• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowmaking in March

cdskier

Stowe generally has a much greater base depth (from more season long snow making) at this time of yr than SB. Although it has to be acknowledged that Stowe's capital structure is totally different than SB's. Wonder if the Vail purchase is going to increase this discrepancy even more ?

At this point it isn't so much a question of base depth for SB either (SB is pretty deep on key trails, non-key trails may be a different story but they wouldn't waste resources blowing on them now anyway), it is more a question of resurfacing to provide better surface conditions than grooming alone can provide.

SnoDevil97

Everyone I talked to there on Sunday said not to even bother, which is a bummer because I like the terrain over there... nice and steep.

Agreed I like the terrain on S Peak, glad to see they are blowing there. Will check it out Sun & post.

chuckstah

Magic is back at it running a few fan guns. I'm thinking this may be a great option Thursday if the storm delivers.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Los

Magic is back at it running a few fan guns. I'm thinking this may be a great option Thursday if the storm delivers.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

I was thinking the same thing, but we'll probably do Bretton woods if they also get the goods. My son is dying to get back into the trees here.

Vaughn

This week?

Think anyone will make snow this week in NH when the temps dip down to near zero or did last week's dumping end snowmaking season up north?

SnoDevil97

Maybe all for not, 1 more storm? Per ECMWF (good model) outlook for next weekend thru Tuesday 3/28.

IMG_0427.jpg

WWF-VT

Sunday River says .....Our snowmaking squad do not plan on letting single digit temps Wednesday and Thursday nights go to waste. The snowmaking magic men will be out on the hill Wednesday and Thursday to resurface areas on White Cap, Locke and Barker. Our snowmakers' never-ending dedication will put us in great shape leading into the spring season.

Jully

Sunday River says .....Our snowmaking squad do not plan on letting single digit temps Wednesday and Thursday nights go to waste. The snowmaking magic men will be out on the hill Wednesday and Thursday to resurface areas on White Cap, Locke and Barker. Our snowmakers' never-ending dedication will put us in great shape leading into the spring season.

Well I stand very corrected. Holy cow.

Jcb890

I reached out to Mt. Snow this morning and asked if they are done. The person who responded to me on their Facebook messenger seemed to think with it being now March 20th that Mt. Snow is done blowing snow this season.

cdskier

Killington plans on making snow again...

"You won't see any snowguns running Monday, but that doesn't mean that The Beast is done making snow. We're eyeing a cold snap coming Tuesday night that should let our snowmakers get back to growing the Superstar glacier for May (and maybe even June) skiing and riding"

Jcb890

I hope to ride Killington in June this season. If nothing else other than to just be able to snowboard in June.

drjeff

I reached out to Mt. Snow this morning and asked if they are done. The person who responded to me on their Facebook messenger seemed to think with it being now March 20th that Mt. Snow is done blowing snow this season.
Considering the amount of snow on the mountain now, the reality of no major melting this week, the chance of some snow next weekend, and only 2 more weekends with items on the events calendar, I'd be surprised to see them make snow again this season.

While I can vouch that as of noontime today there were still some fanguns with hoses still hanging on them, it wouldn't surprise me to see those hoses gone next weekend

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Other than Killington, I would think it somewhat foolish for anywhere to make snow from here on out. Seems like a waste of money. I'd rather see profits saved and spent on off season improvements.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

I agree with DHS. Unless you are known for going deep into May and want to add some insurance on making it as far as you want, there really is no point in making snow now. Snowmaking trails should have adequate coverage (especially on spring routes) at this point at most major mountains to last well into April barring any major heatwave.

machski

Other than Killington, I would think it somewhat foolish for anywhere to make snow from here on out. Seems like a waste of money. I'd rather see profits saved and spent on off season improvements.

SR wants May 1st and they plan on hitting Sunday Punch, Right Stuff and Obsession. Obsession is critical if they intend to keep the Heat open, it is the access in and out. Especially the very top, it needs more base than it has (the blowtorch did a number to the top of White Cap on the rock face, it's like a damn microwave). This should ensure a long run into April with the WH quad and terrain.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

If Whitecap is open into mid-late April that'll get me back to SR one more time most likely.

Jully

Wildcat tweeted the other day #skiuntilmemorialday. While I highly highly doubt that, has anyone heard of plans up there to make snow?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wildcat tweeted the other day #skiuntilmemorialday. While I highly highly doubt that, has anyone heard of plans up there to make snow?
Have not heard anything about further snowmaking. I'm hoping for 4/30. I think that's realistic with the snow they have and traditional business levels if April weather doesn't get whacky. A weekend beyond that would be a great bonus