• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
This was supposed to be a winter project, but I never got around to it, so it became a spring project. My fork (fox float) has been leaking oil on one of the stanchions. I also need some new wheels as the ones on my bike (sun single track with XT hubs) have seen a lot of miles and the hubs were already repacked/rebuilt once).

So, the fork is getting Pushed, I went for Pushes own HV air pistons and I think I'm going with some handbuilt (by my LBS) Mavic 819's pair with Chris King hubs. Anyone ride on the Chris King hubs? I've read that, like a lot of finely engineered products, they need a decent amount of love to keep their superior ride quality going.

MR. evil

This was supposed to be a winter project, but I never got around to it, so it became a spring project. My fork (fox float) has been leaking oil on one of the stanchions. I also need some new wheels as the ones on my bike (sun single track with XT hubs) have seen a lot of miles and the hubs were already repacked/rebuilt once).

So, the fork is getting Pushed, I went for Pushes own HV air pistons and I think I'm going with some handbuilt (by my LBS) Mavic 819's pair with Chris King hubs. Anyone ride on the Chris King hubs? I've read that, like a lot of finely engineered products, they need a decent amount of love to keep their superior ride quality going.

If money were no object I would have King or Hadley hubs. But for the $$$ it's pretty hard to be Hope's. What kind of bike (XC, trail, AM, DH) are these wheels for? Kings and 819's will be pretty bomb proof, but also heavy. Take a look at the new WTB Frequency i23 rims and of course the Stan's Flows.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
If money were no object I would have King or Hadley hubs. But for the $$$ it's pretty hard to be Hope's. What kind of bike (XC, trail, AM, DH) are these wheels for? Kings and 819's will be pretty bomb proof, but also heavy. Take a look at the new WTB Frequency i23 rims and of course the Stan's Flows.

I'm on a trail bike....which I love, a Kona Dawg Dee-lux that I've had for quite a few years. I ride mostly techy XC trails, no real DH and I don't really race, so weight really isn't an issue for me. I will stop by the LBS either today or tomorrow and see what they have to say. I'd also rather pay some more upfront for something that will give me years of good service. I've read good things about the Hope hubs but don't know anyone with personal beta.

bvibert

Staff member
What's wrong with the Juicy 5s? Mine have been super reliable over the last few years. I bled them once, but only because I had the change the hoses for a longer rear. Otherwise I just have to change the pads every year or so.

The Shimano's look nice, but it looks like you'll have to wait a couple of months to get them?

MR. evil

What's wrong with the Juicy 5s? Mine have been super reliable over the last few years. I bled them once, but only because I had the change the hoses for a longer rear. Otherwise I just have to change the pads every year or so.

The Shimano's look nice, but it looks like you'll have to wait a couple of months to get them?

If you have never tried anything else the Juicy 5's might seem great. But having recently tried a bike with good brakes the difference is astounding. Much more power and better modulation.

I actually ordered them through my bike shop, but they gave me a bro deal that was about equal to the price on that web site plus shipping.

bvibert

Staff member
Well, they stop my fat ass just fine, and I have no problem with the modulation. I've never been in a situation where I needed more power. I guess I'll just continue to be blissfully ignorant.

MR. evil

Well, they stop my fat ass just fine, and I have no problem with the modulation. I've never been in a situation where I needed more power. I guess I'll just continue to be blissfully ignorant.

Seeing how you like them so much, I will give you a sweet deal on a used pair of J5’s

bvibert

Staff member
Seeing how you like them so much, I will give you a sweet deal on a used pair of J5’s

LOL, I knew that was coming! What the hell would I want to buy those pieces of crap for? :lol:

All set in the brake department for now, but thanks anyway!

WoodCore

Not really a winter project but starting to make the transition to tubeless. Setup the back wheel and will eventually get to the front if I like it.