• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

CT to have year round skiing?

Jully

crank

Gonna be there to play a gig August 12. Don't think I will be bringing my skis though.

Jully

Also $12 for 2 hours is extremely reasonable. Ill make the drive in September to try it for kicks.

Glenn

Not far from where I live. May check it out when it opens.

Domeskier

They need to put a roof on it, cool the place down to a nice 50 degrees and maybe borrow some seeds from Sundown. I can barely tolerate skiing outdoors in late May; July and August must be brutal.

Domeskier

...and you have to wear long pants...

I'll be there in September I hope.

Yep - and helmets will probably be required. Some type of glove would probably be helpful too. I can see this working if they put some rails in for the park kids to grind away on. Vert and slope don't really matter for things like that. For most others, I assume it will be a one time novelty.

Domeskier

Yep - and helmets will probably be required. Some type of glove would probably be helpful too. I can see this working if they put some rails in for the park kids to grind away on. Vert and slope don't really matter for things like that. For most others, I assume it will be a one time novelty.

Should have read ss20's link first - helmets are mandatory and leather gloves recommended....

Jully

Should have read ss20's link first - helmets are mandatory and leather gloves recommended....

One time novelty on a 500 foot magic carpet served slope for sure. They plan on extending to the summit next year. I have not ever been to Powder Ridge and have heard from others on the boards that it is very flat, but depending on how flat "very flat" is, it could be a repeat thing next year.

Buck Hill in Minnesota seems to do okay with it. Judging by their picture they have a longer open trail and then a shorter rail jam type deal.
http://www.buckhill.com/artificial-snow/

SIKSKIER

Had to laugh at a quote in the first link."With this [artificial snow], you can ski on it with just two inches of snow," said Hayes.I thought you could ski on it without any snow?

Jully

Had to laugh at a quote in the first link."With this [artificial snow], you can ski on it with just two inches of snow," said Hayes.I thought you could ski on it without any snow?

Wording was definitely silly there. I get what they are trying to say though.

urungus

No snow is needed in the summer, but you'll have to scrape the wax off your skis. See below for details from website Jully mentioned. I believe the quote about two inches was referring to winter, where they are claiming only a two inch base is needed for "normal" skiing.

From https://powderridgepark.com/365-synthetic-snow-park/

Should I wax or tune my skis or snowboard?

Skiers and snowboards will want their equipment sharpened just as they would for winter. However, any winter wax should be scraped from the bottom of the equipment. The surface is a silicon based product and will provide any lubrication needed.

benski

Also says they don't recommend extruded bases since they can get damaged. A google search revealed this is a manufacturing process that tends to be used in cheeper skis. I guess that means bring you rock skis or some race skis.