• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

deadheadskier

Staff member
How does it compare to other indoo waterparks though? Most of those that I've seen seem a little lame.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Understood and no slight taken. I can only offer that I've been to more indoor waterparks than I care to mention since 2006 and while obviously tainted with some level of homerism, ours is, by no form, overrated. I imagine this sounds like a horrible slight to one who feels they have a solid benchmark on how indoor waterparks rate, but none is intended.

Exclamation point indeed. As long as it's making money, that's all that matters (literally).

But my point was simply in reference to those that have been to lot of h2o parks, and in that regard JP's is nothing special. I imagine that sounds like a horrible slight to a marketing person, but it's not meant to be.

VTKilarney

It's an impressive waterpark for a northeastern United States indoor waterpark. It is geared more toward the adventurous guest, with the Flowrider and the La Chute. Some other waterparks are geared more toward leisure, with a wave pool or something "pool" like. The only indoor pool at the Pump House is for basketball hoops and a climbing wall. The Lazy River is supposed to be mellow, but on a busy day it feels like you are in a pinball machine. Kids don't seem to understand the "lazy" part and treat it like it's a racecourse.

The one real wish I have for the waterpark is the addition of more seats. There aren't nearly enough. In the winter it's common to see people eating lunch while literally sitting on the cement floor. This could be done by building a deck or extending the existing one. Are there any plans to do that?

What we really like about the waterpark is that it is excellent insurance for cold weather. If it's ten below and the wind is howling, you know that you'll have something to do on your vacation if you don't feel like skiing.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Agreed VTK and that was the original intention-to create a park that was more geared toward that set (the deep water pool, supporting the horizontal climbing wall, was really the one that was integrated to create some separation from other indoor parks which usually shy away from that element given insurance issues.)

And agreed on the seating-when it's busy in there we def could use more seats-proobably more floor space actually, but definitely more seats. It's one thing we're looking at as we start to prepare budgets for FY16.

It's an impressive waterpark for a northeastern United States indoor waterpark. It is geared more toward the adventurous guest, with the Flowrider and the La Chute. Some other waterparks are geared more toward leisure, with a wave pool or something "pool" like. The only indoor pool at the Pump House is for basketball hoops and a climbing wall. The Lazy River is supposed to be mellow, but on a busy day it feels like you are in a pinball machine. Kids don't seem to understand the "lazy" part and treat it like it's a racecourse.

The one real wish I have for the waterpark is the addition of more seats. There aren't nearly enough. In the winter it's common to see people eating lunch while literally sitting on the cement floor. This could be done by building a deck or extending the existing one. Are there any plans to do that?

What we really like about the waterpark is that it is excellent insurance for cold weather. If it's ten below and the wind is howling, you know that you'll have something to do on your vacation if you don't feel like skiing.

JPTracker

This is supposed to complete all development on stateside. AFAIK the new cottages will be built in prime location along the chalet meadows trail, where the old T-bar used to be.

Only the West Bowl will remain for Jay Peak to complete their Master plan, which would include relocating the Bonnie and butchering the Orchard.

These cottages will not be along Chalet Meadows.

From the Act 250 site:

https://anrweb.vt.gov/PubDocs/ANR/Planning/7R0854-12-4/plans/Location Map.pdf

https://anrweb.vt.gov/PubDocs/ANR/Planning/7R0854-12-4/plans/Exhibit P1 - EPSC Overall C5-01.pdf

There are cottages along Chalet Meadows in the Master Plan. No idea when these would be built. Maybe instead of being EB5 they will build them and offer them for sale to general public. Being in a prime location they should be an easy sell.

BenedictGomez

Under the agreement, Jay Peak will reportedly work to mitigate the sedimentation. While it will be allowed to continue with real estate development in 2015, it also agreed to further postpone its West Bowl project until the streams have recovered.

BG TRANSLATION:

Environmental extremists who have the ear (and the wallets) of powerful politicians in Vermont, in a thuggish scene reminiscent of The Godfather, successfully backed Jay Peak into a corner and made them an "offer" they literally could not refuse.

WWF-VT

BG TRANSLATION:

Environmental extremists who have the ear (and the wallets) of powerful politicians in Vermont, in a thuggish scene reminiscent of The Godfather, successfully backed Jay Peak into a corner and made them an "offer" they literally could not refuse.

Regardless of the environmental issues: " The decades in waiting West Bowl project is said to consist of 3 chairlifts, six trails, and a new lodge. According to VTDigger, the project has yet to obtain financial backing."

CoolMike

Anyone have any tips for a first time Jay Peak visit on a Powder day?

I've got a ski house about an hour and a half away and it looks like this Sunday Jay stays snow while the MRV gets some wet sloppy almost snow. Powder days are rare for me (I missed 2/3 big February snowstorms due to work travel) - so I'd like to maximize my time.

One problem is the wife will be with me - so I can't exclusively shred the steeps. Part of the plan needs to include cruisers and hopefully diamond runs that meet up with cruisers half way down or something similar. Thanks for any info!

Puck it

I've got a ski house about an hour and a half away and it looks like this Sunday Jay stays snow while the MRV gets some wet sloppy almost snow. Powder days are rare for me (I missed 2/3 big February snowstorms due to work travel) - so I'd like to maximize my time.

One problem is the wife will be with me - so I can't exclusively shred the steeps. Part of the plan needs to include cruisers and hopefully diamond runs that meet up with cruisers half way down or something similar. Thanks for any info!

First rule of a powder day - there are no wives, unless if she rips than you will lose out

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

If you MUST ski blues (they get scraped down fast at JP) do it first thing in the morning. I personally don't like the blues at JP. I find them mobbed, scratched off and scary. In many cases the blacks ski easier than the blues.
Now, on a powder day it may be hard to find a groomer, depending on when the snow comes down. I had one friend who freaked when the groomer wasn't quite packed powder. You haven't stated her tolerance.
Second, steeper trails will ski slower of course on a pow day, assuming you are skilled as skiing pow.
Third, this time a year you're gonna be pressed to find a pow day. Well, you might find a heavy pow day. Like Sunday.

CoolMike

If you MUST ski blues (they get scraped down fast at JP) do it first thing in the morning. I personally don't like the blues at JP. I find them mobbed, scratched off and scary. In many cases the blacks ski easier than the blues.
Now, on a powder day it may be hard to find a groomer, depending on when the snow comes down. I had one friend who freaked when the groomer wasn't quite packed powder. You haven't stated her tolerance.
Second, steeper trails will ski slower of course on a pow day, assuming you are skilled as skiing pow.
Third, this time a year you're gonna be pressed to find a pow day. Well, you might find a heavy pow day. Like Sunday.

Yeah, I was talking specifically about this Sunday. Heavy snow is fine for me. The wife is at the high end of the advanced spectrum - single diamonds are fine with nice conditions. Steep runs are fine too if they aren't top to bottom steep. The view from the top of a very steep run can freak her out. Very large bumps can be a struggle. She's not an expert though and likes to have a game plan on how to attack a mountain.

Thanks for the info so far!

dlague

Early skiing off the Jet Chair, then move over to Flyer or Tram. If she does not like bumps then much of the woods will be out but that is where the powder is best at Jay. JFK Wedelmaster or Green Mountain Boys (GMB) are always good runs with freshies. GMB is groomed flat so should be fine. Vermonter eary would also be a nice run with a view if there is visibility.

CoolMike

Early skiing off the Jet Chair, then move over to Flyer or Tram. If she does not like bumps then much of the woods will be out but that is where the powder is best at Jay. JFK Wedelmaster or Green Mountain Boys (GMB) are always good runs with freshies. GMB is groomed flat so should be fine. Vermonter eary would also be a nice run with a view if there is visibility.

Thanks for this!

therobertcollins

Anyone have any Intel about how the mountain is currently skiing, I am heading up sunday, so any predictions for then would be helpful.
Thank you

BenedictGomez

Regardless of the environmental issues: " The decades in waiting West Bowl project is said to consist of 3 chairlifts, six trails, and a new lodge. According to VTDigger, the project has yet to obtain financial backing."

The two items are not mutually exclusive.

In fact, if Jay truly doesn't have the $$$$ to start the project, you could make the argument that demanding they "further"delay its' commencement is even more curious.