• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 1/28/09 (night)

Greg

Staff member
Took a fair amount of motivation to head out in the freezing rain tonight, but I got to the mountain and skiing around 7 pm. There were probably 40 cars max in the parking lot. On my first lift ride up I saw mondeo on Stinger. Snow was soft, almost springlike with a bit of crunch to it. The Nor'easter bumps were still whacky, but fun as hell tonight. That icy stretch was completely edgeable. Temptor was sick. The new snow/sleet mixed into the snow softened by the rain resulting in nice soft bumps, but a tad quick due to the crunchiness. Not mashed potato bumps, but soft and springlike and not a spec of ice or even hard pack to be found. We gave them a solid B+ grade. Spring bumps at the end of January? We'll take it. Skiing in the rain rules! So glad the mountain stayed open. Ski on all night.

Took a few runs and then I noticed Nor'easter was roped for grooming, but the Canyon Run rope dropped and I hit it and scored sweet fresh cord. Flew down it laying some okay carves (I think), then on to the flats and popped off all the whales. They made a lot of snow there. I then flew right into the Ex bumps. Really fun non-stop run. Got back to the top and N'E was still roped but met up with mondeo finally. We ended up taking two high speed runs on Gunny. Visibility was tough with the fog rolling through and the snow was recently groomed but rutty from the cats. Still managed to do some carving (I think). I think Mike took about 3 turns on Gunny, maybe less. He was down fast.

Then met up with powhunter and the three of us hammered N'E to Temptor all night. The bumps were sick, the left kicker was open and I had probably my second best night of the season so far. Good ripping with some cheezy air. The bumps below the kicker are friggin' mint. We even did a "truel" down Ex with Steve, Mike and I high speeding it side by side by side. mondeo left a few runs early, but Steveo and I hit it right to the end. I noticed some slickness to the troughs on the lines we were skiing on the last two runs. It might have been cooling off and we skied all the slushiness out.

All in all a fun night! I had a a minor breakthrough too. Lead change, a somewhat advanced mogul skiing technique, started to click for me a bit. That's why I love skiing the bumps. So many things to learn and remembering to put it all together just adds to the challenge. I felt my skiing was pretty good tonight. I needed a night like this. Steve and I were considering sharing a pitcher, but the bar was closed. I'll get you next time Steve! I'm totally primed up for Magic on Friday!

powhunter

Great night...who would have thought the bumps would be that good after the NCP....Nice aggressive skiing Greg!! First time I ever saw you open it up!!

steveo