snowing, it's tanning time on the snow. The winter crowds (I-70 and such) are gone, price's drop dramatically, just a cool time to be hanging out in the Rockies.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Jcb890

I'm so happy to see you making good use of that Max Pass. We think its fantastic for what we do.

I will say that while the west is the ultimate ,in our opinion, there will be days here in the east that will make you fall in love with it all over again. I had one at Loon earlier this season that was just fantastic, especially after the horror of last season, which really had me down on eastern skiing. I still don't think we've seen the best yet here (there are rumors of better times ahead) and I got some more fun weekend plans coming up with the Max Pass so I'm looking forward to that. But its nice to have the best of both east and west.

From what I saw this past week in Colorado the spring out there is going to be great, and its a great year to go out there. April can be one of the snowiest months out in Colorado and when its not snowing, it's tanning time on the snow. The winter crowds (I-70 and such) are gone, price's drop dramatically, just a cool time to be hanging out in the Rockies.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Oh I'm absolutely teasing about New England and our snow. I love it here and love the winters. I don't think I'd be opposed to moving, but we're not at a point in our lives where that's a realistic option right now.

I have honestly had some fantastic days here on the East Coast this season. Any conditions and day at the mountain is better than not being at the mountain (IMO). If our winter only gets better, I'll be really pumped. Due to what we have going on, we won't be able to travel during late February and all of March, so we'll be doing the day-trip thing around New England like we usually do. Maybe we'll be able to squeeze a weekend somewhere up North on the MAX like Sugarloaf or something along those lines.

We've had a great start to the season, then its been a bit up and down and somewhat dry in most places lately. So, hopefully we'll get back into a nice snowy cycle like early in the season.

I don't know if we'll have the time or funds to do a trip in April, we'll have to see. I'll have to save my pennies, haha.

Are you riding/skiing anywhere this weekend in New England?

4aprice

Oh I'm absolutely teasing about New England and our snow. I love it here and love the winters. I don't think I'd be opposed to moving, but we're not at a point in our lives where that's a realistic option right now.

I have honestly had some fantastic days here on the East Coast this season. Any conditions and day at the mountain is better than not being at the mountain (IMO). If our winter only gets better, I'll be really pumped. Due to what we have going on, we won't be able to travel during late February and all of March, so we'll be doing the day-trip thing around New England like we usually do. Maybe we'll be able to squeeze a weekend somewhere up North on the MAX like Sugarloaf or something along those lines.

We've had a great start to the season, then its been a bit up and down and somewhat dry in most places lately. So, hopefully we'll get back into a nice snowy cycle like early in the season.

I don't know if we'll have the time or funds to do a trip in April, we'll have to see. I'll have to save my pennies, haha.

Are you riding/skiing anywhere this weekend in New England?

I'm glad to hear your New England comment was tongue and cheek. We really do have some great stuff here when the weather cooperates.

We are actually taking our rest bit from traveling now. Kind of like a half time in a game. That means we will be skiing the local hills Camelback Pa and Mountain Creek for at least the next 2 weeks which of course includes Presidents Week. The last weekend of February is open for either a overnight Vermont trip or remaining local. March is completely planned out in New England and out west and now I am getting piggish and want to go out west a 3rd time in late April after hitting as much New England in early April as I can. I'm lucky I have connections that let me do this a cheaply as possible.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Jcb890

I'm glad to hear your New England comment was tongue and cheek. We really do have some great stuff here when the weather cooperates.

We are actually taking our rest bit from traveling now. Kind of like a half time in a game. That means we will be skiing the local hills Camelback Pa and Mountain Creek for at least the next 2 weeks which of course includes Presidents Week. The last weekend of February is open for either a overnight Vermont trip or remaining local. March is completely planned out in New England and out west and now I am getting piggish and want to go out west a 3rd time in late April after hitting as much New England in early April as I can. I'm lucky I have connections that let me do this a cheaply as possible.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I agree completely.

That sounds like a nice time and a good plan. We're staying local (well, still road-tripping) this week and weekend. With tomorrow's snow I think we might try and get to Wachusett which could be real nice.

The only thing we really have solidly planned is Big Sky next week and I'm pretty pumped for that. We will have to see what the rest of the season brings, it'll depend on some things we have planned personally in March so a lot is still up in the air for late season. Our season here in New England should last well into April and May in some places, so that's great and something to look forward to. Maybe we'll meet get to meet up and take some runs one of these weekends.

Unfortunately we have no connections out West, so we'll have to see.

dlague

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Well the 2014-2015 season was dreamy back east IMO - not lots of snowfall per se but consistently cold so the surface did not get iced up and we caught a three day 51" dump at Jay Peak.

gmcunni

any thoughts on steamboat in April? does the lower elevation impact them that much earlier than the big guys down in Summit County?

website says closing projected for APR. 16, 2017. we'd be there 10-13. wonder if that's a problem.

dlague

any thoughts on steamboat in April? does the lower elevation impact them that much earlier than the big guys down in Summit County?

website says closing projected for APR. 16, 2017. we'd be there 10-13. wonder if that's a problem.
Hope it is good since we have comps that are valid after April 1st.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

Is there a particular pass deal you are working with? Steamboat is relatively low elevation for CO and not the best for April, although that is a generality and it could be good for a specific timeframe. If you have maxpass how about Copper? Copper has a high elevation and can be good in April and there is plenty of lodging at the base or nearby. If you were going to pick just one mtn for a few days it would be a good choice. Everything I just said about Copper could also be applied to Winter Park. I believe you mentioned going to A-Basin? That is always a strong consideration for late season and staying in Dillon/Frisco/Silverthorne would put you halfway between A-Basin and Copper. Loveland can also be very good in late season and affordable tickets outside of max pass can usually be obtained for A-Basin, Loveland and Copper. Steamboat and Loveland are particularly good for intermediates. Copper and Winter Park also have intermediate terrain and possibly a bit more advanced/expert terrain available in spring. A-Basin has great expert terrain unless for some reason they close Pali early.
PS: I skied Eldora two days back around 2003. I liked it. It would be on the order of a mid to large eastern ski area such as Waterville, Pico, or Wildcat and if all open there are some bada$$ glades there.

Last edited:

gmcunni

Is there a particular pass deal you are working with? Steamboat is relatively low elevation for CO and not the best for April, although that is a generality and it could be good for a specific timeframe. If you have maxpass how about Copper? Copper has a high elevation and can be good in April and there is plenty of lodging at the base or nearby. If you were going to pick just one mtn for a few days it would be a good choice. Everything I just said about Copper could also be applied to Winter Park. I believe you mentioned going to A-Basin? That is always a strong consideration for late season and staying in Dillon/Frisco/Silverthorne would put you halfway between A-Basin and Copper. Loveland can also be very good in late season and affordable tickets outside of max pass can usually be obtained for A-Basin, Loveland and Copper. Steamboat and Loveland are particularly good for intermediates. Copper and Winter Park also have intermediate terrain and possibly a bit more advanced/expert terrain available in spring. A-Basin has great expert terrain unless for some reason they close Pali early.
PS: I skied Eldora two days back around 2003. I liked it. It would be on the order of a mid to large eastern ski area such as Waterville, Pico, or Wildcat and if all open there are some bada$$ glades there.

no particular pass deal except for not wanting to pay window rates @ Breck. was starting to expand the search range to Steamboat and Aspen because wife doesn't ski and wanted a town for her to hang out in and not be too bored. Breck is a great town but she's been there a couple times so looking for something different. if we end up back in Breck (or dillon or frisco) nobody will be sad.

snoseek

Steamboat in April is usually pretty mushy I would imagine. I like it there in the Cold months when they're getting that super cold pow. As it is now they're on a 56 inch base according to todays snow report and that's really not all that deep considering its mid march. Me personally I would stay high