• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown - 3/7/09

Greg

Staff member
Beautiful day withe family. Took a few runs over at Sunnyside. Mom then took a run down Gunny! Then mom and Abby took a run. I took two on Gunny with Jarrod, Carrie and Jeff. Kickers are getting built. One at the top, one at the end of the flats. Carrie was doing a great job in the lower angle bumps. o3jeff was killing it the whole way. Amazing progress. Bumps are small, but epic and springlike. The entire run is rippable. My wife then took another run and then I took one more on Gunny. Think I heard a call out from Grassi while on Gunny. Kids were more into playing the snow at the base than skiing, but whatever. Saw the 2knees family heading in on the way out. Sundown really feels like home with all the AZers and families coming and going throughout the day.

Overheard a lot of chatter about the bump comp and the Meat Heads being there. One dude was all radded out in neon green mogul pants. Was tempted to offer him my boots. ;) Jarrod indicated Chris wants to have the bump comp be a top to bottom iron man. We need to calm him down a bit. :lol: Might actually make for a unique event though. But might result in some heart failures too. :lol:

Great day. Bumps should be epic tomorrow too.

mondeo

Jarrod indicated Chris wants to have the bump comp be a top to bottom iron man. We need to calm him down a bit. :lol: Might actually make for a unique event though. But might result in some heart failures too. :lol:
Someone should let him know that a WC course maxes out at 450ft vert, or something like that. I think the BMMC does 300ft or so. Top to bottom is about undoable for most amateurs.

drjeff

Someone should let him know that a WC course maxes out at 450ft vert, or something like that. I think the BMMC does 300ft or so. Top to bottom is about undoable for most amateurs.

Some of the inevitable fatigue crashes would be epic! :lol:

o3jeff

Definitely a great day, the spring bumps were giving me lots of confidence out there and was feeling real comfortable until the end when I was getting tired! Skied with a bunch of Az'ers, gmcunni, jake, severine, greg, 2knees, grassi and bvibert good to see everyone out there.

When we took a break we talked to barts wife, she probably lapped gunny top to bottom about a dozen times so we all better start practicing or she will have this thing won!

2knees

great day for sure. saw greg and his wife and kids on the way in. kids were running around the base area like mad people.

took the kids over to the magic carpet area until their lesson started. my wife must've been able to tell how antsy i was cause as soon as the lesson started, she sent me packing.

gunny is getting there. it sounds like it was even better for me in the late afternoon then greg in the early. there were quite a few people skiing it and more then a couple rippers i've never seen there before.

there is a line, about 1/3rd the way down on the left that just zippers all the way to the bottom. its already sick.

Chris, please dont do this top to bottom. it'll be less of a mogul thing and more of a survival comp. i really dont think anyone is gonna be able to really tear that up hard from top to bottom. i managed one run with only one stop and it damn near killed me.

2knees

talked to one guy who was on some twin tips and ripping it up. he was like, "great way to kill a hangover" :lol: i couldnt agree more, nothing chases out the booze faster then bump skiing.

sLoPeS

back from a great 3 hours at sundown, well really just gunbarrel. had a blast lapping gunny, maybe a dozen runs. pretty stoked to have that 30min away. the top section has some good lines forming but then in the middle you have to be a little more creative. the lower section is awesome. it should only get better with more skier traffic. a little on the tight side, but for the most part i think they ski really well. wish i had a camera or atleast my phone to take a pic at about 530ish up at the top, it was looking that nice. good base for the most part, a couple small patches of darkness starting to show, but hey its mogul skiing. pulled out of the lot around 6 and it started dumping liquid snow on the ride home. sometimes that isnt a bad thing and can kind of smooth out the moguls. tomorrow should be another A+ day if ur into spring bump skiing. if im not too hungover again, i may slip over there for a couple hours. good stuff for sure. GET IT!

Grassi21

sick day. great bumps. i'm getting hammered now. cant wait for tomorrow.

2knees

gonna try to get out there for a quick two hours. if my parents will take the kids for a bit, i can pull it off. rain should pull out by late morning. could be even better tomorrow. just need to do something about that one area and it'll be top to bottom sickness.

sLoPeS

grey sweatshirt, blue twin tips, grey hat by any chance???? i think i talked to you briefly.

grey ems long sleeve, tanish beanie, white crowbars, Foils.

i remember telling someone i was hungover. was skiing gunny from about 3 to 545.

MrMagic

I got to sundown at 4 pm, I took three “iron man “ non stop runs, then ran into Keith and his friend chris, both their first trip to sundown, woo woo !!! Keith had a pair of bump skis on his feet and was skiing really well even though they had been there skiing the bumps for hours! After they left around 5 pm it started to rain and I found that my water resistant ski pants were just that, I left soaked but still rocking my tee-shirt it was a good day!

Last edited:

2knees

grey ems long sleeve, tanish beanie, white crowbars, Foils.

i remember telling someone i was hungover. was skiing gunny from about 3 to 545.

yeah that was you. nice job too, you were killing it.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Even I will admit that it was a great day for bumping. :D

Got there around 11 but between talking with Chris and taking my time on the lodge, I wasn't on the top on the snow until nearly 11:30AM. Took my first run down Gunbarrel and found that the snow on the skier's left was...not nice. Ice patches with mashed potato piles. That actually force me to try the bumps on the lower third. Much better in there. Stuck to Gunny and saw Greg heading down shortly thereafter. Skied with him, Jeff, Gary, Jake, and Grassi. I was the slow poke in the back, skipping the top half to ski what was probably more difficult than what they were doing. :oops: and then dipping back in by half way to 2/3 of the way down. The line all the way to the left on the bottom 1/2-1/3 was nice. Even I could ski it today! :D Only took one run not on Gunny; the guys decided to go down Canyon so they could hit the Ex bumps. I didn't get far in the Ex bumps before they were already in the liftline, so I bailed quickly on those. Called it quits after a few short hours; those bumps really wear you out! Oh, I was on the Celebrities today; I'm starting to really like them, though there's still some funkiness in my technique on groomers that I need to iron out.

Brian joined me shortly after I called it quits with the kids. We took Mags out on the Magic Carpet; Ethan just wanted to play in the snow. Brian went up for a couple runs while I hung out with the kids, then he took Mags skiing again. The kids loved it! Mags is starting to listen and try to follow directions, but I think it will be a little while still before she's ready for the chair lift.

Great skiing with you guys today! I'm working on a few photos I took from the bottom when I was with the kids. If anything looks good, I'll post it. Gary was also doing video today, though I don't know if he plans on posting it.

ETA: BTW, thanks, guys, for the encouragement! :D I'm still embarassed trying the bumps in front of you guys but it was just too much fun today to skip them. :D

bvibert

Staff member
Great day today! I only got two runs in on the bumps, but they were totally rad and have me really pumped for tomorrow. I had a great time with the kids, unfortunately it was only my daughter's first time out this year (after 2-3 sessions last year). She had a little trouble with the magic carpet at first and discouraged early on, opting to just play in the snow with her brother instead. After I got back from my two runs she seemed more into it, she kept saying that she wanted to ski the bumpy trail while pointing to gunny! Good start!!! She took many runs off the carpet and was starting to get it, making something that resembled a wedge and getting on and off the carpet by herself.