• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown 1/11/09

bvibert

Staff member
Good time skiing today. We didn't get as much snow as they were predicting , but everything was still covered nicely. The new bumps were good for the most part, a few funky spots here and there. Several good lines down Temptor. Jarrod was there later in the morning building the kickers for the bump comp in a couple weeks, it looked freaking huge to me. The Ex bumps seemed a little far apart and were pretty slick in between, they're planning on top coating them tonight which should help out a lot.

I skied Temptor from a bit after 8 to around 11 when my wife showed, after that I skied until about 1 with her on NE. Throughout the day I skied with Tim, Greg, Steve, Gary, Jake (Gary's son), Mike (Mondeo), Grassi and his buddy.

The place was jamming when we left, parking people deep into the auxiliary lot and shuttling them back.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I tried the Celebrities again today but I was fighting them the whole time; I'm starting to think they're just too much ski for me right now. Switched to the Joyriders and I had more fun. It was definitely hopping! Had a little waiting to do on the trails but it's all good. I am picking up some speed in the Ex bumps, though they're so far apart it's hard not to. ;) I still don't know what the hell I'm doing but I'm doing it. I did try the Nor'Easter bumps once but just as I entered them, a group of Sundown Race Team kids (8 years old?) showed up and they were eager to bomb them. I aborted the mission. Next time, I guess. I definitely need more practice when there's fresh snow. The piles moved around with scraped off in between were messing me up a bit today; too used to the groomed stuff, I guess. My skiing was definitely not pretty today.

Short day for me but I'm just happy to have gotten out there. It was a bonus since I haven't skied with Brian in about a month.

powhunter

Good time skiing today. We didn't get as much snow as they were predicting , but everything was still covered nicely. The new bumps were good for the most part, a few funky spots here and there. Several good lines down Temptor. Jarrod was there later in the morning building the kickers for the bump comp in a couple weeks, it looked freaking huge to me. The Ex bumps seemed a little far apart and were pretty slick in between, they're planning on top coating them tonight which should help out a lot.

I skied Temptor from a bit after 8 to around 11 when my wife showed, after that I skied until about 1 with her on NE. Throughout the day I skied with Tim, Greg, Steve, Gary, Jake (Gary's son), Mike (Mondeo), Grassi and his buddy.

The place was jamming when we left, parking people deep into the auxiliary lot and shuttling them back.

o3 jeff called me early this morning and had to bail. Hope you feel better bro!! Got to the mtn around 7 hoping for some epic blower pow , looks like the mtn got about 6 inches which was great!!! Think I skied with pretty much everyone who was there except mondeo and severine. Ended up lapping temptor with greg and pat!! Pat and Greg were pretty much in the "zone"!! Had a few decent runs myself near the end but had to bail around 1230.. Nice skiing with you all!! Me and the GF might hit it up tomorrow!!

steveo

2knees

fun couple of hours. bumps got better as they got skied in. i bet greg had an awesome afternoon as they were really coming into shape when steve and i left.

kicker looks really good. nice and big and with a decent vert takeoff.

kinda glad jarrod kept it poled off for today cause i wasnt sure i was in the mood to push it.

greg was skiing really well and i felt ok at times, but steve had the run of the day. absolutely killed it. nice work man, its the best i've seen out of you and i've seen alot of good stuff.

gmcunni

So who got the first chair?

Not me. i'd guess we were on chair 10 or maybe 15.

Great day, had loads of fun.

was dissappointed when i pulled the car out of the garage to see that there wasn't anything new since i had gone to bed last night. Roads were not horrible but worse than i expected. Ride took about hour twenty instead of the usual hour but we pulled into an empty parking lot around 7:35 or so.

Got on a chair about 7:55. Jake and I opted to get fresh tracks on GB for our first run. I took the right side of the trail and had a nice 3 or so inches of fresh pow the whole ride down. Next headed over to Nor'Easter. Bumps on the top were funky but fun. then we stayed right on NE. more fresh 3" untracked on the skier's left and onto the EX. bumps. EX bumps were a little spaced out but fun for me and Jake.

Jake and i started alternating picking trails. My pick was always temptor :) I had a blast on temptor today. my kind of bumps, not huge and they skied pretty soft. Jake started getting the hang of it and actually picked temptor once when it was his turn.

Shot some video, if i can get over my technical problems with the new camera I'll post something later.

Greg

Staff member
Steve and I got third chair and 2nd and 3rd runs down Temptor. Bumps were great and just got better. Middle is the money line. Big props to Jarrod who worked his ass off solo to build that kicker for over 2 1/2 hours. He really lives up to his username (ishovelsnow) here. Nice work. Dedicated freak right there. :lol: The kicker looks nice. Good loft and nice and wide. It'll settle out and they'll shape it closer to the comp. Jarrod's going to have his boys duplicate it on the other side. They will be poled off normally, but we discussed a few practice session, perhaps Wedneday night. Stay tuned.

I skied Nor'easter/Temptor from 7:55 until 2 pm when my legs absolutely died. I was really happy with my skiing today which is encouraging after the funk I've been in. Finally a good solid session. I took a break a run or two after Pat and Steve left. Shouldn't have. My legs never recovered. Feel beat today in a good way. Made good use of the singles line after lunch.

Video is almost there. I really like how it came out. Rockin'. I let 2knees in on the song choice. Wait until you see MR. evil in there, a totally different skier than last year. Rippin', for sure, but he's fired as a camera man. He filmed Pat, Steve and my most epic runs and all I got was five seconds of Tim's thumb. Sonova! ;)

I had a friggin' blast today.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
My 3.5 year old said she likes the music. She and the boy (1.5 years old) heard the music and had to come watch. They wanted to know why Daddy wasn't in it. LOL!

Nice skiing, guys! :daffy:

Greg

Staff member
Thoughts on all the new bumps:

Nor'easter: Looks like a lunar landscape. More of an amusement park ride than a bump run, but it got progressively better as it skied in and is actually quite challenging despite the flat pitch:

Temptor: Sweet lines and several of them leading up to where Jarrod put in the right hand kicker. The middle is money. Beyond the kicker spot, they space out a bit, but with some snowmaking or natural, those will grow too. A few big piles at the bottom which were fun to pop off of and try to do some cheezy tricks. :lol: Only saw one or two small ice patches. Most of the troughs skied in as very edgeable hard pack.

Exhibition: Really spaced out with flat icy "troughs" in between. Anything short of a foot or massive amounts of snowmaking will not result in tighter lines. However, that area gets a lot of sun and the first warm day when those areas between the bumps get soft and those will grow nicely. Really, as they are is perfect for what they are meant to be and that's learning bumps. Mission accomplished with Ex bumps as far as I'm concerned.

Looks like two chances for some snow this week which should keep the bumps primed. I think they're going to hit them with snowmaking too. We should be set for a while on the mogul front.

Still smiling after today. Really had a lot of fun. I missed skiing with Grassi and mondeo, but had fun with Pat, Steve and Tim and Brian for a few runs. MR. evil is coming along nicely. More aggressive today which was nice to see. Saw MRGisevil skiing the Ex bumps. Brian pointed her out and I couldn't believe it was her. Hands were excellent and she had nice fore/aft balance and a nice tight stance. The Evils are coming along with the bump skills for sure. Also saw madroch with his kids today. There were also a few other guys that said hello and asked if we were the "AlpineZone guys". :lol: Apparently a lot of Sundown lurkers on here. Get to postin', guys!

Not the epic exploratory powder day we were hoping for, but still a winner for sure.
:daffy:

Grassi21

good skiing with ya'll. mark hasn't been out in 8 years. the last time he skied was vail. he was super impressed with sundown. once i got him on temptor it wasn't long before he was feeling it. i could have skied for another couple of hours but he was shot. temptor bumps were great. i think i skied them pretty well. angling to get back there soon. i need to practice practice practice.

2knees

agree with Greg about mrevil. definite improvements seen. good work.

temptor will be kick ass again once we get that middle part filled in. It took over half of my time to figure out the best way to go about it. just some funkiness all around, but good.

they may be seeded but they sure dont ski like it. which is very cool.

powbmps

Looks like a good time.

Loving that follow shot @ 1:22.

Greg

Staff member
Loving that follow shot @ 1:22.

Ha! Yeah, I can't wait until Gunbarrel has bumps to try that. It'll be groomed left and easy to do using my right hand.

gmcunni

Is the brain washing working yet? :lol: ;)

actually, it is. He's IN for the March bump comp 8)

with a little encouragement he might even try the Jan comp but I'm not going to pressure him, just want him to enjoy it and go at his own pace.