• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

There's nothin' like a Weber Grill!

Greg

Staff member
Yup. Great for decking, siding, grills, cars, etc. I have a Craftsman 6 HP, 2300 PSI pressure washer. The only con is it has the ability to destroy the surface you're "cleaning".

sledhaulingmedic

Webber has a great product, although I have a Ducane. Be carefull when you compare Webbers (or almost any product) sold a specialty store with one from a Discounter, like Home Depot or Walmart. They may be similar, but usually not the same. Have someone from a specialty store point out the differences, you'll be surprised.

While I like the conveniece of gas, I've become partial to the taste for real charcoal. Though I mostly use it for Smoking, there's nothing like the Big Green Egg!

Greg

Staff member
sledhaulingmedic said:
Be carefull when you compare Webbers (or almost any product) sold a specialty store with one from a Discounter, like Home Depot or Walmart. They may be similar, but usually not the same. Have someone from a specialty store point out the differences, you'll be surprised.
I'd buy this. My Weber Genesis Silver-B came equipped with stainless grates and two flip up shelves. I bought it from a hardware store for less then Home Depot was asking. The same grill at Home Depot now has one shelf and porcelain grates. :blink:

hammer

Genesis Silver A vs. Silver B

Does anyone have the Silver A model? I know that it's smaller then the B, but is it worth it to spend the extra $100 for the Silver B?

I like to do cookouts but I'm not a grilling enthusiast.

Also, is it still worth it to buy the grill from some place other than Home Depot? Does Home Depot have to sell the same product?

Greg

Staff member
I still think the Silver-B is the better value. It has three burners and the same cooking area as the higher end Genesis models. I would also still check around the local hardware stores to see if for a similar price to HD you can get an "upgraded" model, i.e. stainless grates. BTW, it's been three years and my grill is still humming along happily...

skijay

I think mine is the Silver A (the one for about $350). I purchased mine, assembled, from Namco. Since you live in MA, I am sure there is a Namco near you.

It was cheaper than Home Depot and it has the porcelain grates as opposed to the cast iron grates at HD. It seems like HD had some contract w/ Weber to supply the grills with the cast iron grates.

I think my Weber is going on 4 years old.

SkiDog

I use an old faithful Weber CHARCOAL grill...while I find propane to be considerably easier to use and cook on, I find I find FAR superior flavor from the charcoal..I DONT use a briquet unless im in a TOTAL pinch. I mostly use REAL WOOD CHARCOAL..boy what flavor..

So im from the charcoal is better than propane camp in the BBQ arena...but as long as youre BBQing its all good...

:beer:

M

F

flyingfree

I have to say, I will only purchase a Webber Grill with a cover after reading this. I've been procrastinating buying another grill. The last one is in a heap of rust...good old cheapo 3yrs old.

I really got a kick out of reading this!! Thanks!!

:D

hammer

Greg said:
I still think the Silver-B is the better value. It has three burners and the same cooking area as the higher end Genesis models. I would also still check around the local hardware stores to see if for a similar price to HD you can get an "upgraded" model, i.e. stainless grates. BTW, it's been three years and my grill is still humming along happily...
I just went with the Silver B model. Didn't go with the stainless grates, but it was on sale for $50 off the regular price.

I get it delivered tomorrow, so if I can get a propane tank it'll be cookout tomorrow night. :D

Greg

Staff member
hammer said:
I just went with the Silver B model. Didn't go with the stainless grates, but it was on sale for $50 off the regular price.

I get it delivered tomorrow, so if I can get a propane tank it'll be cookout tomorrow night. :D
Congrats. You will love it. They ain't cheap, but look at it as an investment. I consider mine more of an appliance that just a grill...
:beer:

hammer

OK, so I've had a good grilling season with my Weber Silver B but with the colder (and hopefully snowy) weather I won't be grilling too much more before spring...

Does anyone store their grill inside for the winter? My wife wants to store the grill inside but I'm wondering if it's necessary. The grill does have a cover.

bvibert

Staff member
Just use it year round then you won't have to worry about storing it! ;) What are you afraid of the cold or something??? :-?

hammer

bvibert said:
Just use it year round then you won't have to worry about storing it! ;) What are you afraid of the cold or something??? :-?
Not afraid of the cold...usually to lazy to shovel the snow off of my deck, though. :wink:

Actually, you've given me a good excuse to leave the grill out over the winter. I take it that there are no worries about having the propane tank out when the temps go below 0 degrees F?

Greg

Staff member
hammer said:
bvibert said:
Not afraid of the cold...usually to lazy to shovel the snow off of my deck, though. :wink:

Actually, you've given me a good excuse to leave the grill out over the winter. I take it that there are no worries about having the propane tank out when the temps go below 0 degrees F?
What B said. I just cleared all the furniture off my deck. The only thing left is the Weber. It's been outside 24/7 for 3 1/2 years now and it still looks and works great. The actual Weber cover makes a difference. I grill all year, slightly less in the winter, but not much less. Shoveling snow off and around the grill has become protocol. Neighbors may thing I'm nuts when I'm out there grilling with a beer in hand in the cold and snow. Extreme cold will have no effect on the propoane tank. Remember, some folks have large ones that service the house outside...

WWF-VT

I have a 3 burner Weber (Genesis model?) with stainless steel grates - it's been outside on my deck for over 4 years. I just move it closer to the door so there is a shorter path to shovel in the winter !

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
OK, so I've had a good grilling season with my Weber Silver B but with the colder (and hopefully snowy) weather I won't be grilling too much more before spring...
BE A MAN! get out there and keep on grilling! don't let the cold air get you down. i'm still firing up my weber charcol, the air is more refreshing in the winter time :D

hammer

I know that this is an old thread, but whatever...

Just replaced the grates and flavorizer bars this past weekend. Went with the cast iron enameled grates which are sturdier than the originals. Realized that while I did replace the drip tray on occasion I never cleaned the bottom tray. Had to take the shop vac to clean out all of the gunk...:oops: