• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What music are you into at the moment?

〽❄❅

I saw "The National" last Wednesday at the Academy of Music, did the entire High Violet LP and then some:)
http://thekey.xpn.org/2011/09/photo...la-tengo-and-wye-oak-at-the-academy-of-music/
Third song of four encore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cr8FrGWw2k

I bet I probably have more vinyl than at least 95% of you old dogs on this forum. :p
Probably. Most of mine are scratched to $%i†, exception being new LP's i buy at XPN.org "Free At Noon" concerts and the few i bought just before the digital format nightmares:\

Cannonball

I bet I probably have more vinyl than at least 95% of you old dogs on this forum. :p

That's nice. It's good to know that people out there use up their own personal space to archive the stuff. I sure as hell don't have room for it. My dad is one of the biggest vinyl collectors you'd ever meet. The collection is currently over 15,000 pieces. It takes up my old bedroom, my brother's old bedroom, most of the living room, and portions of the basement and garage. He even has shelves built into the freak'n bathroom with a few hundred records.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Shush Bill about youngins. Being in a smoky room listening to vinyl describes much of my early 20s. Much different must, though. :D

Oh pshaw you whippersnapper you! Show us yer stuff. I only have 300 33s and 100 45s. That's not countng all the ones that got stolen. Incuding beatles
white album. It now goes for 125 bills on eBay. :cry:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
That's nice. It's good to know that people out there use up their own personal space to archive the stuff. I sure as hell don't have room for it. My dad is one of the biggest vinyl collectors you'd ever meet. The collection is currently over 15,000 pieces. It takes up my old bedroom, my brother's old bedroom, most of the living room, and portions of the basement and garage. He even has shelves built into the freak'n bathroom with a few hundred records.

I don't look at it as music. To me it connects me to a time in my life. Name me a song and can tell you the year and what was going onin my life. My daughter paid me the biggest compliment when she asked for a turntable took my stones , Joplin and dead albums off to college! I am slowly digitizing my albums. What a pita!
Bravo rivercoil, bravo!

〽❄❅

The Felice Brothers "Celebration Florida"

FeliceCelebrationFlorida.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u054VK33gc0

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I don't look at it as music. To me it connects me to a time in my life. Name me a song and can tell you the year and what was going onin my life. My daughter paid me the biggest compliment when she asked for a turntable took my stones , Joplin and dead albums off to college! I am slowly digitizing my albums. What a pita!
Bravo rivercoil, bravo!
You might not bravo me as much when I tell you they are all dance music records and most of them are no older than 2000. :D Now most DJs are all digital. It is a much cheaper and easier way to go, but there was something about manipulating the records (and watching them be manipulated for those on the floor) that made for a special part of the culture. I am certainly no collector of older albums. Though when I DJ'd, I absolutely loved going into old record stores and trying to find older classic tracks that I couldn't get. Now a days, you can just download everything... there is a lot less knowledge and hard work involved in finding that perfect track.

mondeo

I'm not sure why it took me this long to subscribe for a Zune Pass. Within the last week I've downloaded pretty much the entire catalog of Our Lady Peace, Cake, Gorillaz, finished up Muse, and added some MGMT, Jamiriquois, Daft Punk,Foster the People, and Jack Johnson.

Love unlimited downloads across pretty much every device I own.

ctenidae

Have embarked upon burning all of our old CDs to iTunes. Some scary relics floating around in there. Mostly my wife's, of course.

〽❄❅

...until cd's and vinyl are phased out of production i'm sticking with them. Hooked up my macbook to the stereo system and itunes downloads, and direct downloads from disc still sound like compressed crap compared to my 15year old audiophile standard red book CDP.
Granted so much of the music out there is disposable but screw that, i'm not ready to get the necessary DAC for and to repurchase everything in 24/194 https://www.hdtracks.com/
http://www.stereophile.com/news/032308hdtracks/ (dated reference)
Only place i'd consider a ipod would be in the car or hooked up to the bose wavewhateverthef in the kitchen as a alt to FM.

wa-loaf

〽❄❅;652717 said:
...until cd's and vinyl are phased out of production i'm sticking with them. Hooked up my macbook to the stereo system and itunes downloads, and direct downloads from disc still sound like compressed crap compared to my 15year old audiophile standard red book CDP.
Granted so much of the music out there is disposable but screw that, i'm not ready to get the necessary DAC for and to repurchase everything in 24/194 https://www.hdtracks.com/
http://www.stereophile.com/news/032308hdtracks/ (dated reference)
Only place i'd consider a ipod would be in the car or hooked up to the bose wavewhateverthef in the kitchen as a alt to FM.

Don't forget to tell those dang kids to get off your lawn! :p

〽❄❅

Oh please send then over, in cleats! I hate that lawn! Every time it's cut or for that matter when i drive past a lawn being cut, it feels like little daggers invade my nose:( I'd like to replace it with a ground cover and be done with it, been working to that end but easier said then done.
But whatever, call me a grumpy old man, lol, mp3 files are compressed garbage for the mass market, raising a whole generation of which that don't know any better. I was fortunate to have been around when the now defunct Philadelphia Audio Society lead by TAS writer P. Breuninger and the New York Triode Mafia held symposiums drawing top EE's and designers from around the world exposing me to the esoteric side of audio:)

wa-loaf

〽❄❅;653079 said:
Oh please send then over, in cleats! I hate that lawn! Every time it's cut or for that matter when i drive past a lawn being cut, it feels like little daggers invade my nose:( I'd like to replace it with a ground cover and be done with it, been working to that end but easier said then done.
But whatever, call me a grumpy old man, lol, mp3 files are compressed garbage for the mass market, raising a whole generation of which that don't know any better. I was fortunate to have been around when the now defunct Philadelphia Audio Society lead by TAS writer P. Breuninger and the New York Triode Mafia held symposiums drawing top EE's and designers from around the world exposing me to the esoteric side of audio:)

There are audiophiles and then the rest of us. lol

jaja111

〽❄❅;653079 said:

I want to say that's pretty nitpicky, but it has occurred to me in the past few months that I hate compressed digital audio. I'm just sick of it. It's convenient, but it god awful sucks in the quality. The clarity and crispness of music is forever ruined by cheap and easy "on the go tunes" meant to be heard as background to a car engine, exercise equipment, lawn mowers, parties, etc.

Two current favorites - In the chillwave dept, Washed Out's new album "Within and Without" (people may know Washed Out from his "Feel It All Around" used as the opening to Portlandia) and in the Brazillian / South African Hard Bop Jazz dept, Hugh Masekela's old album "The Lasting Impressions of Ooga Booga"

Edd

Im really caught up with downtempo in recent weeks. Was focused on Thievery Corporation and then discovered DJ Krush. Can't stop listening.

Jack White's new album is pretty good.

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
primarily Umphrees McGee
also Primus, Janes Addiction, Pink Floyd, Brit Floyd and Aussie Floyd. Got tix for Iron Maiden so I've been practicing being a rabid fan.Cure, Deep Purple, Grateful Dead pre 1980, lots more.
Frankly, I like my little tablet thingie. I've got a lot of music loaded on it, and my audiophile days are gone it seems. The bose and direct drive turntable haven't been fired up in years. I do "Live" a lot, and that stays in my memory well enough to get by on mp3's.I mainly listen to bands I've seen so I can jog the memory banks, as I've gotten more into the visual aspect of music.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
〽❄❅;653079 said:

There are audiophiles and then the rest of us. lol

I have got some old vintage tube stereo equipment. Still sounds rich and full and quite precise despite being older than I am. I could probably use some maintenance perhaps some new matched tubeset etc.

Anyway, I used to subscribe to The Absolute Sound. I have a few years worth of old ones somewhere down in the basement. Now, I listen to mp3's on my BB. I'm all for nostalgia and appreciate longevity....But do you still ski on skinny skis?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
The clarity and crispness of music is forever ruined by cheap and easy "on the go tunes" meant to be heard as background to a car engine, exercise equipment, lawn mowers, parties, etc."

When I'm diving is about the only time I listen to music any more. I can't remember the last time I just sat and listened to something like YES's Tales of Topographic Oceans on head phones and just chilled. Too long. Anyway I think its the coolest thing to listen to the iPod on shuffle. I won't hear the same song for weeks. All without commercial interruption or annoying dj's. I keep a mix of rock, jazz and country. My music tastes are completely ADD.