• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you own an HD TV

Do you own an HD TV?

• Yes

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • No, but I'm going to get one

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • No, because I'm waiting for the price to come down more

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • No, and I have no intention of getting one

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

Cannonball

I have a 42" LCD that is ~6 yrs old. If it were to die I'd probably replace it with a nice painting and some new speakers. My TV's main job lately is to stream music, which is a really stupid use of energy, technology, and sound quality.

WWF-VT

We have a 32" Samsung TV that's about 6 years old. No cable bill as we use rabbit ears and get about 20 different channels. Don't really watch a lot of TV but it has a great picture and sound for watching movies on DVD that we get for free from the local library.

skiNEwhere

The cost of televisions vs the quality of content is really out of whack. Give me something worth watching and I'll consider buying a new TV

This is actually part of the reason I want a new TV. A lot of these original series on HBO, Amazon prime, and Netflix are pretty damn good

Edd

The cost of televisions vs the quality of content is really out of whack. Give me something worth watching and I'll consider buying a new TV

There are far too many quality shows for me to even keep up with. I'd have to work less to watch it all. It's out there, IMO.

SkiFanE

We have a 32" Samsung TV that's about 6 years old. No cable bill as we use rabbit ears and get about 20 different channels. Don't really watch a lot of TV but it has a great picture and sound for watching movies on DVD that we get for free from the local library.
. Over the air TV is best signal possible (been told by my EE husband). I'm on tallest hill in town 15 miles from Boston, probably same from Needham antennas. Our outdoor HD receiver has been quirky though - husband needs to check on it - but usually perfect reception from tons of stations (well, relative to a non-cable person lol). Haven't paid for cable since 1999 - well til we got cable Internet and cheaper to get bundle with cable - we just don't hook it up (used cable wire for antennae). Although we can use our xfinity acct to stream. Probably saved enough to cover our ski house down payment over those years lol. (Think about that youngins who say you can't save - give up your TV!)

deadheadskier

Staff member

My long held wish is for ala carte packaging. I literally watch about fifteen channels total. I don't need the other 885 and find it annoying to have to surf through all the garbage.

I hear about all the great "shows" out there, but I have fear of commitment to watching TV series. The last show I regularly watched was Cheers when it was still live and that's only because of my mom. She had a thing for Ted Danson back then.

Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Office, Game of Thrones, Whatever that Zombie show is, Ive never bothered watching. Actually that's not true, half an episode of Zombie show, but I thought it was dumb.

Typically I'll leave something on Discovery or Natgeo in the background while I'm reading

Funky_Catskills

I had my ex's login for Time Warner for a while... She never took me off the account.
I was able to watch Discovery and History on Apple TV or Roku.. But then she changed the account... :(

I think ala carte is JUST around the corner.. Within the next couple years for sure

yeggous

I think ala carte is JUST around the corner.. Within the next couple years for sure

Right... people have been saying that for years. But the market has responded by digging in and vertically integrating. The cable company now owns the content.

Funky_Catskills

Right... people have been saying that for years. But the market has responded by digging in and vertically integrating. The cable company now owns the content.

It's starting to happen..
I have ala carte' HBO, CBS, PBS right now... I had ala carte' SHowtime for a while to watch my friends Series..

It's happening...

JaneGibb

Website
getverticalbysalewa.info
I had one attached to our living room but sold it cheap since it distracted a lot our son who got really bad scores at school because of too much watching cartoons :sadwalk:

gmcunni

need a new tv, what are the latest greatest options in the market? looking for something 60" or so, wall mounted. wide viewing angle.

Edd

Not certain about a wide viewing angle, but I've read great things this year about the OLED models from LG.

dlague

Evil television...the bane of society. Big brother's way of controlling the masses and watching us too.

A little paranoid? When it comes to TV, yes I am.

My boss got new internet service here at work...4 cable boxes came with the deal. Sort of like free cocaine when you buy a bag of heroin.

Now there's a TV in the lunch room. And instead of the lively chatter we used to have in there, now I get to see a bunch of drooling zombies watching the intelligence sucking box.

Evil I tell you.

This is pretty funny.

I had not seen this thread yet, but reading the earlier statements, I wonder what their stance is now. We have jumped up in size three times to a 55 inch and now are looking at going to 65. In fact, you can get a 65 inch Smart TV 4K for easily less than a thousand - I found some for $599. Now if you pay more it is not because of size and video quality but because of added features like web access, network capable, pre-installed software, lots of ports etc.

I assume that everyone has 2 or 3 these days!

Love to watch HD Youtube skiing movie - lots of full length stuff there now. Watch Claim it is good and the beginning pretty funny. My TV is not Smart so I use Chromecast.

Jully

Love to watch HD Youtube skiing movie - lots of full length stuff there now. Watch Claim it is good and the beginning pretty funny. My TV is not Smart so I use Chromecast.

Chromecast is every bit as good as a smart TV IMO. Not sure what the price difference between smart and not smart TVs, but when they first came out I thought they were an incredible gimmick and not worth it. I could be totally off base though.

benski

Chromecast is every bit as good as a smart TV IMO. Not sure what the price difference between smart and not smart TVs, but when they first came out I thought they were an incredible gimmick and not worth it. I could be totally off base though.

Those aftermarket streaming devices are probably more user friendly. I tried using one once and returned it after signing into my inactive Netflix account instead of my active one and not being able to sign out. Also I bet the streaming device goes obsolete long before you decire a new TV.