• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

'09 Bump Skis

powbmps

It's hard to find any bump ski reviews out there, but the September issue of Ski Racing lists the "Best in Bumps, Pow and Pipe" under their '09 Buyer's Guide.

Volkl's Wall Mogul

What's special: The Wall sports a full wood core with vertical sidewalls. Originally designed for Jeremy Bloom, the Volkl Wood Core Concept construction gives the ski optimal rebound and edge grip but still balances flex to allow the ski to follow the snow surface and navigate through moguls. It's the choice of U.S. Ski Teamer Hannah Kearney.
(113-65-97 for 155, 160cm, available in 155, 160 & 165 cm. $795)

Rossignol's Radical Mogul

What's special: For one, it looks cool. With the use of Microcell-high grade Polyurethane molded cores-technology, the ski dampens and absorbs shocks and vibrations without comprising responsiveness. Traditional sidewalls produce direct edging pressure. And a modification of the laminate materials gives the ski reactiveness and stability.
(101-65.5-87 for 160cm, available in 150, 160, 167 & 175cm. $700)

Head's Mojo Mogul

What's special: This ski has been good-to-go since 1991. Using the same mold as the old slalom ski, Head has created one of those gems. Its wood core offers tremendous density under foot and its fiberglass wrap means it also has a lively spring. Plus, it's pretty darn cheap.
(89-60-80 for 171cm, available in 171 & 181cm. $549)

powbmps

These are their picks, but I don't know if they even "tested" the F17 or Bloodline. Plus there isn't any information regarding how the testing was done. Sounds almost like they pulled information right off of manufacturer websites.

Greg

Staff member
Kinda fugly though...

F9090.jpg

Greg

Staff member
Enter I [Hart] Skiing posting about the F17 in 3.....2.....1....

powbmps

I can't find the Wall Mogul on Volkl's website. They only show the Rebellion.

This year I'm bucking the trend and dusting off my 207 Assaults :razz:.

(I'll just be using my Twister's)

2knees

This year I'm bucking the trend and dusting off my 207 Assaults :razz:.

I had a pair of Atomic Arc 205's i used occaisonally one year. I remember not being able to fit into most of the lines, literally. The tails would constantly be catching the face of the bump behind me.

Greg

Staff member
I'm sure they came up with the name from reading your posts on here.... ;)

Definitely. I'm the only doofus that says that word anymore.... :lol: I want some royalties... ;)

mondeo

Volkl Wall Mogul

(113-65-97 for 155, 160cm, available in 155, 160 & 165 cm. $795)

Head's Mojo Mogul

What's special: This ski has been good-to-go since 1991. Using the same mold as the old slalom ski, Head has created one of those gems.

Umm, from these, I don't believe a word they say. Volkl hasn't updated their site yet, but I'll take Al's Ski Barn's word for it that they haven't changed the Rebellion, and that the sidecut is 89-65-78. And according to Head's website, the Mojo Mogul is based on Moseley's influence, which means that it's closer to the K2 715/Johnny Moseleys than an old slalom ski from 1991 (and looking at my old 715s, I see the resemblance.) And who was making 156cm slalom skis back in 1991?

Philpug

Sorry for the long awaited delay.

Yes, the F17 is the cream of the crop mogul ski for this upcoming season. You will have to pay for the privledge to play, they ain't cheap, but they are worth it. Forerunner Ski Shop on the Killington access road will have them.

powbmps

Forerunner Ski Shop on the Killington access road will have them.

Load them up with 180's and 184's so I can grab a discounted pair next summer ;-).