• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville expansion

uni78

So it looks like waterville is gonna have a very active summer. They have 3 expansion proposals submitted, one of which has been approved.

1) developement of green peak http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_project_exp.php?project=36652

2) Widening upper bobby's, sels, and world cup to create a super G course http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/project_content.php?project=36472 (already approved)

3) Adding 2-3 new trails between trails 21 (Psyched) and 10 (valley run). I've skied in the trees that are in this area before and this is some steep terrain. Runs right next to lower bobby's

gregnye

Now this is awesome! :smile:

Good to see that the new owners are trying to bring Waterville back up as a competitor against Loon and other places.

Waterville has been the mountain I grew up with. It looks like they are focusing on the the trails--not the lodging--which in my opinion is great!

I have noticed a trend in the ways the mountains decide expand:

Way one: Build Lodging, so that more people come, then add trails.

Way Two: Build trails so that more people come, then add lodges.

Given the size of Waterville, it makes sense that they seem to be adding trails first, then the lodging.

Hopefully they are able to go ahead and start their work this summer!

Cornhead

2,000ft of vertical ain't too shabby. Never heard much of Waterville, maybe I'll have to add it to my to do list.

Telemechanic

Waterville Projects

So it looks like waterville is gonna have a very active summer...

It looks like the FS expects WV to do the cutting work for the Super G course this summer but the Green Peak expansion decision isn't expected until late this year.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
2,000ft of vertical ain't too shabby. Never heard much of Waterville, maybe I'll have to add it to my to do list.

It doesn't really ski like a 2000 vertical hill. To achieve that, you have to go from the top of High Camp and have your run interrupted after 350 vert or so when you reach the "lower summit" where White Peaks, Sunnyside and Northside converge. You ski the mountain more in 1000 or less pods for the most part. Of all the 2000 vert hills I've skied in the Northeast, Waterville skis the smallest.

That said, the mountain has tremendous opportunity to expand horizontally alla Sunday River and be a major player again in the Northeast due to it's proximity to Boston. As with most of NH, they lack natural, but it's a beautiful valley that's easily accessible from Boston. I hope Waterville's ambitious expansion plans come to fruition.

skiersleft

It doesn't really ski like a 2000 vertical hill. To achieve that, you have to go from the top of High Camp and have your run interrupted after 350 vert or so when you reach the "lower summit" where White Peaks, Sunnyside and Northside converge. You ski the mountain more in 1000 or less pods for the most part. Of all the 2000 vert hills I've skied in the Northeast, Waterville skis the smallest.

That said, the mountain has tremendous opportunity to expand horizontally alla Sunday River and be a major player again in the Northeast due to it's proximity to Boston. As with most of NH, they lack natural, but it's a beautiful valley that's easily accessible from Boston. I hope Waterville's ambitious expansion plans come to fruition.

Sunday River really does have a lot of horizontal. Probably the most in the East. Who can keep up with them in terms of horizontal? Killington gives them a run for their money.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
So after all the small places are gone we're left with the mega-resort? Seems to be the way all the areas are going. First Killington, Bretton Woods and Sunday River - now Loon, Cannon, Sugarloaf and also Waterville and Ragged. Who else is experiencing horizontal sprawl?

kickstand

Sunday River really does have a lot of horizontal. Probably the most in the East. Who can keep up with them in terms of horizontal? Killington gives them a run for their money.

SR has only developed half of what they own. Unless it was sold/swapped in all of the changing of hands since ASC, they own about the same size parcel of land as what the resort is today, heading west from Jordan Bowl, out over Jordan Mtn. There were plans to expand out that way several years ago, but I don't think they ever went public. I was hoping the schematics were on newenglandskihistory.com, but no luck.

SIKSKIER

I'd hardly call Cannon,Waterville,or certainly Ragged mega resorts.Heck,Cannon really isn't a resort at all and the expansion at Mittersill was only reopening existing terrain and not even the amount that was there before.

EPB

Agreed. The only other 2k vert mountain that I would say skis equally short is Burke, which skis more like Bear Peak (1500 vert), on the groomers of course. I also always forget that Sunday River is technically a 2300 foot vert mountain, though its longest lap-able runs are about half the advertised length.

Good news for Waterville though. I would love to see a couple new runs in bounds at Attitash/Bear Peak like they're planning around Lower Bobby's at Waterville. The eventual gondola complex should be a nice touch as well.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

It's funny because I always grew up skiing at Killington. When I went to Sugarloaf for the first time, I had heard it was similar in size to Killington. I didn't see it at first when I was driving up. It looked tall but that was it.

That's the difference between breadth and height. I always considered killington big because it spanned multiple peaks. They are both fun in their own way.

kickstand

Good news for Waterville though. I would love to see a couple new runs in bounds at Attitash/Bear Peak like they're planning around Lower Bobby's at Waterville. The eventual gondola complex should be a nice touch as well.

Attitash thinned out some of the trees in the Cathedral, Tim's, Idiots area, dumping out on Lower Cathedral. No signage, but it's there and they did let people know roughly where it was. I kind of like that - the mountain maintains it, but doesn't tell everyone where it is. You have to find it.

Wildcat did the same a few years ago, although they did mark the general areas on the map. No names, though.

UVSHTSTRM

So after all the small places are gone we're left with the mega-resort? Seems to be the way all the areas are going. First Killington, Bretton Woods and Sunday River - now Loon, Cannon, Sugarloaf and also Waterville and Ragged. Who else is experiencing horizontal sprawl?

Hmmmm....All the resorts minus Ragged have always been large players in the Northeast. I wouldn't consider Cannon a resort however........they have nearly zip in regards to a resort.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I'm stoked for Waterville to become a realistic option again. I only hope that after the expansion, they continue to be very aggressive with their ticket prices and promotions like they were this year.

skiersleft

It's funny because I always grew up skiing at Killington. When I went to Sugarloaf for the first time, I had heard it was similar in size to Killington. I didn't see it at first when I was driving up. It looked tall but that was it.

That's the difference between breadth and height. I always considered killington big because it spanned multiple peaks. They are both fun in their own way.

This is definitely true. I joke around with my friends that what makes hills ski big is "horizontal", not vertical. There, of course, must be a minimum vertical for it to ski big, but a horizontally sprawled mountain with 1,000 to 2,000 vertical in most peaks will ski big (e.g. SR and K in the East).

That's why K will always ski bigger than sugarloaf. And that's why Gore skis much bigger than Whiteface. Gore has more horizontal sprawl, especially now with the addition of Burnt Ridge and Little Gore. So, while at Whiteface you feel that all runs funnel to the same place (a lot of vertical, but very little horizontal), at Gore you feel that you're skiing distinctly separate areas with less vertical. The latter makes it ski much bigger than Whiteface

It happens at very level, BTW, Windham skis bigger than Hunter even though they have almost the same amount of skiable acres. But Windham, has two distinct peaks and getting from one to the other makes the place seem bigger than hunter.

In sum, horizontal is often underestimated. The horizontal of hills like K and SR make them ski huge, much bigger than what their skiable acreage suggests. Whereas the cramped horizontal of others makes them ski small.