• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 12/7/08

Greg

Staff member
Brian sent a few pics. These are from around 10 am. Sorry for the delay. :oops: :lol: ;)

powhunter on the Nor'easter bumps:
1207080956.jpg

Lower Temptor:
1207080958.jpg

Looking sweet over there right now. :snow: :spread:

MR. evil

They were pretty sweet yesterday, can only imagine the fresh snow made them even better. I may try and get out for a few hours today / tonight with you guys.

MrMagic

They were pretty sweet yesterday, can only imagine the fresh snow made them even better. I may try and get out for a few hours today / tonight with you guys.

nice !! ill be out there by 6PM

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Sundown was great this morning. :D Brian and I skied from about 9:30AM to 12:10PM, sometimes with powhunter, sometimes by ourselves. The guys said the backsides of the bumps were a bit icy. Otherwise, the snow was fantastic. Light flakes falling. No crowds. Ideal day, IMHO. I had a blast going down Nor'Easter, especially when the trail was empty and I could use the whole trail. Confidence is returning! :D

skiing_001.jpg

Last edited:

powhunter

great day out there today!! Nice taking some runs with Carrie and that ZZ top dude!! Bumps were pretty good some ice troughs to look out for, and the back sides were a little icy......little bigger and irregular than last week Wishful thinking but think they should groom em out and re seed while they are closed this week On my last run I became back seat and hit one of those wall bumps...became air borne and landed on my back...kinda sore so im prob gonna bag it for tonight.... Ran into greg and his daughter as I was leaving....you guys have fun tonight!!!!

MR. evil

great day out there today!! Nice taking some runs with Carrie and that ZZ top dude!! Bumps were pretty good some ice troughs to look out for, and the back sides were a little icy......little bigger and irregular than last week Wishful thinking but think they should groom em out and re seed while they are closed this week On my last run I became back seat and hit one of those wall bumps...became air borne and landed on my back...kinda sore so im prob gonna bag it for tonight.... Ran into greg and his daughter as I was leaving....you guys have fun tonight!!!!

I though there were some really funky lines about 1/3 of the way down. No matter what line I started on, I hit a certain point and was thrown to the right. There were a couple of walls that I just couldn't handle. But the last 2/3 of the run are pretty sweet and I was able to get in a very nice rhythm. I also thought there were some nice lines forming on the NorEaster bumps.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Brian was nice enough to grab some video of me today for my analysis. :D There is some improvement, but I have a long way to go.

On Nor'Easter:

More to come as they process...

o3jeff

Where's the music in the video?:D

If you keep getting out there like you've been you'll be a pro in no time!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I don't do music in my videos. I have no time for that silliness. :p

And thanks! :D Now I just need to figure out what to do with my arms. :oops:

Here's Brian on the Nor'Easter bumps:

And that's all I have. Spectacular, I know. :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
Nice out there today. I'm leaving in a little bit for round two with my bump skis and clown poles. :spread:

Greg

Staff member
Had a nice couple hours with Abby. 3 runs on Little Joe and then a snack break. Then to the top and did Canyon Run and then another on Nor'easter. Both had nice snow on the side, but the middles were scratchy. Abby did fine on Canyon Run, but froze on lower Nor'easter. I think the narrowness of it freaked her out. I felt like that jackass dad as she limped down it crying much of the way. Yikes! We made it though and she was excited to highlight the new trails on her trail map. Hopefully Tom's Treat will be open next weekend and we'll just lap that and Canyon Run.

Gonna fuel up on a big meatloaf dinner my wife is cooking. I should be on skis again by 6:30.

Greg

Staff member
Brian was nice enough to grab some video of me today for my analysis. :D There is some improvement, but I have a long way to go.

On Nor'Easter:

More to come as they process...

Part 2 of me on Nor'Easter:

I have vid of Brian coming next...

I see some damn good skiing in there. Pretty well balanced. Just smooth it out a little and bring those hands in a bit closer and start working on some pole plants. Nice job! :beer:

I think I saw a steezy double pole plant right as you filled the frame. Radical! :razz:

awf170

You're already better at carving than at least half the CLITS...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I see some damn good skiing in there. Pretty well balanced. Just smooth it out a little and bring those hands in a bit closer and start working on some pole plants. Nice job! :beer:
Thanks, Greg! I'm getting there... still have a lot of catching up to do to the rest of you. At least my confidence is returning. And yes, I need to figure out how to properly pole plant. :lol: I didn't even bother with my usual lame plants when I knew Brian was taping as I didn't want them broadcasted. :oops:

Greg

Staff member
Got back to the mountain about 6:30 and was greeted with some snowmaking blowing into the lot from the monster cannon they had running at the base. Brian pulled in as I was booting up. Took a run or two and bumped into MrMagic. Soon hooked up with Brian again and we all basically just lapped Temptor all night.

Bumps were, well, firm. Some glare ice troughs poking through as well. Still skiable for the most part though. Just light footing required and a good line selection. Definitely skill building bumps rather than ones you could let loose. That is except for MrMagic. He was ripping and airing out troughs on his new 105 mm waisted skis with ease. I forgot how good of a skier he is. Goose stompin' is definitely not his game. :spin: Makes sense that he placed 2nd in the bump comp last March. We all also had fun popping off a small hit that formed along one of the snow cannon islands on Exhibition.

Around 9 pm 2knees showed up out of nowhere and we all took a few runs. Good times. Not stellar let 'em rip type bumps, but your standard good ole ice moguls. That's how the CLITS roll. :lol: We still hammered them out all night. Still great to have bumps in early December, no matter how gnarly. We're very fortunate. Toasted the night with a beer in the lounge afterward. Thanks Chris! :beer:

bvibert

Staff member
Good night overall. I'm very sore and beat up from taking those spills on the ice. My double ejection superman impression onto a large ice flow was not a good idea. It was nice to get out with some friends and work on some ice bump technique, if I wasn't with Greg and MrMagic I probably would not have skied in the bumps the whole night. I'm glad that I finally got their line figured out towards the end, it made things much more enjoyable.

I have some video which I'll take a look at later today sometime.

Ending the night with a brew in the lounge was a nice way to cap it off, thanks again Chris!

Hopefully by Friday night I'll be able to move my left arm more than a couple of inches so I can bring my a-game to whatever gnarlyness Ski Sundown has to offer.

Greg

Staff member
Yeah, you were taking some tumbles Brian. Hope your arm/shoulder feels better. I'm glad I never dropped yesterday. I can't imagine that those bumps were all that forgiving.

SkiDork

Carrie - VERY nice edging. You're really gettin on them.

The only thing I can see to work on would be minor, just keep those arms in more on the turns.