• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2008-09 Ski Season Breakdown Thread

How many days did you ski this season?

• <10

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 11-20

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • 21-30

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • 31-40

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 41-50

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 51-60

• 61-70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71-80

• 81-90

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 91-100

• 101+

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

2knees

11/3 to 4/26

not even close to the longest season.....

snowmonster

30 for now:

Sunday River - 10
Wachusett - 9
Loon - 3
Magic - 2
Whistler/Blackcomb - 2
Jay Peak - 1
Sunapee - 1
Sugarbush - 1
Tuckerman - 1

Got 2 more at Sugarloaf coming up this weekend with BobR, jerryg, terry and the rest of the SR crew. After that, it's hiking for turns in the Gulf of Slides, Tux, GG and any closed resort that won't shoot at hikers.

darent

16 days living on nantucket?

i give you major credit for that one. talk about a pita to get anywhere

not exactly a prime location for skiing,with a max elevation of 120ft, it is better suited for beach pursuits.all trips start with either a 1 hour boat ride or a 20 minute flight. that is if the weather will let you leave.

Greg

Staff member
45 so far. Hoping for 47.

Hunter: 2
Sundown: 37 (over 40 if you count days with the kids)
Magic: 1
Sugarbush: 1
Killington: 3
Okemo: 1

Plan is for Sugarbush on Sunday, and Killington on May Day. Then I'll happily hang up the skis. Already been mountain biking so looking forward to a lot more of that during the off season.

I'm done. I got 46, most days ever.

Make that 36, added one at Sugarbush yesterday.

1 - Hunter
1 - Killington
31 - Sundown
2 - Sugarbush
1 - Magic

I should also note that this was my longest season to date. I got started on 10/29, the earliest I've started, and ended on 4/26, the latest I've gone. :spread:

Great season all around! :beer:

That's right. I started and ended my season with you Brian. My longest too. Lots of Sundown, but hell, it was great at the mighty Sundown this year. Not a ton of (hardly any) Vermont powder, but lots of bumps and no regrets. Highlights:

• First real effort at earning turns at Hunter in October
  • Sundown opening day bumps in November
  • Great soft bumps at Sundown on 11/30
  • A few nighttime powder sessions
  • Skiing with my kids, seeing Abby progress and starting Livie on skis. First family ski day, all four of us skiing together.
  • Sundown mogul comps
  • Being a part-time Sundown employee
  • Gunbarrel in March, just sick, sick, sick
  • Lots of skiing with AZers and meeting quite a few new ones
So, all in all a great ski season, but now it's time to ride!

tmcc71

I finished up my season last Sunday at mount snow's closing. I hit 137 days. It was spread out between snow, Kllington, Waterville, Okemo, Stratton, And Wachusett. I am a ski patroller and counted days I worked. I ski seven days a week from November until April. Weekends until late April. My record is the 2005 season with 148 days. Water skiing started Saturday. I'll be equally as obsessive and most likely waterski 150 days or more, basically until there's snow again. I need help. : )

I finished up my season last Sunday at mount snow's closing. I hit 137 days. It was spread out between snow, Kllington, Waterville, Okemo, Stratton, And Wachusett. I am a ski patroller and counted days I worked. I ski seven days a week from November until April. Weekends until late April. My record is the 2005 season with 148 days. Water skiing started Saturday. I'll be equally as obsessive and most likely waterski 150 days or more, basically until there's snow again. I need help. : )

Wow..are you retired?

tmcc71

Funny

No i'm not retired just addicted. I am fortunate to live close to Wachusett and work up there. I go every night after work and weekends unless i'm heading up north. I am unmarried,close to 40 with no children. I am also fortunate that my girlfriend is becoming addicted as well. I wouldn't be able to pull it off if she was a non skier or if I had children. :spread:

No i'm not retired just addicted. I am fortunate to live close to Wachusett and work up there. I go every night after work and weekends unless i'm heading up north. I am unmarried,close to 40 with no children. I am also fortunate that my girlfriend is becoming addicted as well. I wouldn't be able to pull it off if she was a non skier or if I had children. :spread:

That makes sense. My best season was 2006-07 when I skied 119 days and over 2.4 million vert..alot of dats skiing in the rain. It's cool that your girlfriend loves to ski..

You know your addicted to sking when:

1. You have to run the AC in the car on the way home from the slopes
2. The lawn needs mowing, but has to wait till the end of the season
3. The leaves don't get raked.
4. You can't take the kids trick or treating because your early season legs are to tired to walk.

Got any others?

Start a new thread and I'll add mine but I'm not adding to the hijack

bigbog

...worst ski-year to date, can only get better;-)

Well I'm sure this will be the least days on here - 4.

2- Killington
1- Magic
1-Stratton
a few hours at Sundown
Next year has to be better :razz:

Just by a few Beetlenut!....only 12 for me, all at Sugarloaf...on the state local $29 Wednesdays...:-x
Ditto your "Next year has to be better!!!".... Intuition liners made the time on the mountain great though!!...

STeveD

Zand

Wachusett: 29
Killington: 4
Okemo: 2
Mt. Snow: 2
Stowe: 2
Sunapee: 1
Magic: 1
Burke: 1
Sugarbush: 1

Killington 11/2: Opening day, mini AZ day, early Nov cruising on Rime and Reason for the first time in a while
Wachusett 11/22: Early opening day, only Challenger and Ralph's but fun for a couple hours
Wachusett 11/23: Conifer opens
Wachusett 11/24: 10th opens super early
Killington 11/28: Black Friday, natural Northstar and Royal Flush were awesome
Wachusett 12/2: Post rainstorm blues
Wachusett 12/5: Brief, recovering nice
Wachusett 12/8: Cold, lots of snowmaking, brief
Okemo 12/15: Escape to a land with power, OK day
Wachusett 12/17: Re-opening after ice storm, snowboarded for a while
Wachusett 12/20: Mini-powder day
Mt. Snow 12/24: 1 free hour, sticky snow turned to rain, first time in the woods for the season
Sunapee 12/29: Post freeze, so not incredile, but good all things considered
Wachusett 1/2: Big crowds following NYE storm
Wachusett 1/5: Lots of Smith with great LSGR
Wachusett 1/9: Park opens, cold again
Wachusett 1/11: Mobscene, not many runs
Okemo 1/19: Dead by holiday standards, 100% open and hit the goods
Magic 1/21: 12 cars in the lot says enough, explored it pretty well, the double is a DOG... Redline was sick
Wachusett 1/22: Bumps on 10th, sucked like usual; early afternoon was nice
Wachusett 1/23: Piece of Cake open... yay.
Wachusett 1/26: Lots of park
Wachusett 1/28: Should've been a powder day... damn sleet
Wachusett 2/3: More new snow
Wachusett 2/6: Cold, more PP
Wachusett 2/14: More of the same
Wachusett 2/17: Quick hitter, nobody for vacation
Wachusett 2/19: Spring early, fresh snow late, bumps were awesome in both modes
Killington 2/20: 1+ foot powder day, very windy, sick woods, 2nd best day of my life
Wachusett 2/22: Warm sticky snow, soaked after an hour so left early
Wachusett 2/23: Sticky snow drained and made for beautiful packed powder
Wachusett 2/25: Short park night
Wachusett 2/27: Attempt at 24 hour night, rain wouldn't let up so I took a few runs and left at midnight
Wachusett 3/2: Powdah... got yelled at a few times by ski patrol for exploring too much between Balance and Ropers
Wachusett 3/6: Warm... short again... some crumbiness showing up
Burke 3/9: Took a short exploration of my new home mountain... tough day for the natural stuff but the groomers were fun
Stowe 3/14: Natural stuff frozen solid so mainly a groomer day
Stowe 3/15: Sunny and 50s softened stuff up a bit... fun day
Wachusett 3/20: New personal daily record... soft snow
Wachusett 4/5: Closing day, pond skimming, awesome 10th bumps
Mt. Snow 4/11: Awesome North Face, sick bumps on Chute
Sugarbush 4/25: HOT (90 at the base), good bumps in many places
Killington 5/2: Closing day, awesome Superstar

Season highlights:

-Earliest start for me: 11/2
-Latest end for me: 5/2
-Longest season for me: 6 months
-Most days for me: 43
-New areas: Magic, Burke
-Awesome powder day at Killington in Feb
-Many good days with very few bad memories

Lowlights:

-Not getting to MRG or "really" getting to Sugarbush
-Lousy late March took away a few days

Next year:

Weekdays at Burke and weekends at Sugarbush while in college
Less Wachusett but will still go when I'm home
Hopefully getting back to Cannon and hopefully adding Wildcat, definitely adding Jay

Last edited:

icedtea

50 k/pico
1 jay
1 k-ton bc - river rd.

plan on getting 1 or 2 at tux may 17,18,19.

i had a great season, but i am never satisfied, i always have that itch.

skiadikt

back up to 40 days (all at k) after a down season the previous year. great season. i only remember 2 or 3 absolute stinkers. despite what seemed to be more thaw/freeze cycles than normal, made up for it with an abundant snow year though i missed most of the big dumps. seems i was always driving the wrong way when it was snowing. also as much as i love spring skiing, seemed like we were spring skiing for a very long time. imagine what this spring would have been like with normal snowfall. post season depression has already kicked in. will be back up memorial to hike to any crumbs but it's gonna be a long 6 months ...

frozencorn

16 days. Wasn't my best from a numbers standpoint. But at a total cost of just $298, it was probably my best year yet in skiing on the cheap.

Wildcat's Wildcard afforded me four days for $130.

Warren Miller afforded me three freebies at Waterville Valley, Smuggler's, and Sunday River, for the $18 movie ticket.

Paid out of pocket just five times, all with discounts (Jay, $37 with VT travel club card, Stowe, twice, $40 with card, Sugarbush, $26, friend's employee discount, and $7 on discount Wildcat Friday.) Add in additional freebies to Stratton, Wachusett, Wildcat (birthday) and Okemo on 4/1, and that's 16 days at an average of $18.63 per day.