• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AFC playoff scenarios

o3jeff

I didnt get home from foxboro until 10:15 last night. getting out of that place is absolutely ridiculous. our friend who came with us made a big stink about parking in the stadium lot instead of one of the lots on rt 1. I KNEW that was going to come back to bite me big time as we sat and sat and sat and sat and sat trying to get out of there.

i think i watched all of about 2 minutes of football yesterday. the rest of the time i was lobbing snowballs from our perch 3 rows from the top. i was kind of hoping to get kicked out so i could go back to the car and warm up.

Lol at the snowballs, you missed a great day at the mighty Sundown.

drjeff

I didnt get home from foxboro until 10:15 last night. getting out of that place is absolutely ridiculous. our friend who came with us made a big stink about parking in the stadium lot instead of one of the lots on rt 1. I KNEW that was going to come back to bite me big time as we sat and sat and sat and sat and sat trying to get out of there.

i think i watched all of about 2 minutes of football yesterday. the rest of the time i was lobbing snowballs from our perch 3 rows from the top. i was kind of hoping to get kicked out so i could go back to the car and warm up.

Ouch 2knees, sorry about your friend's bonehead choice of parking in the Stadium lots. I've learned that a combined 30 or so minutes of walking to/from the stadium from Route 1 off site parking lots in the big scheme of things saves atleast an hour(more often closer to 2 hours) of get home travel time!

I made it all the way through the Pats oh so crucial field goal at the beginning of the 4th before my group left. We figured that at 47-0 the lead was safe ;) :rolleyes: ;)

Just glad it was a 1PM game rather than a 4PM game. The squall/temp drop that I drove through on the way home would have hit Gillette probably around 1/2time of a 4PM game, and turned everyone from slightly wet to frozen solid :eek:

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Jets suck. The Jets will always suck. Favre sucks. Everything about New York blows.

yup

....Favre can look back knowing his last game was spent extending his interception record in a pathetic performance. He should never have come back

drjeff

The only good things that came out of the Jets loss today is that #1 I now have a $275 credit towards my season tickets for the Patriots next year(deposit for Pats playoff tixs) and #2 now next weekend's skiing won't be interrupted with a 350 mile round trip from Mount Snow to Gillette and back.

Now I need to go and take my 3rd shower since the end of the Jets game to see if I can finally get that dirty feeling off me from having to root for them this afternoon!

deadheadskier

Staff member
All I can hope is that Matt Cassell is on a practice field somewhere today working on his deep ball, which is really the only part of his game I have a problem with.

Things are not looking good for a Brady return in 09' and him being on the wrong side of 30, it's quite possible we will never see the Brady of old again :( Hoping for a miracle, but things don't sound good.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=501203

drjeff

All I can hope is that Matt Cassell is on a practice field somewhere today working on his deep ball, which is really the only part of his game I have a problem with.

Things are not looking good for a Brady return in 09' and him being on the wrong side of 30, it's quite possible we will never see the Brady of old again :( Hoping for a miracle, but things don't sound good.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=501203

More and more I think that Cassel WILL get franchised. The Pats have cap room, and they also have a bunch of early round draft picks (as much as I like some of the veteran linebacking crew they seem to get each year via free agency, they NEED some younger legs!). Plus, Cassel at franchise level $$ isn't as attractive an option to many other teams as opposed to Cassel as an unrestricted free agent. Lastly, as this year as a Patriots fan showed all too well, to be competitive in the NFL, you basically need 2 GOOD starting QB's on a roster that know the system in and out.

I still am having a tough time figuring out my Pats emotions though this AM. If you had told me 17 weeks ago that the Pats would finish the season 11-5(okay I'll admit I thought they'd go 11-5/10-6 under Cassel) I'd be very happy. If you told me that 11-5 wouldn't get them into the playoffs 17 weeks ago, I'd call B.S. If you told me that the Dolphins would be 11-5 and AFC East champs, well then I'd ask if there was a bridge for sale in Brooklyn ;)

Plus, I'm guessing that it's easier to deal with being a Pats fan this AM than a Cowboys fan :eek:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was thinking 11-5 as well for the Pats, certainly not for the Dolphins. Incredible job by Miami and smart move to sigh Pennington.

Geoff

Plus, I'm guessing that it's easier to deal with being a Pats fan this AM than a Cowboys fan :eek:

Or a Jets, Tampa, or Bears fan. Imagine losing to Oakland in week 17 to miss the playoffs. At least the Cowboys lost to a team with a winning record.

I don't think any NFL team will touch Mangini with a 10-foot pole. You can't hire a guy who will turn you in and cost you a #1 draft pick when he moves on to the next coaching gig. He'll end up at some lousy Division 1-A college team.

drjeff

2knees

rough way to go down. having to root for that drama queen and his smarmy little coach. only to watch farve pull his typical vanishing act in a big game.

but, on the flip side, i just love hearing all the whiny talk on weei about how the patriots are better then the ______ (insert playoff team here) and the system is unfair and the nfl screwed them.

its such bs cause while the record stands at an impressive 11-5, they never beat a solid team all year. as a matter of fact, every time they faced a quality opponent, they got their doors blown off. Its a testament to belicheck's coaching really. As long as the talent on the field was somewhat comparable, he made the difference. but when the disparity was too great, the disparity was too great. nothing he could do. hands down, i think he deserves the coach of the year award but no way will he ever get that. too much water under the bridge.

i'd bet both afc road teams will be pretty big favorites this week. Especially the ravens. Miami is gonna get annihilated.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You won't hear me whining about not making the playoffs. I think the system is fair as it's the 1st time in 23 years that it's happened and there have been numerous times that 9-7 teams have made it and 10-6 teams from divisions where 2 teams are great and 2 teams suck and have been left out. It happens.

I do think the Pats came on strong at the end of the year and could have done some damage in the playoffs. I'm not saying they're better than those teams, but they can compete. Yes, they did get their butts kicked by the Steelers and Chargers during the regular season, but to say they got their doors blown off by any decent team is false. They lost to the 12-4 Colts 18-15, killed the 11-5 Dolphins in the rematch 48-28.

Things can change in a couple of weeks for a Football team in the playoffs. Just look at what the 10-6 Giants did last year.

My money is on the Colts from the AFC

2knees

true about the colts. i forgot about that game. But i dont consider the dolphins a good team so that one we'll disagree upon.

watch what happens to them this weekend.

but to shoot more holes in my own statement, you can only play the schedule thats presented to you. I cant fault them for that. Getting the NFC west certainly didnt help in that matter.

drjeff

rough way to go down. having to root for that drama queen and his smarmy little coach. only to watch farve pull his typical vanishing act in a big game.

but, on the flip side, i just love hearing all the whiny talk on weei about how the patriots are better then the ______ (insert playoff team here) and the system is unfair and the nfl screwed them.

its such bs cause while the record stands at an impressive 11-5, they never beat a solid team all year. as a matter of fact, every time they faced a quality opponent, they got their doors blown off. Its a testament to belicheck's coaching really. As long as the talent on the field was somewhat comparable, he made the difference. but when the disparity was too great, the disparity was too great. nothing he could do. hands down, i think he deserves the coach of the year award but no way will he ever get that. too much water under the bridge.

i'd bet both afc road teams will be pretty big favorites this week. Especially the ravens. Miami is gonna get annihilated.

Something tells me 2knees that yesterday won't be the only time in the next few weeks that you'll be seeing Big Ben spending a bunch of time on his back :eek:

Like I said, If you had told me that the Pats without Brady for 63 and 1/2 quarters of the season and would be 11-5 as an otherwise healthy team, I'd be happy. If you had told me before the season that Maroney, Harrison, and Thomas would also spend large portions of the season on the IR with Brady and they'd finish 11-5, I'd have a tough time believing it.

Knock them if you want for "quality wins", but I don't think that there are too many other teams in the NFL(if any) that could be without such impact players on BOTH sides of the ball for as much of the season as the Pats were and finish 11-5.

2knees

Something tells me 2knees that yesterday won't be the only time in the next few weeks that you'll be seeing Big Ben spending a bunch of time on his back :eek:

Like I said, If you had told me that the Pats without Brady for 63 and 1/2 quarters of the season and would be 11-5 as an otherwise healthy team, I'd be happy. If you had told me before the season that Maroney, Harrison, and Thomas would also spend large portions of the season on the IR with Brady and they'd finish 11-5, I'd have a tough time believing it.

Knock them if you want for "quality wins", but I don't think that there are too many other teams in the NFL(if any) that could be without such impact players on BOTH sides of the ball for as much of the season as the Pats were and finish 11-5.

Ben is a high paid tackling dummy at times. He's gonna get drilled in the playoffs. I dont give them much of a shot but we'll see.

I give belicheck all the credit in the world. They put up the list of guys on the IR during the Jets game and it was staggering. Just take this for what it is, i dont like the patriots so i'm kind of enjoying this.