• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

best relocation options in the west (mountain/area)?

Trekchick

I had this exact thing come up two years ago. I had sights set on Summit county, Steamboat, Ogden......but I kept having things pop up that said Tahoe.
I fought it because I figured Tahoe would be too expensive, but the more I opened my heart and head, the more stuff fell into place to move to Tahoe.

I live in Reno, which is a really nice city, with a great deal of mountain vibe and culture. Cost of living is low enough to survive, and I'm less than 45 min away from world class skiing in any direction I drive.

My pick..........Reno!!

vcunning

Flagstaff, AZ is a hidden gem, especially since they are putting in snowmaking. Fun mountain, great town.

hammer

Flagstaff, AZ is a hidden gem, especially since they are putting in snowmaking. Fun mountain, great town.
Hmmm...here's a picture at Arizona Snowbowl from the 19th...

03.19.12.jpg

Wonder if they normally have conditions like this at this time of the year though.

Base elevation is 9,200 feet. Not sure how that compares to CO or NM ski areas.

vcunning

They have had some challenges in the past since everything has been natural (a few years they didn't open), but they now have snowmaking permits and capital in place for next year, I believe.

The two best days of skiing I had were when I lived there. 2 foot powder dump at night, not a cloud in the sky during the day, and only locals with chains on their cars were allowed out. It happened two days in a row. Spent all my time in the glades.

My wife and I actually picked this place from Ski Magazine's Top 10 Ski Towns to live in about 15 years ago. It matched up very nicely with a change in jobs.

Plus, I could ski in the morning and in 10 miles go down enough elevation to play golf in the afternoon.

Hmmm...here's a picture at Arizona Snowbowl from the 19th...

03.19.12.jpg

Wonder if they normally have conditions like this at this time of the year though.

Base elevation is 9,200 feet. Not sure how that compares to CO or NM ski areas.

x10003q

I had this exact thing come up two years ago. I had sights set on Summit county, Steamboat, Ogden......but I kept having things pop up that said Tahoe.
I fought it because I figured Tahoe would be too expensive, but the more I opened my heart and head, the more stuff fell into place to move to Tahoe.

I live in Reno, which is a really nice city, with a great deal of mountain vibe and culture. Cost of living is low enough to survive, and I'm less than 45 min away from world class skiing in any direction I drive.

My pick..........Reno!!

+1 and I would include the Carson City area. High desert climate, all weather airport in Reno, decent medical in Reno, 4-5 hours from SF metro area, Nevada tax structureand the monster Lake Tahoe skiing.It is the place I would like to retire. The spouse thinks not. We shall see.

Paul_M

Ketchum Idaho is a great retirement community. Tons of outdoor stuff to do year round (except mud season when you go to the beach.)

SIKSKIER

I would probably move to Kelowna, BC.

Spent many nights in Kelowna.Nice town,the climate is pretty mild at that elevation.Big White and Silver Star are less than an hour and unbelievable catskiing is right there also.The town is great in the summer also being right on a 90 mile long lake.In fact,every time I've gone catskiing and stayed there,themarina has many boats that stay in all winter as the lake never freezes.Have you been to Cheetahs?ha ha.

bigbog

Think we could maybe add in somewhere in NewMexico, near Taos...too, but with the weather patterns...I'm not sure on this one. Taos was terrific when I went in late 80s...but once I got acclimated to Canada's Governmental rules...I'd enjoy building a place in BC...as primary or 2nd home, that is if I had the cash...;-)

Last edited:

Trekchick

My pick..........Reno!!

+1 and I would include the Carson City area. High desert climate, all weather airport in Reno, decent medical in Reno, 4-5 hours from SF metro area, Nevada tax structureand the monster Lake Tahoe skiing.It is the place I would like to retire. The spouse thinks not. We shall see.
One thing I forgot to mention
Last year when Tahoe had record snow fall (800+inches) we only shoveled our driveway 6 times all winter.
We drove out of our driveway (with 4X4) and were skiing world class ski resorts in less than an hour. Most often, we were on the slopes in 40 minutes.
The drive from Reno is easy, the snow maintenance is non existent, and the convenience of skiing Squaw, AlpineMeadows, Northstar, Sugarbowl, Mt Rose, Heavenly, Kirkwood (plus the smaller areas like Diamond Peak, Homewood Sierra Tahoe) is all within an easy drive. (disclaimer, Heavenly and Kirkwood are 1+hr away)

snoseek

^^^^BTW make sure to tell everyone thanks for the hospitality, dinner (awesome) ect....

I ended up skiing till 330 and the snow corned up super nice!!!!

Back on topic-I really kind of like the Carson Valley. Gardnerville is 20 minutes to the stagecoach lift at Heavenly, quiet town, warm and cheap as hell.

Trekchick

^^^^BTW make sure to tell everyone thanks for the hospitality, dinner (awesome) ect....

I ended up skiing till 330 and the snow corned up super nice!!!!

Back on topic-I really kind of like the Carson Valley. Gardnerville is 20 minutes to the stagecoach lift at Heavenly, quiet town, warm and cheap as hell.
They got the message and are looking forward to you coming back.
Phil and I will be there on Tuesday to celebrate Steve's birthday with him, and maybe bring a pot roast.

gladerider

do you mind elaborating the nevada tax structure? i did love the tahoe trip a few years ago. especially the north lake and squaw.

Sugart

House Hunters was in Whitefish the other night and that place looked fantastic. Sadly though, my wife doesnt ski, or do anything outdoorsy so moving somewheres with not much else would get old for her fast.

Paul_M

A few Tahoe comments......I lived in Markleeville, CA and Carson City as well as north of Reno for a couple years, but I never considered retiring there. It's a great selection of ski areas, but I always envisioned living 10-15 mins from the lift. There also is not a lot of fishing or hunting w/in close driving range and not sure about golf in the area, either. It's pretty hot in the summer, and there are tons of tourists. There is no state income tax. It's a great place to work and ski, though.

bobbutts

South Lake Tahoe/Stateline.. Mainly because it's the only Western ski town I've lived in. I think after a period of being high, the cost of living is more reasonable again. The skiing is cheap and fantastic with tons of variety, and the weather is a dream come true.
If your idea of job is going to some skyscraper and getting paid a hundred k, forget it, but there is work to be had there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For me it would probably be Denver as in addition to being close to good skiing, it has a great music scene. That's important to me.

Trekchick

For me it would probably be Denver as in addition to being close to good skiing, it has a great music scene. That's important to me.
The biggest down side to Denver is that tis 1+ hours away from good skiing which takes longer if you go on weekends or holiday's. The I-70 madhouse is a mess.

San Francisco or Sacremento to Tahoe is similar with the I-80 madhouse.
I like being on the other side of Tahoe in Reno(Or Carson Valley). We never have difficulty on I-80 and can access great skiing in under 40 min.

Last edited: