• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Michigan VASA trail, ooop Nort!

bvibert

Staff member
Speak for yourself, should of came on the REAL ride Sunday, just look at Steve presentation.

I meant 'we' as in the real riders her in CT, not the ones dicking around spending more time walking up hills and riding roads back in the dark after getting lost than actually riding single track. :smash:

Trekchick

I was just busting your chops. We're not exactly climbing mountains here in CT either. ;)

Though are typical ride is pretty techy (if you ask me)
I saw some of the stuff you're doing in the TR's and I think we're riding quite similar terrain, with the exception that we have a bit more sand and you have more rocks.

And, yea, I get that you were just bustin my chops. I got noooooo problem with that! You'll get yours!

BTW, SAND SUX!

Trekchick

Instead of starting a new thread for lil o me, I'll add to this one.

Our usual Wed night ride was just me and Kris again, so I asked if she'd help me with some skilz, like bunny hopping, and get the sand gremlins out of my head.

We spent a bit of time, until I got it!!!
Then we rode, rode hard, no pics, but tons of sweat!!!!!

Thursday night we drove to Traverse City to do the VASA trail with Tom again. We did the 9 mile loop to beat sunset, and ripped out an average of a little over 9 mph. Well............Kris and Tom did that, while I set a pace of my own at 8.6 ish.
My wrist was really sore and swollen from the bunny hop lessons but I didn't know it until we started to ride. The first bunny hop I tried to do on the trail nearly put me into orbit. OUCH!
I think I stretched some connective tissues, errrrr, sumthin.

Only a couple pics, sorry we were rippin so we didn't take much and I didn't fiddle with my camera settings so they're kinda fuzzy
n830505017_3893330_2811.jpg

n830505017_3893331_3201.jpg

Thanks for readin!

Trekchick

WOW! You guys are FAST! Are you sure this is the first season you've really gotten into MTBing?
Oh heck no. I've been riding 5 years. VG for longer than that. This is the first year we've ridden together much. Its also the first year that I've really attempted obstacles.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Well that explains that. I knew VG has been riding for a while, but for some reason I thought you really hadn't much before now. I was starting to think I was hopeless as far as speed goes. :oops: Makes a lot more sense now.

Greg

Staff member
Well that explains that. I knew VG has been riding for a while, but for some reason I thought you really hadn't much before now. I was starting to think I was hopeless as far as speed goes. :oops: Makes a lot more sense now.

Not to take anything away from TC and VG's skills, but if those pics are indicative of the typical terrain, than 8 MPH is not that far from the realm of possibility for you too, Sev. The trails we are riding at Nass are significantly tighter, twistier and more technical and I'm not sure if they can even be ridden that fast. 5 or 6 MPH maybe.

Trekchick

Not to take anything away from TC and VG's skills, but if those pics are indicative of the typical terrain, than 8 MPH is not that far from the realm of possibility for you too, Sev. The trails we are riding at Nass are significantly tighter, twistier and more technical and I'm not sure if they can even be ridden that fast. 5 or 6 MPH maybe.
I agree. Though we don't tend to stop to take pics on the hill climbs and technical twisties, I believe our terrain is significantly flatter and far less rocky than the terrain you ride.

MR. evil

I would have to agree with this. 8 to 9mph average is not that big of a deal on the terrain shown in all of the pics I have seen of this spot. There is no way any weekend warrior could do that kind of pace at Nass or any of the other more technical riding spots in New England.

Trekchick

I would have to agree with this. 8 to 9mph average is not that big of a deal on the terrain shown in all of the pics I have seen of this spot. There is no way any weekend warrior could do that kind of pace at Nass or any of the other more technical riding spots in New England.
Again, I agree, whole heartedly. I have always figured that you have more rock and elevation than we have here.
The VASA trail is ranked as an intermediate trail with a few tight technical sections, but it is not an advanced/expert trail. In this pic that Kris took of me, we are in one of the twisty, long, technical up hill grades, (not a hill but an up hill grade). Other than the other section that is down hill that is similar in twisty tight trees, and two fairly large hills. The rest is fairly whoo hoo open winding trails through the hard woods. Fun, and easy to get cruisin!
n830505017_3898020_3222.jpg

I will post a trail map and review of the trail when I get it scanned.

oh and congrats on 1000 posts

congrats

Instead of starting a new thread for lil o me, I'll add to this one.

Our usual Wed night ride was just me and Kris again, so I asked if she'd help me with some skilz, like bunny hopping, and get the sand gremlins out of my head.

We spent a bit of time, until I got it!!!
Then we rode, rode hard, no pics, but tons of sweat!!!!!

Thursday night we drove to Traverse City to do the VASA trail with Tom again. We did the 9 mile loop to beat sunset, and ripped out an average of a little over 9 mph. Well............Kris and Tom did that, while I set a pace of my own at 8.6 ish.
My wrist was really sore and swollen from the bunny hop lessons but I didn't know it until we started to ride. The first bunny hop I tried to do on the trail nearly put me into orbit. OUCH!
I think I stretched some connective tissues, errrrr, sumthin.

Only a couple pics, sorry we were rippin so we didn't take much and I didn't fiddle with my camera settings so they're kinda fuzzy
n830505017_3893330_2811.jpg

n830505017_3893331_3201.jpg

Thanks for readin!

That looks like a sweet trail..making me want to go out and buy a bike..

Again, I agree, whole heartedly. I have always figured that you have more rock and elevation than we have here.
The VASA trail is ranked as an intermediate trail with a few tight technical sections, but it is not an advanced/expert trail. In this pic that Kris took of me, we are in one of the twisty, long, technical up hill grades, (not a hill but an up hill grade). Other than the other section that is down hill that is similar in twisty tight trees, and two fairly large hills. The rest is fairly whoo hoo open winding trails through the hard woods. Fun, and easy to get cruisin!
n830505017_3898020_3222.jpg

I will post a trail map and review of the trail when I get it scanned.

Nice action shot!!!!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Carrie, I wasn't doing the things you're doing, at the stage you're doing them.
You will be kicking it up a notch in no time at all!!!
Speed will come with confidence and there is no doubt you are progressing
I concur. Carrie, you should be proud of the progression and confidence you've gained in a short time!!!
Awww, you guys are making me blush. :oops: ;) Any progress makes me happy. I am not a natural athlete.

Sounds like a lot of fun! :D And you and Kris definitely have a lot of fun riding there. I love reading your TRs on Diva and here! Different perspective than the guys give here, for sure!

Trekchick

Carrie, I'm convinced you'd have a blast riding with us!

Jeff and GSS, thanks for the kudos on the post count, but I hadn't even noticed. There is a difference between a posting gear ho, and a post ho!