• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Ike and AlpineZone.com

Greg

Staff member
The AlpineZone.com Web site is hosted in a data center in Houston, Texas. Obviously, Hurricane Ike will be striking the Texas coast sometime later this week. I wouldn't expect any service interruption, but you never know. More info:

http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20647

Just an FYI.

o3jeff

So what is your emergency plan that will keep us posting? back up servers throughout the country? Would really hate to miss out on a "trip or event" posted for a mtb ride.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
My company, which employs thousands in a Houston facility has just announced it will be closed from Friday until Monday. This is the first time I can recall this happening. Better start those backups now...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
So was I, about the fingers crossing...

Anyway, we made it through Hurricane Rita 3 years ago just fine:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/5044-hurricane-rita-alpinezone-com.html

My Houston sources inform me Rita's track turned it into a near miss for Houston, as did the other storms for the past 25 years. The model consensus for Ike now projects the real possibility of a direct hit on Houston-city.

Rita
http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-rita-2005
Ike
http://www.stormpulse.com/

It will be a real test of this data center to see how the redundant power and network connections stand up to a real strike. I am sure the mission-critical customers are crossing every bone in their body about now. they could be without power for days, and the network is apt to be interrupted from many paths. I checked out the Cyrusone web and while they talk about physical security, water is often electronics worst enemy.

In one of our data centers last fall, also in Texas, there was a main power circuit breaker failure, which kicked on the generators. It took three days to replace what turned out to be a non-stock item. Unfortunately, the generator failed after 36 hours of operation and killed the data center. It was a real mess.

I would think at a minimum, there will be degradation of performance due to constricted network paths in and out of Houston. I know when I had a web hosted on servers in the Florida area, we had performance issues for several days.

It looks like the data center has a very thoughtful, well-invested plan. Seeing how it works out will be interesting.

We are lucky this isn't happening during ski season, now that would be a real issue!

Last edited:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Yes, thus his "...beady little eyes and flapping head ...".

images

Greg

Staff member
Good News

I just checked and it turns out, ALL servers hosting AlpineZone.com and related services (SkiMRV, SkiADK and the AZ.net ad server) now reside in the Atlanta data center, not the Houston data center. So, you can all now head into the weekend without worry that your post whoring will be impacted.

bvibert

Staff member
I just checked and it turns out, ALL servers hosting AlpineZone.com and related services (SkiMRV, SkiADK and the AZ.net ad server) now reside in the Atlanta data center, not the Houston data center. So, you can all now head into the weekend without worry that your post whoring will be impacted.

Good news! :beer:

Holy crap..that's the best news ever,,,my life no longer sucks..:daffy:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

Thank the lord for the divine intervention!!