• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poll on Banning Snowboarders from Places like MRG and Alta

How do Azone skiers feel about banning snowboarders at places like MRG and Alta?

• Like it

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • Don't like it

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 32 35.2%

• Total voters

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the bans on boarders is ridiculous but its their chioce to limit their potential dollars.

How I feel.

And as a skier, MRG has lost out on my dollars on more than a handful of occasions over the years as I was skiing those days with snowboarders.

thetrailboss

Staff member
One big reason why we did not go with Alta this season, other than price and length of season, was the fact that our snowboarding friends who come out here could not come with us. I've already had a couple snowboarding friends come to Snowbird with us this season. In fact, I've already cashed in nine of my ten discount day tix for friends (we get 10 per pass). Those friends not only bought tickets, but bought food, drinks, and were sure to go to the logo shop and get T-shirts and other things. That adds up pretty fast.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah but noone really cares about deer valley:flag:

I almost spit out my champagne and caviar when I read this comment....

polls_snob_0502_680395_poll_xlarge.gif

:wink:

neil

What I want to know is....what did skiers moan about before snowboards came around?

4aprice

No. There would have to be a drastic change in the market.

Snowboarding's increasing popularity and dramatic rise through the 90s and 00s, has not only dropped off dramatically to the point of completely leveling off, but sales of new snowboards (which is probably one of the best indicators of growth) has been decreasing for several years now, while new ski sales have increased. So it seems like we're going back to a phase where "skiing is cool" again. Three or four months ago, Ski Magazine had a bit about this. They hypothesized that since much of snowboarding's rise was due to all the cool tricks you can do on a snowboard, kids have since realized that there are actually many more tricks that can be performed on skis since the freedom of independently moving legs allows for a much larger range of motion in the air. Who knows whether they're right in their guess or not, but you sure do see a heckuva lot more kids on skis in the parks these days.

This is something I have heard too (Maybe the same article). I've never had any problems with boarders but I do think there is a market for skier only.(maybe not fair but there) Maybe there would be a market for boarder only as well. I thought the old Park City West resort tried that before becoming Canyons. The only legitmate excuse I've ever heard for banning boards was from MRG and that applied to the single chair only and that was for some reason snow boarders getting off the chair were causing derailments. Like TB says this get discussed every season and with the way this season is ending:cry: I think its going to be a long summer.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cannonball

So all the comments in this thread are from the "don't like it" or the "don't care" camps. Yet 24 people voted "like it". This thread isn't going anywhere without hearing that side of the story.

BenedictGomez

I think the bans on boarders is ridiculous but its their chioce to limit their potential dollars.

I dont think it's ridiculous at all.

It's MRG's desire to keep the mountain historical like a museum (single chair, almost no snowmaking, etc...) and preserving it as "skiing only" as an original snow sport area.

There are literally hundreds of ski and snowboard areas in America, so there is clearly market demand for a mere 2 or 3 skiing only areas, and as such I frankly doubt it "limits their potential dollars" as much as many people think.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So all the comments in this thread are from the "don't like it" or the "don't care" camps. Yet 24 people voted "like it". This thread isn't going anywhere without hearing that side of the story.

And to think that the original author could have set up the poll to identify the voters......

:stirpot:

:wink:

Cannonball

I dont think it's ridiculous at all.

It's MRG's desire to keep the mountain historical like a museum (single chair, almost no snowmaking, etc...) and preserving it as "skiing only" as an original snow sport area.

There are literally hundreds of ski and snowboard areas in America, so there is clearly market demand for a mere 2 or 3 skiing only areas, and as such I frankly doubt it "limits their potential dollars" as much as many people think.

+10. Actually it's what keeps them in biz. They would likely fail in a head to head competition with their neighbors without substantial investments. The niche marketing allows them to create an appeal that doesn't cost them anything.

Mapnut

I voted "for it" just because I think it's good that a tiny percentage of areas can offer a different experience. Many here have said "They're losing my business." But if there are only, say, 3% of all ski areas that ban snowboards, then if there are 3% of skiers who would rather not have snowboards, that's all the market they need.

My only complaint about snowboards is the deep ruts they carve on groomers. If they make a difference in moguls, I couldn't tell because I stink so bad in them anyway. Generally, I want snowboarders around to buy tickets and help pay the bills.

Cannonball

I voted "for it" just because I think it's good that a tiny percentage of areas can offer a different experience. Many here have said "They're losing my business." But if there are only, say, 3% of all ski areas that ban snowboards, then if there are 3% of skiers who would rather not have snowboards, that's all the market they need.

Well said.

My only complaint about snowboards is the deep ruts they carve on groomers. If they make a difference in moguls, I couldn't tell because I stink so bad in them anyway. Generally, I want snowboarders around to buy tickets and help pay the bills.

MRG must being particularly infuriating for you. No snowboarders to rut up the groomers.....but MRG barely grooms.

SkiFanE

I went to MRG for first time last year. Loved it. But I can't say the bumps there were any better/worse without snowboarders. Or maybe I was just in awe of all the bump runs that I didn't notice a difference.