• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What should you wear inside your ski jacket?

New Daddy

I didn't know your feet would feel so much better before starting to wear wool socks.

By the same token, should you wear wool inside your ski jacket?

All I have is cotton clothing, and I'm wondering if I will feel drier by wearing more breatheable clothing insde.

moresnow

I didn't know your feet would feel so much better before starting to wear wool socks.

By the same token, should you wear wool inside your ski jacket?

All I have is cotton clothing, and I'm wondering if I will feel drier by wearing more breatheable clothing insde.
Ditch the cotton. You will be more comfortable with synthetic layers. If you can afford it, wool base layers are great.

〽❄❅

As little as possible. I hate layering and being all bound up, garment to garment incompatibility with thick seams collars and zippers pushing against my neck, underarms etc, so darn uncomfortable! I'm 100% for down, wool and technical synthetics.

Cornhead

I start out with a bro, or manssiere, especially if I'm anticipating skiing bumps. As others have stated, synthetics are your friend, nothing worse than skiing in a cold, soggy bro, except having your moobs flopping around. I know if my bump technique were better, my upper body, including my moobs, would be more calm, but for now I'll stick with the bro.

On groomer only days I skip the bro, the rythmic swaying of my moobs on groomers is not annoying at all. Follow other's layering advice from the bro outward.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

dlague

I start out with a bro, or manssiere, especially if I'm anticipating skiing bumps. As others have stated, synthetics are your friend, nothing worse than skiing in a cold, soggy bro, except having your moobs flopping around. I know if my bump technique were better, my upper body, including my moobs, would be more calm, but for now I'll stick with the bro.

On groomer only days I skip the bro, the rythmic swaying of my moobs on groomers is not annoying at all. Follow other's layering advice from the bro outward.

Too funny!

I actually wear a cotton T-shirt. Layered with a synthetic long sleeve, then add a thicker base layer which can be a Spyder pullover, synthetic mix sweat shirt (Northgate or UA) and if it really cold a down packable jacket. My jacket is relatively this but does have a omni heat layer. Is very water and wind resistant. That set up works for me.

Never cold!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

I skied in WV over the weekend and yesterday was very cold for the mid-Atlantic. High temp in low single digits, but also strong wind and lots of guns blowing snow at you on trails and while riding lifts. At one point I had six layers on my upper body: 1) long sleeve under shirt (wool poly blend), 2) long sleeve poly shirt with high neck, 3) thin long sleeve sweater (silk blend), 4) long sleeve cotton shirt (worn last hour on slopes in final, desperate attempt to stay warm using every piece of clothing I had), 5) fleece vest, and 6) ski jacket with hood up! Other contributing factor: only groomers were open at the mtn I was at (Timberline, WV). Got to dress warmer for groomer skiing.

8Jan17
900x900px-LL-7cd5b003_CopyofDSCN7212.jpeg

BTW, my fat head's blocking it, but lift tower that failed last year is right behind me.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Wish I took a selfie, we had 3" of LES at Greek yesterday, skied from 8:30 - 11:00, when I walked into the bar I pulled a one inch round glob of ice of off my stache, I tossed it towards my buddy's draft, but missed.

jimk

Wish I took a selfie, we had 3" of LES at Greek yesterday, skied from 8:30 - 11:00, when I walked into the bar I pulled a one inch round glob of ice of off my stache, I tossed it towards my buddy's draft, but missed.

Sounds like a good way to get unwanted free beers. I look too comfy in that picture, must have just come out from a warm-up break.

dlague

I skied in WV over the weekend and yesterday was very cold for the mid-Atlantic. High temp in low single digits, but also strong wind and lots of guns blowing snow at you on trails and while riding lifts. At one point I had six layers on my upper body: 1) long sleeve under shirt (wool poly blend), 2) long sleeve poly shirt with high neck, 3) thin long sleeve sweater (silk blend), 4) long sleeve cotton shirt (worn last hour on slopes in final, desperate attempt to stay warm using every piece of clothing I had), 5) fleece vest, and 6) ski jacket with hood up! Other contributing factor: only groomers were open at the mtn I was at (Timberline, WV). Got to dress warmer for groomer skiing.

8Jan17
900x900px-LL-7cd5b003_CopyofDSCN7212.jpeg

BTW, my fat head's blocking it, but lift tower that failed last year is right behind me.
Ohhhh maahhhh gawwwwwd! An Epic Ski sticker shown on AlpineZone Zone! Where is the loyalty!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Cornhead

Sounds like a good way to get unwanted free beers. I look too comfy in that picture, must have just come out from a warm-up break.
Na, I drove! Probably woulda bought him a fresh one though, he's a wuss, he wouldn't have finished it. JK GD

prsboogie

Post of the year!
JUST LAUGHED OUT LOUD!! Wth is wrong with you!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone