• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 2/1/09 (family day)

Greg

Staff member
Anyone with kids knows how the "family days" go sometimes, especially with small children. Usually someone's cranky and whining, sometimes it's one of the adults! :lol: Today wasn't one of those days. Every once in a while, everything clicks with everyone in the family. :) Got to the mountain around 11 am under sunny skies and warm temps, and a full parking lot. Today was my official first day as "ski dad" and I started lugging in the gear for the entire family. Soon the shuttle stopped for us. Score!

Found an empty table in the back of the lodge (another score) and got everyone booted up. Today was to be my youngest daughter's (barely 3 years old) first day on skis. We made our way over to the Sunnyside learning area and my wife and Abby loaded lift 3 and to ski Little Joe. I got Livie loaded into one ski and got her just walking around with it to get a feel for things. Then the other ski on and within seconds onto the magic carpet.

Took a few runs down the magic carpet and she started to get it more and more each time. Within 30 minutes, I started to see some semblance of skating to navigate around. Abby and mom were having fun on Little Joe and watching Olivia and me. After 3 runs on the magic carpet, the Livmeister had enough of that and wanted to ride the chairlift. It took Abby 5+ ski days to muster the courage for that mind you.

So.....off we went to the top of Little Joe with my little peanut of a 3 year old and mom and Abby a few chairs behind. Took two runs down Little Joe using the JimG. method, which is an Edgie Wedgie on the ski tips, and me in front skiing backwards with a ski pole tucked under the tip lock to control speed. A few falls, but nothing that set off my brazen little 3 year old. She actually laughed them off. Two runs there and time for lunch.

Had a nice lunch with the family and also had a few nice chats with Chris Sullivan. After lunch, my wife showed interest in going to the top to take a few solo runs so I sent her off and watched the kids at the base. Built a few mini snowmen, had some snowball fights, and watched the girls make some snow angels. Also had a nice chat with Jarrod Moss which was the first time we ever BS'ed about anything beyond skiing and Sundown and AlpineZone. On my wife's second run, she even dipped into the bumps on Exhibition for a bit. :)

Then it was my turn. Plan was to take a bump run and then try the NASTAR course, on my untuned bump skis. :lol: The Nor'easter bumps were pretty good and the Temptor bumps were excellent with recent snowmaking. Really much better than expected. Second run was the NASTAR course on Gunny. I learned I suck at racing, but it was fun and what made it really special were my kids cheering me on at the bottom, not knowing how sucky of a racer their daddy really is. :lol:

Then it was time for Abby and I to hit the summit. Abby had a much more controlled run than she's been doing lately. Nice turns and kept speed in check. Happy dad! Once at the bottom my little insisted on going "on the chairlift" again. Mom even re-booted up and she and Abby hit Little Joe, and Sensation on Sunnyside while Liv and I ripped up Little Joe again. That kid is going to become one helluva skier someday. No fear and a good attitude which is tricky with a 3 year old.

Mom and I finished the day sharing a pitcher (okay, mostly me ;) ) and some wings in the bar while the girls ate their dinner. One the way home, Liv passed out and Abby just chatted with us about the day and commented on how good a job her little sister did. :) The kids were both in bed within minutes of getting home. I whipped up a chili and plan to toss a few more back watching the rest of the SB with my wife tonight.

Had a lot of great days ripping bumps with the AZ buds this season, but today might have been one of my best days this season. Great family time, great weather, and a great little hill. Just awesome!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That is an awesome day! We haven't gotten the kids out yet this year :oops: but we really should. Mags wanted to ride the chairlift last year but we held back; she was only 2.5 years old then. Sounds like Livvy is going to be a natural!

deadheadskier

Staff member
No video of your daughter humming while she skis along? I'm disappointed, that was a great video last season

Madroch

Ran into Greg and his youngest on the deck as we were departing (had my two with me as well). Good day, crowds really eased after 2:00. Snow was nice and soft (save for the usual slick spots). Found Temptor quite nice with recent top coat- lapped it while the kids were in lessons. Definately need a refresher night/day with the clit bump crew- am getting quite rusty cruising with the kids every weeked- but it sure is quality family time.

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like a nice day Greg. Congrats on getting the little one on the chair already!

Greg

Staff member
Congrats on getting the little one on the chair already!

I just knew she would do well. She's been playing keep up with her older sister since day one pretty much; plus she's a little whacked like her daddy. ;) But I never expected her to make the progress she did on day one. Maybe I'm a little biased, but I really think it's pretty amazing. :smile:

bvibert

Staff member
I just knew she would do well. She's been playing keep up with her older sister since day one pretty much; plus she's a little whacked like her daddy. ;) But I never expected her to make the progress she did on day one. Maybe I'm a little biased, but I really think it's pretty amazing. :smile:

You are definitely biased, but it does sound pretty amazing.

gmcunni

Excellent family day, nothing beats the feeling you get when your kids thrive at something new!

4aprice

I know this is an older thread but that's great. I started both my kids at age 3 1/2 and haven't looked back since. We used the tip seperators with my son and had great success. My daughter now 15 is a Junior Instructor at Camelback and enjoying her job. My son at 12 is a J4 racer and is as avid if not more than me about it. We've had some great family ski trips. One warning though and that's 4 lift tickets cost a hell of alot more then 1. Keep em at it and remember "The family that skis together, freeze together":smile:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ