• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 12/5/08

bvibert

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: 12/5/08

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown

Conditions: Hard hard pack, loose granular, and somewhat sticky snowmaking

Trip Report: I almost bailed on tonight after hearing that Temptor was close from MRGisevil. When I heard that Downhill04 was still going I decided to head out for a couple of hours anyway. I got there around 8:00 to find that they were making snow along Stinger, Temptor, and the upper part of Nor'Easter (over the bumps). Temptor was indeed roped where it starts off of Nor'Easter, but at least the stretch of bumps on Nor'Easter were still open. They skied pretty good, the snow being made on them was pretty chalky. Other than that the conditions were good considering the recent weather. There were some patches of very hard hard pack, I would stop short at calling anything I saw ice though. Aside from the slickish spots it was mostly loose granular that was pretty deep in spots and skied quite nice. I skied almost every run down Nor'Easter, we did one run down Stinger just for something different. I contemplated just walking back up the Nor'Easter bump section and lapping that all night, but then that seemed kinda silly.

All in all a pretty good night, it was nice to ski with Jay again and to meet his wife. Honestly, if they didn't show up I probably would have gotten bored and left earlier than we did at about 9:50.

Greg

Staff member
Cool. Glad you got out. With temps firmly in the teens this morning, I bet the snow made last night is great. Did it look like they were hitting the bumps on Temptor pretty hard?

bvibert

Staff member
Yes, they were going full bore on Temptor last night. I bet it's skiing awesome this morning.

Greg

Staff member
Yes, they were going full bore on Temptor last night. I bet it's skiing awesome this morning.

Jeff texted me that there's fresh snowmaking and no tracks down it. I told him to go make some!

gmcunni

sundown needs a webcam or two. one on temptor after the flats pointing down the hill would be fun to watch!

DPhelan

put in 2 hours yesterday morning, not bad for first week in december in CT. ate it hard on the temptor bumps since they were solid ice from the last few melt freeze cycles. some sticky manmade would put them in good shape for sunday