• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 4/4/13

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Date(s) Skied: April 4, 2013

Resort or Ski Area: Sunday River

Conditions: Firm/Icy

Trip Report: Hoping to work on a school project to measure the slopes of the steepest trails at Sunday River and measure the heights of numerous cliff jumps, I would be disappointed since 95% of the non-groomed terrain would remain closed all day. All of the ungroomed terrain was icy although completely doable for seasoned skiers so it was annoying. But what could I do? The temperature only got up to about 40 so only the trails facing the sun quite a bit turned into slush. Most of the runs stayed firm and icy. The mountain had received a dusting of snow the night before which helped a little.

Since the ski patrol weren't cooperating, I took advantage of Sunday River's boundary to boundary policy to explore numerous "secret trails" around the mountain and discovered several new ways of doing trails I had already discovered. It really is unbelievable how much more I know about Sunday River now compared to the beginning of the year.

In other news, I finished most of the lift photography I need at Sunday River in order to produce quality, bluebird day remontees-mecaniques.net reports of all of the chairlifts at Sunday River.

Take a look at a selection of the photographs I took:

I can't get over how much snow they have on these jumps:
DSCN0952.JPG

A glade run I stumbled upon:
DSCN1187.JPG

The whole couch to myself:
DSCN1162.JPG

Measuring the height of the cliff jumps and incidentally getting an interesting photograph.
DSCN1203.JPG

Jordan Bowl Express. I thought there was a decent amount of people for a Spring week day, but apparently Sunday River doesn't think so as this part of the mountain will be shut down for the season after this weekend. Too bad.
DSCN1092.jpg

mlkrgr

Yeah; wish I could see that jump for myself; that's pretty awesome they have that. Looks like it was pretty empty even for a Thursday. I think the thing is with how spread out the lift system is, it takes them 7 lifts at a minimum (I guess 9 if you count they'll keep the quad and magic carpet at South Ridge going for learners) just to keep that place up.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah; wish I could see that jump for myself; that's pretty awesome they have that. Looks like it was pretty empty even for a Thursday. I think the thing is with how spread out the lift system is, it takes them 7 lifts at a minimum (I guess 9 if you count they'll keep the quad and magic carpet at South Ridge going for learners) just to keep that place up.

Spotm on! But I thought there was a decent amount of people for a late season midweek day. I definitely think they should be keeping White Cap and Jordan Bowl open at least on weekends as long as they can. I think that Jordan Bowl shot was later in the day. I think earlier there was more people.