• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ chatroom

Trekchick

sorry, I'm going to play devils advocate here...........
If AZ were to have a chat room, would the content and sense of community of the site dwindle?
If people are having private discussions about GTG's, gear questions, and other such stuff, it may draw away from some of the great connections that this community thrives on.

Not accusin, just sayin. ;)

Moe Ghoul

+2. PASR tried a chatroom and nobody used it. The board approach keeps the convo broad and varied. PM allows folks to have direct and quasi-private contact, and a chatroom can easily devolve into pissing matches. A message board tends to make people think about what they are going to say, especially if emotions run high. It slows folks down before they say something idiotic or controversial. Not that AZ has any members prone to oral diarrhea. :)

BeanoNYC

if AZ had a chat room would GSS ever leave?

Once he figures out that his post count will go down with realtime chat, he'll be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I'm also concerned about the post counts of the board, collectively, going down. I've never ran a community website, so I'm not sure, but I'm assuming that Greg needs to show some sort of numbers to his advertisers. I would hate to see him lose money on this.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I can see the other sides of this...

Perhaps those who are interested in chat could just open up their gmail chat or something and go there when the urge strikes? Just a thought....

MRGisevil

sorry, I'm going to play devils advocate here...........
If AZ were to have a chat room, would the content and sense of community of the site dwindle?
If people are having private discussions about GTG's, gear questions, and other such stuff, it may draw away from some of the great connections that this community thrives on.

Not accusin, just sayin. ;)

Adversely, chat might end up filtering out spam. So I doubt any real section of the forum would suffer save for the count to one billion thread and do you pee while you're writing trip reports thread and whatever else is going on these days.

What's with the anti-chat people..the forum will always be the ill shizzle..but chat would also be off the hinges..ya heard!!!