• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

(half)Rockered skis: Bogus?

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
I'm not a tech junky so I don't know much about different ski designs. I've been skiing for over 50 years & consider myself a pretty good all mountain, all conditions skier. Strictly recreational & have no interest in racing, never did. I ski for my own pleasure. This year I purchased a pair of Dynastar Outland 80 XT which is supposed to be a mixed rocker & traditional camber ski which the OP is asking about. I've found these ski's to handle all conditions favorably. They are very easy turning ski's that handle hard pack & soft snow equally well. I haven't skied them yet in soft spring conditions but I'm sure I will be impressed with the way they handle in these conditions also. They also track well on long fast run outs & are very quiet under foot. I give them a big thumbs up. Just my $.02.

Did you demo anything else before purchase and what were you skiing previously?

steamboat1

Did you demo anything else before purchase and what were you skiing previously?

Yes I took demo runs on several different ski's, (Salomon, Vokl, Rossignol etc) don't remember the exact models.

Previously I skied on Dynastar Legend 8000's & loved them so I was a little biased towards the Dynastar brand to begin with.

The new ski's are even nicer.

steamboat1

:smile:
Cool. Do you still have the 8000's and would you like to sell them? :-D

Lol, yes I do but they've been tuned so many times that the base is worn out. That's the only reason I purchased new ski's to begin with. They are now my brand new rock ski's.:smile:

I think I've had them for about 7 years. They're the old ones with the orange & black tops.

The new ski's are supposed to be rockered both in the tip & also the tail with a traditional camber in the center of the ski.

Last edited:

bigbog

....All anyone has to do is detune 5 inches of the outside edge of a traditional ski to get the same effect. Remember detuning? We did it with straight skis before we started beveling the bottom edges on shaped skis....

Maybe for the resort crowd that has no time to detune?....LOL. The only thing I can think of thinnmann. I've YET see anyone in my life....with the gummystone? in hand....:-o Granted at resorts I usually ski the groomed intermediates and trees.