• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Other ski areas in a death spiral besides Killington?

Are these the massive crowds HS seems to think will be there just by staying open later?

That picture must have been taken in the morning before Superstar softened enough for them to open it. Skylark, next to it, was very crowded while waiting for Superstar to open.

Now that all the NY areas are closed, why not give Killington a try?

Moderating a forum is a thankless task.
Its really nice that someone who's only been around a few weeks has all this insight to "fix" the site.
:beer:

Is it better to let the girl from Tahoe or the guy from Utah run the show in a Northeast forum?

New or not, that guy has a point.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is it better to let the girl from Tahoe or the guy from Utah run the show in a Northeast forum?

New or not, that guy has a point.

If you want to rehash the whole Highwaystar / Killington issue Gilligan brings up, feel free to take the conversation private with either Nick or any of the moderators in private. I've told you this before, but if you have a problem with a particular post, report it and we'll look into it.

As for Trekchick, she has skied the east plenty and has been a valuable member of this community for 5 plus years. I also believe she either is or has been a moderator on epicski. She gets that you can't please everyone with how a message board is moderated.

As for the "guy from Utah:, he moved out west just this year. He grew up in VT, has had passes at several areas between VT, NH and ME and is tremendously passionate about the ski business in the east. The fact he and his wife relocated to Utah for professional reasons is irrelevant regarding his ability to still be an effective moderator on this site.

Geoff

Anyone else notice that most of the folks complaining about K either are young enough that they haven't had kids yet or never had kids??

The whole kid thing as cliche as it sounds REALLY does change one's perspective on things

That's because unless you are rolling in money, parents with children typically don't ski Killington. It has, in the POWDR era, the least family-friendly pricing in the east. When they first showed up, they jacked up prices to outrageous levels for all kid programs. They've backed off some but they're still the highest in the state. It doesn't have a family-friendly layout. It is really shy on intermediate terrain. There is minimal to zero enforcement for reckless skiing/snowboarding. There are very few family-oriented apres ski activities. It's the land of 1000 cocktail lounges who cater to a totally different market.

If you want to rehash the whole Highwaystar / Killington issue Gilligan brings up, feel free to take the conversation private with either Nick or any of the moderators in private. I've told you this before, but if you have a problem with a particular post, report it and we'll look into it.

As for Trekchick, she has skied the east plenty and has been a valuable member of this community for 5 plus years. I also believe she either is or has been a moderator on epicski. She gets that you can't please everyone with how a message board is moderated.

As for the "guy from Utah:, he moved out west just this year. He grew up in VT, has had passes at several areas between VT, NH and ME and is tremendously passionate about the ski business in the east. The fact he and his wife relocated to Utah for professional reasons is irrelevant regarding his ability to still be an effective moderator on this site.
She took a cheap shot at him so I responded in kind. Am I not supposed to do that? Do you really think I should have reported her post instead?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I think the Skipper's little buddy and Highway Star, need to have a ski off. Whoever wins gets the AZ whiner award.

thumbsupne8.gif

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Killington sux, nothing but a bunch of wankers. The trails are laid out like crap, from year to year don't even know how many trails they have. Nothing more then a mecca for those wild snowboarders with their pants wrapped around their ankles as they try to use skiers as targets. Should just shut that mess down.

Last edited:
Killington sux, nothing but a bunch of wankers. The trails are laid out like crap, from year to year don't even know how many trails they have. Nothing more then a mecca for those wild snowboarders with their pants wrapped around their ankles as they try to use skiers as targets. Should just shut that mess down.

Could not agree more. And the trails are freakin' empty anyway. No one would miss the place.

Which one is the sarcasm emoticon again?

legalskier

Well, if nothing else, at least I accomplished something I would have previously thought impossible. Getting a little love for HighwayStar. Amazing, but okay, I hear you.

My point is not that we need to completely silence a voice here. My point is that HS is overshadowing most of the other voices with regards to Killington. By allowing him to start so many negative threads and then compound it with so many negative posts, well, it seems like HS is censoring the rest of us. Or at least drowning us out.

I do not like seeing my favorite mountain, or the people that ski there, repeatedly insulted. That is why I finally joined the forum instead of just lurking. I just think that the moderators could try a little harder to moderate the HS/K issue. Currently it has really gotten out of hand.

You don't understand the nefarious logic HS is utilizing- he thinks that by bashing K on internet forums he can somehow shame them into making the improvements he seeks. He bashes them but never seems to go anywhere else. It may be manipulative and even a bit odd, but his reverse psychology shows how much he cares.

deadheadskier

Staff member
She took a cheap shot at him so I responded in kind. Am I not supposed to do that? Do you really think I should have reported her post instead?

I didn't take her comments as a cheap shot. She was simply stating that the member was new and it's kind of bad form to come in and start gun blazing and publicly chastise Nick and the moderators on how we run the forum. It was also a suggestion on her part for the member to recognize that forum moderation is rarely agreed upon by all members. We do the best we can and quite honestly, the site has been as "peaceful" lately as it has ever been. This despite this season being the most frustrating weather wise that any skier or rider can ever remember, which is kind of surprising as skiers and riders openly vent their frustrations loudly.

I wasn't suggesting for you to report her post, though you could have if you had a problem with it. I was more making a general statement that if you have a problem with a member or comment on the site, report the post, send a private message to one of us and we'll look into it.

Highway Star

You don't understand the nefarious logic HS is utilizing- he thinks that by bashing K on internet forums he can somehow shame them into making the improvements he seeks. He bashes them but never seems to go anywhere else. It may be manipulative and even a bit odd, but his reverse psychology shows how much he cares.

I'm just calling them out on every poor decision they make .

steamboat1

Free lunch to all season pass holders yesterday was a very nice gesture on their part. I just wish I would've known about it ahead of time since I was there but elected to drive home yesterday instead. After a few days of warm weather & glorious sunshine the grey skies & cooler temps yesterday made me decide to leave. That plus rain forecasted for today. If I would have known I probably would've stayed or at least skied since my mid-week pass was being honored yesterday also. Another thing I didn't know until I got home. Even though I didn't take advantage of the offering it's nice to know they did something positive for their pass holders.

Highway Star

Yes, the lunch and raffle was nice. They seemed to do good business at the ubars.

mister moose

Free lunch to all season pass holders yesterday was a very nice gesture on their part. I just wish I would've known about it ahead of time since I was there but elected to drive home yesterday instead. After a few days of warm weather & glorious sunshine the grey skies & cooler temps yesterday made me decide to leave. That plus rain forecasted for today. If I would have known I probably would've stayed or at least skied since my mid-week pass was being honored yesterday also. Another thing I didn't know until I got home. Even though I didn't take advantage of the offering it's nice to know they did something positive for their pass holders.

Perfect illustration of how last minute and under conveyed this event was.

I'm glad they did it, but next year have adequate quanties (When I went through at 1pm the drinks were down to 1 choice and the dessert was all gone... no dessert is a cardinal moose sin) and think about how to best handle the volume. Add some tables out in the snow. Keep the line moving. Put it in the drift and on the website next year more than a week in advance. I skied instead of hanging around for the raffle, but I heard there was a lot of items and a lot of winners. I heard nothing but good things about the raffle.

So thanks for lunch and Joey. Next year make more dessert, and blow more snow all year long and all mountain wide to keep up with your competition. Lots of customers had to go elsewhere this spring, and that can't be a good thing. This Monday would be good practice.....

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
, and blow more snow all year long and all mountain wide to keep up with your competition. Lots of customers had to go elsewhere this spring, and that can't be a good thing. This Monday would be good practice.....

For now conditions look favorable to blow snow throughout the week at night. Jay and Sunday River have stated they will make snow, Killington has an opportunity to do the same. They surprised us with the early opening, let's see what they do now. I for one am not rushing to buy my pass for next year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Killington could come out looking really good in all of this. They have stated multiple times that they will stay open through April, weather permitting.

Well, if the weather permits them to make snow, they do it and they make it through the month, that's really sticking to their promises beyond what most customers would expect.