• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death at Wachusett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_151

This is terrible --

http://telegram.com/article/20080318/NEWS/803180428/1101

Skiing accident claims life of boy, 17

Injuries suffered at Wachusett Mt.

By Jean Laquidara Hill TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

PRINCETON—
A 17-year-old boy from Westport died yesterday afternoon from injuries suffered in a skiing accident Sunday morning at Wachusett Mountain Ski Area.

Andrew Dumont, 17, of 12 Ivy Meadow Lane, Westport, was seriously injured about 11:40 a.m. Sunday while skiing on an intermediate trail at the ski area, Timothy J. Connolly, spokesman for the Worcester district attorney’s office, said yesterday.

David I. Crowley, general manager for Wachusett Mountain Ski Area, said later yesterday that the boy, a senior at Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School in Fall River, had died at UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus, Worcester, yesterday afternoon.

“He went out of control on Lower Balance Rock Trail,” Mr. Connolly said yesterday. “He did lose control and went off the trail and into the woods,” he said, adding that he apparently struck a tree. Mr. Connolly said emergency services were provided to the teen by the Wachusett Mountain Ski Patrol before he was taken to the hospital in Worcester and admitted to the intensive care unit.

State troopers assigned to the Worcester district attorney’s office are investigating the incident, as is the district attorney’s usual practice with serious accidents and unattended deaths.

“As far as we know, the young man was skiing and he went off the trail and he hit a tree,” Mr. Crowley said. He described the young man as well-liked and respected among students at Diman Regional, where he was a member of the school’s hockey team. Mr. Crowley said he believed Andrew was skiing with his family at the time of the accident.

Mr. Crowley said there did not seem to have been any incident or skier interference involved in the accident.

“Our ski traffic was moderate to light,” Mr. Crowley said. The ski surface was machine-groomed with snow depths of 30 to 42 inches at the time of the accident, he said.

The Wachusett Mountain Ski Patrol responded to the accident, taking the injured teenager down from the mountain to a base first aid facility. From there, he was taken by Advanced Life Support ambulance, Med Star, to Leominster Hospital and then transferred by Life Flight helicopter to UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus.

“There’s a certain amount of risk in skiing,” Mr. Crowley said, adding that Wachusett Mountain ski staff tries to provide the safest ski conditions.

“He paid the ultimate price,” Mr. Crowley said.

“This is a very sad time for the ski patrol,” he said. “They had a very difficult time, and I’m sure his family is having a difficult time.”

He said it was the fourth fatal accident on the mountain in the past 25 years.

thaller1

This is terrible --

http://telegram.com/article/20080318/NEWS/803180428/1101

Skiing accident claims life of boy, 17

Injuries suffered at Wachusett Mt.

By Jean Laquidara Hill TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

PRINCETON—
A 17-year-old boy from Westport died yesterday afternoon from injuries suffered in a skiing accident Sunday morning at Wachusett Mountain Ski Area.

Andrew Dumont, 17, of 12 Ivy Meadow Lane, Westport, was seriously injured about 11:40 a.m. Sunday while skiing on an intermediate trail at the ski area, Timothy J. Connolly, spokesman for the Worcester district attorney’s office, said yesterday.

David I. Crowley, general manager for Wachusett Mountain Ski Area, said later yesterday that the boy, a senior at Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School in Fall River, had died at UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus, Worcester, yesterday afternoon.

“He went out of control on Lower Balance Rock Trail,” Mr. Connolly said yesterday. “He did lose control and went off the trail and into the woods,” he said, adding that he apparently struck a tree. Mr. Connolly said emergency services were provided to the teen by the Wachusett Mountain Ski Patrol before he was taken to the hospital in Worcester and admitted to the intensive care unit.

State troopers assigned to the Worcester district attorney’s office are investigating the incident, as is the district attorney’s usual practice with serious accidents and unattended deaths.

“As far as we know, the young man was skiing and he went off the trail and he hit a tree,” Mr. Crowley said. He described the young man as well-liked and respected among students at Diman Regional, where he was a member of the school’s hockey team. Mr. Crowley said he believed Andrew was skiing with his family at the time of the accident.

Mr. Crowley said there did not seem to have been any incident or skier interference involved in the accident.

“Our ski traffic was moderate to light,” Mr. Crowley said. The ski surface was machine-groomed with snow depths of 30 to 42 inches at the time of the accident, he said.

The Wachusett Mountain Ski Patrol responded to the accident, taking the injured teenager down from the mountain to a base first aid facility. From there, he was taken by Advanced Life Support ambulance, Med Star, to Leominster Hospital and then transferred by Life Flight helicopter to UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus.

“There’s a certain amount of risk in skiing,” Mr. Crowley said, adding that Wachusett Mountain ski staff tries to provide the safest ski conditions.

“He paid the ultimate price,” Mr. Crowley said.

“This is a very sad time for the ski patrol,” he said. “They had a very difficult time, and I’m sure his family is having a difficult time.”

He said it was the fourth fatal accident on the mountain in the past 25 years.

thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and the ski patrol that did all they could to save him.

hiroto

That is terrible :cry:

It was non crowded day with nice spring condition but I noted ski patrol were unusually busy. There were many patrols attending injured on the slope and carrying them down on sled.

I noted Lower Balance Rock was taped off in the afternoon. It is a twisting narrow trail through the wood.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
First of all, my condolences to anyone close to this tragedy.

This is too close to home since I have a 15 yr old. Last Friday one of his buddies got hauled off Cannon after a crash in the trees. Fortunately, he was just bruised up. When I got to him he was wedged between 2 trees-legs and board on the downhill side and arms/head uphill. I could only imagine the worst. He had no helmet on but it turns out he had one in his bag.

I'm torn between letting the boys explore their capacities and being the bitch that tells them that some ideas are just plain stupid. I think I will make a mandatory helmet rule for any kid that skis/rides under my watch. They will also know that I will personally cut off their tickets if they break my rules and let them sit it out in the lodge.

I'm not suggesting the young man who passed away was being foolish-I wasn't there. We all crash at times. It's just such a transitional stage of life. I remember launching myself into the trees at Loon at that age and barely missing both a huge rock and huge tree. I had a mild concussion and sore leg. I respected icy conditions from that day forward more than ever.

Now go hug your kids.

wa-loaf

This made the evening news last night and they mentioned it was the second death this year at WA. And that the other person died sledding? Which is odd because there's no tubing or anything at WA. Anybody know more about this incident?

Condolences to the family.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Very sad, my condolences to all involved

I think I will make a mandatory helmet rule for any kid that skis/rides under my watch. They will also know that I will personally cut off their tickets if they break my rules and let them sit it out in the lodge.

I would do the same and that's coming from someone who has only had a helmet for my last three days out. Better to play it safe

hiroto

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Very sad. I can remember the exact moment when I became less reckless in risk taking. I was riding a wave runner back and forth across the wake of the boat with my brother on another wave runner. I was about 20 and he was about 16. We were coming right at each other and I hit a down trough just as he hit a swell. His wave runner went zooming right over my shoulder and he was laughing maniacally and I thought, "This is nuts" and I've been more cautious ever since, for better or worse.

(Does anyone know what happened to the kid who crashed in Walt's Woods yesterday at Mount Ellen? An ambulance zoomed up with lights and siren going.)

hiroto

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080318/NEWS/803180319

This article has more info. He was obviously not clumsy kid. Captain of hockey team, skiing for years. Death was due to head injury. No helmet.

Even though he was not wearing a helmet, it is pretty scarily to think that somebody this athletic can die on this particular trail. It is not steep and it S turns through the wood, so you cannot go that fast to begin with. It is very disturbing incident.

Mark_151

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080318/NEWS/803180319

This article has more info. He was obviously not clumsy kid. Captain of hockey team, skiing for years. Death was due to head injury. No helmet.

Even though he was not wearing a helmet, it is pretty scarily to think that somebody this athletic can die on this particular trail. It is not steep and it S turns through the wood, so you cannot go that fast to begin with. It is very disturbing incident.

Well, you shouldn't go fast there, at least relatively speaking. But alot of times, those turns are scraped and hairy. And, you put multiple people on there doing their own thing, and it can get ugly. I've been on that trail with a bunch of people around me in less than perfect control going into the corners and suddenly found myself at the edge of control because of it, and thinking about those trees. I actually did wipe out on it pretty goo once, but didn't leave the trail -- only my head did, and if I'd not been wearing a helmet the tree I smacked would've done damage.

Mildcat

Wow, that was a tough article to read. I feel bad for the farther. In that article the father says,"what if" in regards to his son not wearing a helmet. I hope the father doesn't blame himself. I can't even imagine losing a teenage kid, if he starts blaming himself that's a lot of weight to carry.

tcharron

Ok, I'm sold...

I make my sons wear helmets, time to start wearing one myself. I was just talking to my ex wife and we where talking about this death, and I explained if he'd been wearing the helmet, the risks go down dramatically. Of course, she said, 'And it's going to be nice and healthy for them to have to DRAG your limp body off the mountain when YOU slam into a tree'.

She's got a point.. :-D

SKidds

Just in case somebody reading this doesn't go read the article............

"In hindsight, if he would have had a helmet on, he'd probably still be here," said Mr. Dumont. "You look back and say, 'What if?'"

maybe it's worth reading again......

"In hindsight, if he would have had a helmet on, he'd probably still be here," said Mr. Dumont. "You look back and say, 'What if?'"

There is absolutely no argument anyone can make to counter this and have a snowball's chance in hell of convincing anyone that everyone shouldn't be wearing a helmet.

I started wearing a helmet to set a good example for my kids, but that was just foolish....I should have been wearing one all along. A tragic accident can happen anywhere, anytime, to any skier. Helmets can prevent many of those accidents. As people have pointed out, the trail in question is not a high speed cruiser, but bashing your head against a tree even at low speeds can be deadly. While a helmet won't protect you in a high speed collision with a tree, it can save you from lower speed collisions.

I pray for this family, and hopefully this tragic death can save a life in the future by making someone who currently doesn't protect their noggin do so.

Highway Star

Just in case somebody reading this doesn't go read the article............

maybe it's worth reading again......

There is absolutely no argument anyone can make to counter this and have a snowball's chance in hell of convincing anyone that everyone shouldn't be wearing a helmet.

I started wearing a helmet to set a good example for my kids, but that was just foolish....I should have been wearing one all along. A tragic accident can happen anywhere, anytime, to any skier. Helmets can prevent many of those accidents. As people have pointed out, the trail in question is not a high speed cruiser, but bashing your head against a tree even at low speeds can be deadly. While a helmet won't protect you in a high speed collision with a tree, it can save you from lower speed collisions.

I pray for this family, and hopefully this tragic death can save a life in the future by making someone who currently doesn't protect their noggin do so.

You're kidding, right????

That's absurd. Mr. Dumont is not a helmet expert. He has no clue if a helmet would have saved his son or not. He's merely speculating. Poor guy.

Now, if some foresics expert were to have a look a the data available, perform a proper analysis, and make the same statement, that may actually carry some weight - in this one incident.

Face it, people die WITH helmets all the time. Helmets that may cause people to have a false sense of security, and reduced awareness of their surroundings (reduced hearing and head movement for vision).

The absolute best way to avoid serious crashes and death is to not fall. Duh. Ski with a no-fall attitude all the time. This includes high din bindings, sharp edges, and good recovery skills...but also dialing back the intensity when hazards appear, and being very careful when and where you push your ablities. If there's a chance for a fall, it's good to scope out the risks - ie. what you could slide into.

IMHO, the helmet police don't get it and are fixing the result of the problem, not the problem itself.

Oh......and yes, Wachusett is a death trap.....

Phildozer

The absolute best way to avoid serious crashes and death is to not fall. Duh. Ski with a no-fall attitude all the time. This includes high din bindings, sharp edges, and good recovery skills...but also dialing back the intensity when hazards appear, and being very careful when and where you push your ablities. If there's a chance for a fall, it's good to scope out the risks - ie. what you could slide into.

IMHO, the helmet police don't get it and are fixing the result of the problem, not the problem itself.

Oh......and yes, Wachusett is a death trap.....

The absolute best way to avoid serious crashes and death from skiing is to not ski. Not falling isn't an option and is, at best, a disingenuous suggestion, not unlike telling someone to "not get in a car crash".

You can have all your gear in top-shape and still have the random accident. A helmet could help you in that crash, but not a guarantee. It is merely having another line of protection.

And no, Wachusett isn't a death trap. Given they do hundreds of thousands of skier-visits each season, the fact there's been relatively few deaths while people of varying experience partake in an inherently risky activity speaks to the mountain staff's hard work and dedication to provide the best and most-safe conditions possible.

Highway Star

The absolute best way to avoid serious crashes and death from skiing is to not ski. Not falling isn't an option and is, at best, a disingenuous suggestion, not unlike telling someone to "not get in a car crash".

You can have all your gear in top-shape and still have the random accident. A helmet could help you in that crash, but not a guarantee. It is merely having another line of protection.

And no, Wachusett isn't a death trap. Given they do hundreds of thousands of skier-visits each season, the fact there's been relatively few deaths while people of varying experience partake in an inherently risky activity speaks to the mountain staff's hard work and dedication to provide the best and most-safe conditions possible.

No man, Wachusett really is a death trap. You seriously risk your life anytime you ski there.

Oh, and I never fall.....except when I do. When I do, it's never that bad.

Did I ever tell you guys about the "manditory GS turn" style of freeskiing....? It's legendary...

Status
Not open for further replies.