• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski sundown Dec 17th

MrMagic

area: ski sundown
Date: Dec 17th ( eve)
conditions: hard pack, loose gran , thin crust, everything
weather: fog, cool

report :

got over to sundown at 3 P, there was a thin egg shell ice crush on the bumps, but could be broken no problem. the bumps were HUDGE almost whale like, esp on skiers left side. i got quite wet from the dripping lift and trees as they were shedding their ice, things started to re-freeze around 6:45 and the snow became quite hard, but still edgable and enjoyable. i wont be able to get out friday, but ill be in line sat morning and sunday!! okemo tomarrow - enjoy the snow

Picture_027.jpg

Picture_024.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
I got up there around 7ish tonight. For some reason I decided to take out my wider twin tips which I quickly learned we not very good on crusty snow we had tonight. I met up with Mondeo at the top of my first run. The snow was crusty in spots, but generally edge-able and fast. After a couple of runs Mondeo broke one of his new shorty poles. When he went to get new ones I took the opportunity to head to the car and switch to the bump skis. That was a wise choice. The bumps are holding up well and, not surprisingly, looked pretty similar to how they did on Sunday night. They were just a bit more firm. I had a little trouble getting into the groove, but I still had fun.

All in all a good character building night, I'm glad I got out.

bvibert

Staff member
I forgot to mention that Mondeo ended up leaving early since he's heading up to Killington this morning and I left somewhere between 9:30 and 9:50. I was looking for MrMagic the whole time, now I know why I didn't see him. ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Sorry dude, no media of any sort from me. I didn't even bother to bring my camera.

Greg

Staff member
So the Temptor bumps were still decent? That's great. They should be real decent tomorrow.

downhill04

I got there a little bit before 7. I did not have a chance to get into the bumps as this was a father son ski night. My 4 year old and I spent the night on Tom’s Treat. This was his first time out this year. The first run was rather painful because he wanted no part of skiing on his own. I was finally able to convince him half way down that he did not need me to hold him while he skied.

The rest of the night was awesome! Granted it was only Tom’s Treat but he was ripping. He was in the “power wedge” flying straight down the majority of the trail and when it got a little steeper he was actually making turns going back and forth to keep his speed under control. The last run he made it top to bottom with out any wipe outs. :smile::smile::smile:

Even though I didn’t get a chance to hit up the bumps it was a great night. I ran into Brian and Mondeo briefly in the lift line but did not get the chance to ski with them.

Tomorrow is shaping up to be a good day at the mighty sundown. :daffy::snow::daffy::snow:

Greg

Staff member
Tomorrow is shaping up to be a good day at the mighty sundown. :daffy::snow::daffy::snow:

You in tomorrow? Bring your boy on Saturday. I'll be ripping Tom's Treat with my daughter. Gonna be a great weekend.

downhill04

You in tomorrow? Bring your boy on Saturday. I'll be ripping Tom's Treat with my daughter. Gonna be a great weekend.

I will be there tomorrow. The Wife is taking Breckin up to New Hampshire today to spend the weekend with her parents. I have a get out of jail free card all weekend. I might have to be on skis from Friday 2pm until Sunday 10pm :smile:

bvibert

Staff member
So the Temptor bumps were still decent? That's great. They should be real decent tomorrow.

Yes, they looked very similar to Sunday night, just a little firmer. They're going to be way more than real decent tomorrow! They're going to be Uber Sick! :spread:

bvibert

Staff member
The only other thing that I forgot to mention is that the snowgun kicker was pretty much gone...

2knees

The only other thing that I forgot to mention is that the snowgun kicker was pretty much gone...

was it ever really there to begin with? :wink:

you guys do love your credit card airs

bvibert

Staff member
i give you guys credit, (no pun intended), hitting those little bastards with the hardpack landings just sucks the life out of my knees.

When you're only getting a few inches off the ground the landing doesn't really matter all that much. That, and I still have my original, fully functioning knees... ;)