• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

dlague

Why the reluctance to buy a pass? Not convinced of early season snowmaking?

If I were back east I would be a Cannon passholder based on where I used to live. But considering the Peak Pass and Ragged's Pass and others that are competitively priced I would be nervous not only with natural snowfall but lifts. Looks like they turned the page though.

Last edited:

Tin

If I were back east I would be a Cannon passholder based on where I used to live. But considering the Peak Pass and Ragged's Pass and others that are competitively priced I would be nervous not only with natural snowfall but lifts. Looks like they turned the page though.

Who are you kidding, just too much gnar for you.

RustyGroomer

Terrible shot of Tin.
7e04e979-8962-4ca4-ae44-679e4e012f32.jpg

dlague

Who are you kidding, just too much gnar for you.

Just not as cool as you!

Actually, over the past several years they have had a lift or the other not operating, last season was tough and they typically do not do well with poor winters. I think there is an inherent risk with a Magic Season pass. I think the new ownership will prove themselves in that these issues may not materialize any longer. We shall see. I liked skiing Magic - but a season pass to a place with risk driving over an hour and a half to get to is not worth it.

BTW my pass at Cannon was under $300. I also think that the Peak Pass presents a better value with more options.

Tin

Just not as cool as you!

Actually, over the past several years they have had a lift or the other not operating, last season was tough and they typically do not do well with poor winters. I think there is an inherent risk with a Magic Season pass. I think the new ownership will prove themselves in that these issues may not materialize any longer. We shall see. I liked skiing Magic - but a season pass to a place with risk driving over an hour and a half to get to is not worth it.

Nice to see you have taken Steamboat's role on the Magic hating.

Since the fall they redid the upstairs of the lodge, put a new ski patrol crew in place, got Black Chair going, installed 50+ HKDs and fixed countless feet of snowmaking pipe, new pumps and compressors, groomer, etc. Despite the rain and meltdown last week we were skiing on 25 trails (Tali will probably have snow on it into May). A season pass is an inherent risk everywhere, not just Magic and with Jamaicaman et al. at the helm those risks are on the same level as any other mountain.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Since the fall they redid the upstairs of the lodge, put a new ski patrol crew in place, got Black Chair going, installed 50+ HKDs and fixed countless feet of snowmaking pipe, new pumps and compressors, groomer, etc. Despite the rain and meltdown last week we were skiing on 25 trails (Tali will probably have snow on it into May). A season pass is an inherent risk everywhere, not just Magic and with Jamaicaman et al. at the helm those risks are on the same level as any other mountain.

I love Magic but still need to see how they do in a year like last year. Yes other areas were hurting last year but still need to see how they handle it - I think they can just need to see.

dlague

No hate for Magic been there several times and their terrain is awesome. If I lived locally (in VT - no brainer) or in southwestern NH or even northwestern to mid MA it would be a consideration but at 1500 vert and 95 ac of snow making, 195 ac overall and slow lifts there seem to be plenty of other options to consider. I skied there under the old regime and maybe that is influencing my views. Still think it is a great place to hit a few times per season.

RustyGroomer

I think I would have paid $499 for my last 3 days @ Magic.

"195 ac & slow lifts." Hahhahahahahaaa. I can barely walk today from this limited terrain & ONE slow lift.

slatham

Smellytele "I love Magic but still need to see how they do in a year like last year."

I hope you have a long long long wait.......

MMP

I think I would have paid $499 for my last 3 days @ Magic.

"195 ac & slow lifts." Hahhahahahahaaa. I can barely walk today from this limited terrain & ONE slow lift.

You're more ragged than the flags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MEtoVTSkier

Long drive from Colorado for him....

;)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

:lol:

I don't see anything that would hold me back from buying a seasons pass if it was more local. They seem to be doing what they said they were going to do, if not more. Luckily for them, and every single other operator in the industry, it was a fairly decent winter, compared to last year, and EVERYONE probably has done well enough to survive another year and recoup some of last years losses, and move ahead with future plans.

thetrailboss

Staff member
:lol:

I don't see anything that would hold me back from buying a seasons pass if it was more local. They seem to be doing what they said they were going to do, if not more. Luckily for them, and every single other operator in the industry, it was a fairly decent winter, compared to last year, and EVERYONE probably has done well enough to survive another year and recoup some of last years losses, and move ahead with future plans.

This is true. So far, so good. It was interesting to see that there was some concern amongst the faithful that pursuing the lift should not be a priority instead of snowmaking. Take a look at the FB comments. Personally, I think that getting another reliable lift going is a good thing.

And I find it interesting that those who criticize Magic are called "haters." Over the years the feelings about Magic seem to be particularly intense on all sides. In fact, one board BANNED Magic threads because of the feelings. Why is that?

Do Work

This is true. So far, so good. It was interesting to see that there was some concern amongst the faithful that pursuing the lift should not be a priority instead of snowmaking. Take a look at the FB comments. Personally, I think that getting another reliable lift going is a good thing.

And I find it interesting that those who criticize Magic are called "haters." Over the years the feelings about Magic seem to be particularly intense on all sides. In fact, one board BANNED Magic threads because of the feelings. Why is that?

I find it interesting that anyone thinks snowmaking is taking a backseat because we're taking on the Green Chair. On the contrary, snowmaking is the bulk of our allocations for the summer. Perhaps we haven't communicated exactly where the million bucks this summer will see is going, so perhaps clarification is in order.

In the simplest terms possible:

The snowmaking pond, dam, brook refilling station and stream are all getting redone, which should net us 15+ million gallons-which is essentially quadruple what we had to use this year for some perspective.

We are also beefing up our mobile tower snow gun fleet, adding a few more towers in key spots, replacing a lot of lower mountain water pipe and working with efficiency agencies as well as HKD to showcase some emerging automatic technology as well. Some older heavy equipment is getting traded in for more useful gear and there's an aggressive silviculture program to be enstated. Black is slated for a new drive and motor as well as a lot of line work and a new base terminal building. Red is going to get line work love and some shack upgrades. Patrol is getting a new top shack, the entire mountain is going to be mowed twice and the rangers will see some new goodies to help do it all.

That isn't even all of it. Believe me when I say we are leaving no priority unaddressed. I'm happy to answer any questions I can, but this is a crazy time. Lots of preliminary stuff going on to prep for all this, especially given the size of our team. We're doing it though, and we are not making any excuses along the way.

MMP

Any word on the flags? Repeal and replace?

Do Work

As for skeptics, haters, detractors- whatever you want to call them- everybody's got their reasons. Sometimes Magic just doesn't fit them and that's fine. That's why they make more than one flavor of ice cream too fwiw

slatham

Great update Do Work, thanks. I think that when some people hear that Green is being resurrected they understandably - based on previous ownership regimes - think that such a project will take up all of the off season capital budget (and still not get done!). These people are not yet convinced that things have changed, all evidence to the contrary! Communication like the above repeated on the web site and social media will help get the message across. But of course there will be some people who will need to arrive next Thanksgiving for opening day to be convinced. Keep up the good work - progress over the next 8 months like we've seen over the past 4 months (wow, its only been 4 months? You guys have done a ton!) and Magic will be in prime shape like it hasn't been since Hans was running the show.

MMP

I'm straight up scrapping the poles and burning the money.

Dark Art can use them in the park! Longest continuous jib rail in the east.