• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you carry your smartphone while skiing?

bheemsoth

I've always carried my BlackBerry/Android phones in my chest pocket, but my Samsung GS3 seems significantly more fragile than my past phones. I have a nice everyday case that works well with my armband I use for the gym, running, and biking. I guess what I'm looking for is some type of universal hard shell that I can put the phone in (almost like a Tupperware for phones). I spent some time searching Amazon but couldn't come up with anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

xwhaler

I find that if I put it in my outside jacket pocket the battery gets zapped quickly if it's cold. I usually wear a fleece under my coat so out it in that zipper and it stays a bit warmer.
I will often turn it off though while skiing and check any messages when I take a break in the lodge or on the chairlift.

Bene288

My pants have a locking zip cargo pocket. It's fleece lined and pretty easy to open, so that's where my phone rides.

bheemsoth

Otterbox cases are great, but I could never find a way to make one work with an armband without having you take it out if the case.

Glenn- thanks fur the sleeve suggestion. I will look into that.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

mlctvt

I find that if I put it in my outside jacket pocket the battery gets zapped quickly if it's cold.

Sometimes I just put one of those disposible handwarmers in the same pocket as the phone, keeps it toasty and going all day.

Cornhead

I just put it right in my pants pocket, and so far, it's been fine. Knock on wood.
This, I've been using it as an MP3 player too, though I think I would like a separate player. I have one of those rubber cases for my phone. The only problem is sometimes its hard to slide in and out of the pocket. You have to make sure not to put bills in the same pocket too, it tends to grab them and deposit them on the ground.

pmb

Either my pants pocket because its the warmest or the chest pocket in my jacket because its the safest. Really I don't use my phone since its my mini vacation away from civilization. I do listen to my iPod tho.

gottabelight

lifeproof is way better than otterbox. it is slimmer, completly waterproof and shockproof. so much better!

Hawkshot99

Chest pocket, as I use it for music as well. I have a hole in the jacket for the wire to run through. On cold days I stick a toe warmer to the back of the phone to keep the battery warm and make it last longer.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

o3jeff

I just keep mine in it's everyday UAG case and keep it in my inside chest pocket. Will have to try the hand warmer trick on the colder days.

conwayeast

Never heard of this hand warmer thing before. I also never really noticed significant battery drain on colder days to begin with either.

drjeff

Chest pocket with my regular belt clip case facing out.

My coat + my usual heat generating capacity is enough to keep my phone "warm" for battery performance. Plus, this year having switched to a new Droid Razr Maxx, where my battery life is LONG as is, i've had no problems even running GPS ski apps all day log

Hawkshot99

I dont really have problems with my battery usually. But my "phone pocket" is on the outside of the jacket for easier acess. I also dont wear insulated jackets so it doesnt get much warmth. On the coldest of days I notice a decreased battery life, and my friends iphones really notice it.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2