• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poll on Banning Snowboarders from Places like MRG and Alta

How do Azone skiers feel about banning snowboarders at places like MRG and Alta?

• Like it

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • Don't like it

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 32 35.2%

• Total voters

Mapnut

Really, you haven't seen them? I'm talking about just one turn by one boarder, leaving a rut 3-4 inches deep and 10 feet long. They haven't ruined my day yet but I suppose I could catch an edge in one if I didn't see it coming.

Cannonball

Really, you haven't seen them? I'm talking about just one turn by one boarder, leaving a rut 3-4 inches deep and 10 feet long. They haven't ruined my day yet but I suppose I could catch an edge in one if I didn't see it coming.

Damn! I feel like I can carve pretty freak'n hard. But a 4" deep trench on a groomer would be seriously impressive.

rocojerry

I think that was a waterbar.

snoseek

Speaking of concentrating douchbags.....care to meet up to ski this week?

LOL!!!

Anyhow the next couple i'm at the wood i think due to higher elevation (snow), Saturday I'm blacked out up there. Sun/mon/tues ect...I'm open as long as any snow that falls is relatively cold, if not I'm going high. Should you guys decide to hit kwood let me know. It may be your best bet with snow levels going to 7000+ tomorrow and friday.

How is rose doing?

snoseek

If those snow levels come down thurs eve then Nstar may be pretty good being sheltered and all huh?

Trekchick

LOL!!!

Anyhow the next couple i'm at the wood i think due to higher elevation (snow), Saturday I'm blacked out up there. Sun/mon/tues ect...I'm open as long as any snow that falls is relatively cold, if not I'm going high. Should you guys decide to hit kwood let me know. It may be your best bet with snow levels going to 7000+ tomorrow and friday.

How is rose doing?
Rose snow is holding up great but the wind hold has kept them shut down a lot. If its not on wind hold tomorrow, I'm working the women's clinic.

If you decide to hit Squaw/alpine one day, let me know, I can get yoga 1/2 of ticket. ($46)
I'll let you know what we're doing FridaySat I have tentative plans at Northstar on Saturday. If you come ton North Lake, bring a bag and stay the night at our house.

snoseek

Rose snow is holding up great but the wind hold has kept them shut down a lot. If its not on wind hold tomorrow, I'm working the women's clinic.

If you decide to hit Squaw/alpine one day, let me know, I can get yoga 1/2 of ticket. ($46)
I'll let you know what we're doing FridaySat I have tentative plans at Northstar on Saturday. If you come ton North Lake, bring a bag and stay the night at our house.

I'm too poor at this point to really buy any sort of tag-good deal though. 4 months of not working is starting to take its toll, still a month to go. Is my 7wood good at northstar on saturdays?My Tahoe Value is not..

This storm looks to really crank up on friday!!!!!

Mapnut

Damn! I feel like I can carve pretty freak'n hard. But a 4" deep trench on a groomer would be seriously impressive.

I could take some photos, but I don't think I'll get out again this year. Of course you guys don't see what you leave behind you.

dennis

Sorry about that. I couldn't help it. oh and I have not bought a ticket in my life, sorry bout that to.
My only complaint about snowboards is the deep ruts they carve on groomers. If they make a difference in moguls, I couldn't tell because I stink so bad in them anyway. Generally, I want snowboarders around to buy tickets and help pay the bills.

Cannonball

I could take some photos, but I don't think I'll get out again this year. Of course you guys don't see what you leave behind you.

I'll keep my eyes open for trenches like that. I know I don't leave 'em. With my size 11s I'd boot out WAY before I could get 4" deep on a snowboard carve. Maybe on my fat skis. But then again 115mm under foot is only 4.5" wide. So even on those boot-out is an issue. I'm picturing a very heavy, very strong snowboarder with very tiny feet.....

legalskier

What I want to know is....what did skiers moan about before snowboards came around?

I'm waiting for the day when I see an older snowboarder getting irked by the younger ones when they do things like sit en masse across a trail below a lip....or buzz by at a high rate of speed....or [fill in any type of annoying boarder behavior].
That being said, this is a non-issue for me. I don't ski with boarders so going to someplace like MRG isn't a concern. I can handle myself just fine on the hill thank you, so I simply adjust to the conditions they create. Those weirdly shaped moguls used to irritate, but now I see them as an opportunity to become better in the bumps. Wth, make lemonade.

Dragging the inside hand on the snow doesn't help either. :wink:

mlctvt

One thing I noticed when we were at Park City earlier this year was the lack of snow boarders compared to skiers. I'd estimate the ratio of snow boarders at 10%-20% or less. It really surprised us as here in southern VT I'd estimate it's closer to 40-50% snow boards.
We skied Sunday through Friday and there were lots of retired folks at the mountains. Maybe that made a difference? Or maybe Deer Valley and their anti-boarder mentality is rubbing off on PCMR and Canyons too?

thetrailboss

Staff member
One thing I noticed when we were at Park City earlier this year was the lack of snow boarders compared to skiers. I'd estimate the ratio of snow boarders at 10%-20% or less. It really surprised us as here in southern VT I'd estimate it's closer to 40-50% snow boards.
We skied Sunday through Friday and there were lots of retired folks at the mountains. Maybe that made a difference? Or maybe Deer Valley and their anti-boarder mentality is rubbing off on PCMR and Canyons too?

In our research, we found that PCMR was the next one in line after Deer Valley for pricing. Deer Valley was outrageous: PCMR was less, but not much less. So maybe I am generalizing, but with that kind of pricing structure they have sought a different clientele than what most snowboarders fall into.

bobbutts

Donno about all the arguments about attitude/danger/snow whatver, but clearly it changes the vibe or feel of the place to allow only skiers.. I think same would apply for boarder only if a resort goes in that direction. I think that having different types of places available is a good thing. Sad to miss out on that terrain if your only skill is not allowed, but since I know how to ski and board both it's a non-issue for me

Cannonball

Donno about all the arguments about attitude/danger/snow whatver, but clearly it changes the vibe or feel of the place to allow only skiers.. I think same would apply for boarder only if a resort goes in that direction. I think that having different types of places available is a good thing. Sad to miss out on that terrain if your only skill is not allowed, but since I know how to ski and board both it's a non-issue for me

Your phrasing of the that (your skill is not allowed) made me think of this a different way. How about a mountain that says "advanced skiers and riders" only. If your skill doesn't put you in this category you are not allowed to slide on our resort. I wonder how that would play in terms of niche marketing and general acceptability.

Gilligan

I'm not sure what the 7 wood is good for. If I didn't have people meeting me on Saturday, I'd consider heading your way.

Why are you and Snoseek carrying on a private conversation about Tahoe in a Northeast ski forum?