• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Colo. sets fatality record

Glenn

Statistically speaking, you're more likely to die driving to/from the mountain.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah I mean it is somewhat sensationalized (not to those who know someone who died) but millions and millions of skier visits each year and the death rate is incredibly low. I don't really consider skiing an "extreme" sport unless you are really hucking huge cliffs and engaging in risky behavior. Your are way more likely to damage your knee or break a bone than anything else.

MadMadWorld

Silver Couloir is a pretty tame line compared to other ones in that area. I imagine the snow pack was the culprit. It probably wasn't what he thought it was and ran over something that caused him to fall. Of course, this is just speculation based on my own experience there.

Glenn

Risk can be cumulative. If you are driving AND skiing in a day you've increased your overall risk for that day as compared to only driving.

You forgot to factor in the health risks for the on mountain cheeseburger...or worse...fries n' chicken tender combo. :lol:

snowmonster

^ Or the consequent heart-attack induced by the prices for said burger and chicken tenders.

Is 20 the record for fatalities in CO in a season? Other than the headline, the article doesn't say anything about that stat. I would suspect that the record would be more than that.

catskills

I wonder if Colorado results will end up breaking a new high for skier deaths in the USA.

On the east coast I think the number of skier and rider deaths is low compared to other years. Here is what I know of so far on the east coast:

Jay Peak Feb 2012

Surgarbush Feb 2012

7 Springs Jan 2012

Sugarloaf Jan 2012