• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

driving from SLC to jackson? to big sky?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I know. it's an hour. but I'm alone and staying in big sky is prohibitively expensive, and staying in Bozeman is basically as far as west Yellowstone while being 2 hours further from my starting point in SLC. it's not ideal but I'm trying to make lemonade with this trip. if the weather forecasts are to be believed, I will have clear driving the entire trip :-(

That's not too bad. I also got 56 minutes when I just mapped it.

KustyTheKlown

I think you'll wind up traveling 191, which was mostly flat from what I saw. Pretty dark, but flat. If no snow, it travels fast too.

If you don't eat dinner at both Buck's T-4 Restaurant and Gallatin Riverhouse Grill, then you're fuckin' up. They're both on 191 also. Just posting about it makes me want to get a nice steak at Buck's.

thanks, noted. I'm alone, so I doubt there will be very much restaurant dining. but maybe i'll treat myself one night and sit with a book.

looking forward to more social airplane ski trips in January (Washington, visiting a buddy and travelling with another), and march (crested butte/copper/winter park with the big crew)

KustyTheKlown

dang - a little bummed to just discover that the west yellowstone entrance to the park is closed to regular vehicles in the winter. only open to snowmobile and snowcoach. i wanted to get off the hill around lunchtime one day and take a drive thru the park and see some sights and wildlife. the only entrance that is open to cars in winter is south of Bozeman, which would be like 2+ hours from big sky, and then 3+ back to west yellowstone

Jcb890

thanks, noted. I'm alone, so I doubt there will be very much restaurant dining. but maybe i'll treat myself one night and sit with a book.

looking forward to more social airplane ski trips in January (Washington, visiting a buddy and travelling with another), and march (crested butte/copper/winter park with the big crew)
If you want to eat good, you can go alone. Buck's T-4 is much nicer, sit-down type of restaurant. Awesome steak though and would be nice to go and sit with a book.

Gallatin Riverhouse Grill is kind of a typical BBQ place, nothing fine-dining or anything too crazy. Go and grab a rack of ribs and some beer.

thetrailboss

Staff member
dang - a little bummed to just discover that the west yellowstone entrance to the park is closed to regular vehicles in the winter. only open to snowmobile and snowcoach. i wanted to get off the hill around lunchtime one day and take a drive thru the park and see some sights and wildlife. the only entrance that is open to cars in winter is south of Bozeman, which would be like 2+ hours from big sky, and then 3+ back to west yellowstone

Right. Most of Yellowstone is closed in the winter.

Jully

That's not too bad. I also got 56 minutes when I just mapped it.

56 minutes is not bad at all! I guess if you're going out west on a vacation you'd like to be right on the mountain, but when I'm staying somewhere overnight back east I consider it a win if I'm under an hour. For example I usually stay in Conway or Berlin NH to ski the River (if I'm not day tripping) and both those are about 60 minutes.

KustyTheKlown

yup. i dont treat this so much as a vacation. its the same cracked out shit i do every weekend, complete with an overnight 6 hour drive. it just happens to be on bigger mountains.

KustyTheKlown

confirmation from big sky social media that Madison side opens 12/15. that effectively will double terrain the day I show up, and that stuff is all untouched snow pretty much as it hasn't opened yet for the season. not for lack of snow. for lack of people. great news.

drjeff

Yup, did the drive from Gardiner, MT (the North entrance of Yellowstone) on over to Big Sky in August of 2016, while we were out there. it's a solid 2 hrs.

And if you did the driving portion of Yellowstone that is open in the winter, the ride out from Mammoth Hot Springs towards the East Entrance through the Lamar Valley while incredibly scenic and often filled with literally 1000's of bison in the Lamar Valley would add just in driving time in the park, about 3 hrs for the out and back loop, and that's not even taking into account the likely many, many times you'd just want to stop and stare at the scenery. It would be a full, LONG day trip from Big Sky to hit up that part of Yellowstone for sure....

Jcb890

confirmation from big sky social media that Madison side opens 12/15. that effectively will double terrain the day I show up, and that stuff is all untouched snow pretty much as it hasn't opened yet for the season. not for lack of snow. for lack of people. great news.
Hell yeah! I'm happy for you, but at the same time very jealous. We loved Big Sky last year and not sure if a trip is in the cards this season.

KustyTheKlown

getting off work in 20 minutes and flying out to SLC tonight, getting the crappy car, and driving to big ski. 5.5 hours, 360 miles. there is SNOW IN THE FORECAST, and tomorrow could be a 5-10" powder day, and big sky will be opening up the Madison side for the first time. not gonna lie, i'm terrified of this drive, in the dark, in the snow, without 4wd. if i have to pull over and nap a bit in the car i will, but i'm really really hoping that isn't necessary

my supreme goggles came in the mail yesterday. they are not high end by any means, and they are OTG so theyre a little awkwardly large, but hot damn these are hypey as hell. will be fun to use for spring skiing. i could be an extra in a rap video.

s_59971cea78b31c4779024183.jpg

Jcb890

getting off work in 20 minutes and flying out to SLC tonight, getting the crappy car, and driving to big ski. 5.5 hours, 360 miles. there is SNOW IN THE FORECAST, and tomorrow could be a 5-10" powder day, and big sky will be opening up the Madison side for the first time. not gonna lie, i'm terrified of this drive, in the dark, in the snow, without 4wd. if i have to pull over and nap a bit in the car i will, but i'm really really hoping that isn't necessary

my supreme goggles came in the mail yesterday. they are not high end by any means, and they are OTG so theyre a little awkwardly large, but hot damn these are hypey as hell. will be fun to use for spring skiing. i could be an extra in a rap video.

View attachment 22923
That drive would worry me too in the dark without 4WD. Drive safe KTK and make us all jealous with lots of great photos.

The Madison area/side was fun. They have a nice 6-person chair over there and a good mix of all types of terrain. We also liked the parking at the Madison lodge area, you can park really close to the trail and lodge, no wasted time with a shuttle or a long walk with bags to the lodge. The Headwaters Double services some fun and pretty gnarly terrain in that bowl.

KustyTheKlown

yup, i went to big sky with a big group of friends last march and we stayed in a sweet condo steps away from moonlight lodge. i am familiar with the terrain. the hike to stuff at headwaters is awesome. excited about the opening of madison side simply because it hasnt been open yet and fresh tracks should be ample. otherwise i prefer the headwaters, ramcharger, and tram terrain. stoked. but will pull over and wait it out if anything i'm doing seems too dangerous.

mikestaple

I think the blowing and drifting around 4 corners would be worse than the steady climb up the mountain. (Then again - SLOT MACHINES at 4 corners! Woooo.) Just watch that last climb up the mountain from 191. It is steep in a few places.

Big Sky is a fantastic place. Challenger Lift. Go for it!!!

abc

Miss the last update yesterday. Hope he made it in one piece and not too exhausted to get up to enjoy the powder.

KustyTheKlown

that was nightmare travel folks
made it to west yellowstone at 12:45, jusssst a touch too late to go ski
sat in 2 hours of traffic to go 10 miles to JFK
flight gets delayed from 9 to 11 10 min before scheduled boarding
had to cancel 1 am car rental
called Expedia, who sorted me with some garbage rental agency at 5 am. I did not know it was off airport.
get there at 5 via $15 taxi and no one is working
they arrive at 620, asks me where I'm heading, he tells me his fleet can't go to mt
back to airport, budget rental, sweet new subaru with 1000 miles, $430 for the week, not terrible
the drive was awesome and beautiful and would have been deadly in a shit car

lessons learned - 1) don't be a cheap ass about rental car. 2) don't reserve in advance, haggle at counter for upgrade for free

Edd

Jesus, what a shitshow. Cool getting the Subie, though.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone