• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter - 3/27/09

Greg

Staff member
Picked up Grassi and o3jeff at 6:15 in Harwinton and headed for Hunter. Got there for 8:20 or so. Got skiing about 8:55. Basically hit every open run on the front except Heuga. The groomers were fine, the ungroomed stuff a little crunchy, but edgeable. Eventually tried the bumps on Upper Crossover. Skied fine, but funky, big and that run is steep. None of us were that into it. I tried Lower K. Similar result. Forgot how insanely steep that is. Eventually tried Claire's which was fun. Still not fully softened. Quick lunch at 11. Got back out. Jeff made it one run. Grassi lasted 3 including another on Claire's. I did 6 more. Cliff to Racer's was run of the day. Sweet bumps here and there on Cliff. Racer's big slush piles ripe for exploding! Took a few runs with Eski. Never saw dmc, but got his "note" on my car. :lol: Got rolling before 2 since Chris and I had time constraints. The base on Hellgate is insane. Way way way over the fenceline. :eek: Easter weekend will be no problem.

2knees

i could be way off, but you sound like you have a sundown/gunny hangover.

wasnt that into the bumps?? Greg, is that you?

how was ike?

Greg

Staff member
i could be way off, but you sound like you have a sundown/gunny hangover.

wasnt that into the bumps?? Greg, is that you?

how was ike?

I was real into the Cliff bumps. Upper Crossover and Lower K was VW sized funk. Plus I'm not very manly and freely admit it. I freeze on steep bump runs. Gunny hangover sounds about right. Claire's was a lot of fun. A few 6-8 bump zippers, sweeping push piles, soft mushy snow on a firm base, steep. Tons of fun. Ike was mowed flat. Setting up some sort of race fencing I assume, that ran from Hellgate, down Broadway and down Ike. Not sure if that mogul comp is happening. I thought it was tomorrow.

Had a fun time charging the mountain at speed today. Wanted to poach 'purna, but the sallies with me weren't up to the task. :razz:

Greg

Staff member
Silly little vid:

JimG.

Staff member
I was real into the Cliff bumps. Upper Crossover and Lower K was VW sized funk. Plus I'm not very manly and freely admit it. I freeze on steep bump runs. Gunny hangover sounds about right. Claire's was a lot of fun. A few 6-8 bump zippers, sweeping push piles, soft mushy snow on a firm base, steep. Tons of fun. Ike was mowed flat. Setting up some sort of race fencing I assume, that ran from Hellgate, down Broadway and down Ike. Not sure if that mogul comp is happening. I thought it was tomorrow.

Had a fun time charging the mountain at speed today. Wanted to poach 'purna, but the sallies with me weren't up to the task. :razz:

I guessed you might have steepness shock after all that time on Gunbarrel.

Gunny has a good pitch for nice smooth lines, much like Ike.

Upper Xover and Lower K are just much steeper.

I have no clue why they would mow Ike and clearly there is no bump comp tomorrow since they did.

I will be found on Lower K, Upper Xover and Clair's.

Greg

Staff member
Upper Xover and Lower K are just much steeper.

Yep. As steep as most anything in NNE, just shorter. Big ole funky monster bumps. Just totally different skiing than I've been doing lately. Hunter always has a way of humbling me. It's a tricky mountain to ski which explains the caliber of skier that comes out of there. Claire's should be great tomorrow.

bvibert

Staff member
Glad you guys had a good time, but I gotta tell you the selfish me is happy you didn't have too good of a time. ;) I was expecting to open this thread and see a kick ass, you should have been there TR, which might have killed me. I almost didn't even open the thread. Yeah, I'm a selfish prick, sorry. :cool:

dmc

YOu guys were brave to hit CLaires that early...

Greg

Staff member
YOu guys were brave to hit CLaires that early...

It looked worse than it was. All that shine was primed to be sluffed away. A little scratchy, but very skiable. I hit Claire's twice in the afternoon and it was be-u-tee-full.

Grassi21

I like how you shoehorned that crummy ski footage into a video just so you can use the bushwhacking scene. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
I like how you shoehorned that crummy ski footage into a video just so you can use the bushwhacking scene. :lol:

Indeed. You definitely were the star of yesterday's feature presentation. I'm not sure, but did you flop over after stopping uphill from me at the 0:12 mark? If you listen carefully to the audio, I think you can hear scraaaape......thump....oof. :lol: Unfortunately, I panned away at that point to film the trail further down so there's no video confirmation.

Seriously though, nice job yesterday. I think you would have skipped Upper Xover and probably wouldn't have repeated on Claire's last season. Making great progress. Jeff did great too considering he's probably still wiped from Sugarbush this week. I'm actually a little tired today and I slept great last night. We charged pretty hard yesterday. I think I took one 10 second break on Claire's on my last two runs down it yesterday.