• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush: 4/26/09 (AZ Bump Fest Day)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, April 26, 2009

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush--Lincoln Peak

Conditions: FG/Ice/SC/VC

Weather: Clouds, Drizzle, Fog in the AM, some clouds lifted for a brief time in the PM. Highs in the 50's.

AZer's Present: thetrailboss, Greg, bvibert, gmcunni, 2knees, riverc0il, Pomfret Plunge, ozzy, deadheadskier (hope I did not miss anyone :oops: ). Win provided the skiing and lifts, ski_resort_observer provided moral support. Lostone was, well, just lost....

Trip Report: Well, since I am the first one home and because I figured it had been a while, I figured I would start the trip report thread for today. It was interesting.

I got there after 10am and found an empty lodge and lots of depressed people.

The weather was, well, also the reason why folks were bummed. The clouds and fog hung low.

I booted up and was on the lift at 10:30. Did a warm-up run down Snowball and found that a lot of patch work had been done. We lost a lot of snow....but things were still good.

Next run I headed down to Heaven's Gate. Deathspout was quite rough....down to the icy base. I met riverc0il and we talked about Jay. A guy came down and hung out beside us--I didn't recognize him.

"You guys here for the bump skiing thing?"
"Yep, AlpineZone. If anyone is here, it is for this!" Riv replied.

Turned out that the guy was Pomfret Plunge, from another board, and he had flown all the way from DC to ski two days at Jay and ski with us. :eek: Kudos for commitment.

Soon Greg and the others showed and we boarded Heaven's Gate to find a real mess up top. KCyanks had told us that it was rough...he had already done three runs on Ripcord, Jester, and OG and reported ice, fog, and bad conditions.

We headed down a treacherous Jester to the base and spent the morning skiing Stein's pretty much non-stop. It softened some, especially at the bottom, but overall it was just OK. I found a bit too much ice in places to make me not want to let 'em rip.

Riv hurt his thumb and had to bow out early. Hope you get better soon!

Before lunch, DHS and I skied down Spring Fling to meet up with the crew. Pretty much still edge to edge folks.

Lunch was burgers and beer. We commented that the service was good and that the food had improved even from a couple years ago. DHS was quick to handle the math for the bill...

Then we headed back out. The crew did a spin on Stein's while I hit Snowball. It was decent.

2knees had to bow out early as did DHS, so the rest of his headed back up to find that the summit had cleared. We beelined to Heaven's Gate and found that we were above the clouds. We brought ozzy along too...

Organgrinder was the first run...best bumps and conditions of the day. Folks were happy. We then did Ripcord and found nice bumps up top. Spillsville was next and it was ubersoft, even if it had sediment from yesterday's river.

At this point folks were getting tired. gmcunni, Pomfret Plunge, and ozzy headed down Jester to the bottom while Greg, Brian, and I did one more run down a foggy Organgrinder.

"Last ride on the Heaven's Gate for the season, have a good one," the lifties exclaimed as we boarded just shy of 4pm.

We skied down Jester to the base...Greg and bvibert hit Stein's and I did Spring Fling.

So that was it for me I thought. I was sore from two days of hard skiing. But watching ozzy, Greg, and bvibert head up for one more run I felt guilty. This could be it for me this season...and I'm just sitting here watching chairs go by. I couldn't have that. So I hit the lift and got in 3 more runs...with the last one being at 5pm. Last chair went to me...I felt that I owed it to the crew to close up shop for them. The snow was still good overall, but there is one spot on Upper Snowball which was "constructed" last night and is pretty much shot now. No damage to my skis though.

I headed into the bar and caught up with bvibert, ozzy, and Greg. We chatted and then quietly left. There was some talk about "one more day," and other talk about biking, but most of us were too tired to say much.

It was a good day. Feel free to elaborate and add pics, vids, etc.

:beer:

Last edited:

2knees

not my luck this spring. another, shoulda been here yesterday (or tomorrow) kind of day. Got up to the Golden Lion around 10:30 and it was still well above 60. got faced watching the mavs/lakers and waited for greg to show. not a care in the world about what was happening on the mountain. Warm nighttime temps and a little rain SURELY would equal soft bumps in the morning.

ummm NO. one run down organgrinder and i wanted to cry. Steins was fun though and lapped that till 1:00. thought about going back out for another run but it just didnt seem worth the craziness it would've made for my drive home to be back in time. Turns out, the stuff off of HG was soft by then. Too bad for me. Steins was worth it though, just not great snow or great lines. bumps were way far apart except extreme skiers left. Problem was that nobody would ski that line and it remained rather bulllet proof. DHS and i side slipped it basically the entire lenght one run and it didnt really help at all.

End of season for me, good day, great people. Nice to meet KCYanks, PomfretPlunge from the mogul board and to see TB and DHS again. River, was looking forward to talking to you a bit, sorry to hear about the thumb. Greg, Brian, Gary, been a great season. glad the afternoon worked out for you.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It was pretty good overall....

agreed

for April 26th following perhaps the least amount of snow for March and April that I've ever seen AND some pretty gnarly weather this month, I thought the skiing was pretty good. A bit of sun and it would've been prime.

I have seen better conditions for sure in late April, but I've also seen A LOT worse.

TB summed up the day nicely, not much to add here other than again; great to meet and ski with everyone.

and rivercoil, swift healing on that thumb, hope it doesn't interrupt your time up on the rock pile too much.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Sorry to only get one run with you guys! Basically, when I took a fall on Stein's, I landed on the same thumb that I stretched out the ligament on back in February. That sidelined me for four weeks then and I expect about the same this time around as well, so lift service ends one week earlier than I had expected and I won't get up on the rock pile until late May at best.

Major bummed but what can ya do. Been three or four years since I last skied with Greg, TB, and bvibert and one run was definitely not enough, we'll need to hook up for some turns again next year. Didn't get to hang with the rest of the gang hardly at all before bowing out. Major bummed about that as well. This injury thing is getting old!

gmcunni

TB summed up the day nicely. I'll add that i sucked today! I tell my kids, if you aren't falling you aren't trying hard enough. Well, I was trying very hard today! i've got some nice snow rashes on both arms and a huge black and blue behind one knee . . .

KCYanks, again, sorry about sliding into you, that isn't how i like to meet AZ'ers :oops:

shot some video but won't look at it until tomorrow. will it post as soon as i can.

overall, fun day, great to meet a few new people. Nice way to close out my season.

mondeo

Disappointed I didn't make it, was planning on showing up out of nowhere. But I was sore waking up this morning from a great day yesterday, and with rain threatening, an extra two hour drive and $40 ticket, I decided to stay at Killington. It was about the same story at Killington, surprisingly firm in the morning and gradually softening. Was hoping to meet a few new people and get one more day out with a few of the Sundown crew.

ozzy

Disappointed I didn't make it, was planning on showing up out of nowhere. But I was sore waking up this morning from a great day yesterday, and with rain threatening, an extra two hour drive and $40 ticket, I decided to stay at Killington. It was about the same story at Killington, surprisingly firm in the morning and gradually softening. Was hoping to meet a few new people and get one more day out with a few of the Sundown crew.

what's groomed at K mondeo?

Greg

Staff member
Yep. The others summed it up quite well. Got to the Golden Lion a bit before midnight and slugged a few beers with 2knees who was having quite the one man party. :lol:

Slept okay. Woke around 7:30, lounged a bit and took a shower. Finally called 2knees at 8:30. We casually made our way up the access road. Met kcyanks1 and DHS in Gatehouse. kcyanks headed up and DHS, 2knees, Brian, Gary and I took Bravo and then off to Heaven's Gate. I knew as soon as I got a look at the snow on Birdland and it was going be rough, lunar landscape/corral. Oof.

Orangrinder was well, rough. Lines were sick, but it was pretty firm. Here we are, a bunch of guys that skied ice bumps all midwinter at Sundown at the Bush in late April and we're greeted with ice bumps again after 80 degrees the day before. Oh well. DHS seemed to have little trouble though. Dude is smooooooth.

Decided to scope out Stein's before the 11 am meetup. Still not great, but way better. Met the rest of the crew and suggested Stein's. Bummer that Steve wrecked and re-injured the thumb. Get well soon. Indeed these short sessions every few years sucks. One thing I was really looking forward to on this day was skiing with riverc0il for a day. Next year, I guess.

So more Stein's and more Stein's. Okay bumps, kinda sweepy, but not bad. Nobody really ever let it rip though, although 2knees made a solid effort. Lunch was excellent. Gary's wings had me drooling. Grabbed the Legends. 2knees split after lunch as did DHS. Run on Stein's and then back up Bavo to met up with ozzy. Summit cleared so we hit Heaven's Gate.

One turn on Organgrinder and I was pleasantly surprised. Great visibility with sweet undercast and overcast. It was like OG was right in a layer of clear air. I just kept going down that first pitch. Perfectly sized and spaced bumps on a nice moderate pitch. I was loving it and Legends really are sweet int he bumps. That one run made the whole day worth it. Shot some vid and then boarded the lift. Had to make the dick move call to 2knees to let him now it finally softened up top. Kinda played it up a bit just to bruise his ego even more. It was excellent though when compared to the morning run. Sorry bro. :beer:

Next, Ripcord - more nice bumps, then OG to Spills (some dirt avoidance skills needed, tons of fun), then the final run of the season on OG with Brian and Michael. By the the fog rolled back in. Back over to Stein's. Met up with ozzy and we did Stein's twice. So that was it. Chatted with SRO, grabbed a beer and then split. Made it home in 4:20 with a gas and BK stop.

Friday/yesterday must have been insane on OG, Spills, and Ripcord. Nice to meet DHS, kcyanks and Pomfret.

Greg

Staff member
KCYanks, again, sorry about sliding into you, that isn't how i like to meet AZ'ers :oops:

Glad neither of you were hurt. I saw Gary sliding towards kcyanks and me and got the hell out of dodge. The tangled mess you guys ended up in in that trough was kinda funny though... :lol:

$40 ticket

$29 with the Sundown pass. Worth every penny.

kcyanks1

Great to meet all of you! It was a lot of fun even if things didn't soften up as much as we hoped.. gmcunni, no worries at all about the minor crash..just as I mentioned, good thing it happened before I became completely sore later in the day, otherwise the two of us may have tumbled down Stein's intertwined, as my balance never would've held up :) Steve, sorry you got hurt and we didn't ski more together. Hope you recover in time for some trips to Tuckerman Ravine. Hope to ski with all of you again next year, perhaps in more of midwinter situation.

2knees

Glad neither of you were hurt. I saw Gary sliding towards kcyanks and me and got the hell out of dodge. The tangled mess you guys ended up in in that trough was kinda funny though... :lol:

:lol: that was pretty damn funny. that rivaled my molestation of a complete stranger on vertigo a few years ago.....

bvibert

Staff member
Great day, despite the weather. It was nice to ski with riverc0il again, even if only for one run, next year we'll have to make more turns together. Same with you TTB, I just realized it had been just as long since I skied with you as riverc0il. Nice to meet DHS, kcyanks, and ozzy, you guys are all good skiers, hopefully we'll ski together season. Good to end the season with Greg, Gary, and Pat, see you guys on the trails this summer, and on Stinger next season. Almost forgot SRO, nice to chat with you again, see ya next season.

This was a great way for me to end the season, it would have been better if the sun had come out, but I'm really not complaining. I got some solid turns in, even if I was gapering it up most of the time. I'm completely satisfied now and ready to switch gears to MTB until the snow starts to fly again. :beer:

bvibert

Staff member
I forgot to mention that I can barely move my legs today, let alone stand or walk. Thanks for talking me into those extra runs Greg, TTB, and Ozzy! I hadn't skied in a month and it showed yesterday. :eek: