• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's coming!

mriceyman

Because its not cold in october all signs point to a marginal winter? Thats not how this works

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

You can "think snow" all you want -- it won't change the fact that all signs are pointing to a winter that is, at best, only marginally better than last year.

And no offense, but "think snow"? Personally, I can understand "pray" for snow (although I understand that is offensive to some), but "think" snow? It's absolutely meaningless. Pure tripe.

Again, no offense.

I guess I am showing my age. Back in '70's there was a proliferation of bumper stickers that said THINK SNOW. I was a kid then and I guess that is just burned into my brain. Plus, it was always popular to say "Pray for surf" so I save my "praying" for surf.......

In any event, one man's "tripe" is another mans inspiration.

But to your real point, that "all signs are pointing to a winter that is....marginal"? What data are you basing this on? I subscribe to Accuweather and Weatherbell (because I myself am no expert) and they both indicate signs for a colder than normal winter, not marginal. Now they may be wrong, but they have well researched data to back them up. You?

dlague

I guess I am showing my age. Back in '70's there was a proliferation of bumper stickers that said THINK SNOW. I was a kid then and I guess that is just burned into my brain. Plus, it was always popular to say "Pray for surf" so I save my "praying" for surf.......

In any event, one man's "tripe" is another mans inspiration.

But to your real point, that "all signs are pointing to a winter that is....marginal"? What data are you basing this on? I subscribe to Accuweather and Weatherbell (because I myself am no expert) and they both indicate signs for a colder than normal winter, not marginal. Now they may be wrong, but they have well researched data to back them up. You?

Looks like another La Nina year. They first thought that it would switch soon but now looks to be around into February before it weakens.

drjeff

Watched a weather channel segment this morning about their thoughts on winter weather trends (so take all of this with a grain of weather channel salt!!)

Their thoughts due to above average mid Oct snow on the ground in Eastern Siberia and how that has effected things in the past, is that a North Atlantic omega block with predominate, which is likely to bring at worst "normal" temps, and likely cooler than normal weather to the upper Midwest and East, with a warm, dry ridge setting up over the Rockies and Sierra's....

Time will tell....

steamboat1

Watched a weather channel segment this morning about their thoughts on winter weather trends (so take all of this with a grain of weather channel salt!!)

Their thoughts due to above average mid Oct snow on the ground in Eastern Siberia and how that has effected things in the past, is that a North Atlantic omega block with predominate, which is likely to bring at worst "normal" temps, and likely cooler than normal weather to the upper Midwest and East, with a warm, dry ridge setting up over the Rockies and Sierra's....

Time will tell....
Sounds pretty much the same'

https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/autumnwinter/predicts.jsp

benski

a9b67b3f76a24a013707ae1ab523d713.jpg

This morning at sugarbush.

mriceyman

Cant wait til this is everyday life again

slatham

Fun fact - if the 11" at the top of Mansfield is verified, October will exceed MARCH for snowfall (11" vs 10.9"). Given this weeks forecast, we have a good chance that October will be the second snowiest of the Calendar year 2016, as February was 16.9" and April was 15.9". It would take some doing to over come January's 26.9" but who knows.

And how depressing are those numbers from last winter? Season total of 101.8"!

Jully

Fun fact - if the 11" at the top of Mansfield is verified, October will exceed MARCH for snowfall (11" vs 10.9"). Given this weeks forecast, we have a good chance that October will be the second snowiest of the Calendar year 2016, as February was 16.9" and April was 15.9". It would take some doing to over come January's 26.9" but who knows.

And how depressing are those numbers from last winter? Season total of 101.8"!

Jesus........