• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$$$$$ for clunkers passes

ComeBackMudPuddles

Interstates don't lose money due to the amount of money they save those that use it. The same can't be said for Amtrak or most light rail companies. It would be more cost effective to subidize automobile use than subsidize Amtrak.

tell that to the millions of people that use amtrak in the northeast corridor.

also, i'm sure al gore wouldn't be happy with your solution. :smile:

ComeBackMudPuddles

map_of_georgia.jpg

Calling him Russian is just Marc's way of insulting him.

aaah, ok. thanks! this must be the first time someplace else in the world is named after something in america.

USA! USA! USA!

if only they used the same strategy with some of those city names, too, it'd probably be easier to get around.

:flag:

koreshot

aaah, ok. thanks! this must be the first time someplace else in the world is named after something in america.
USA! USA! USA!

"Georgia" is what you imperialists call us. We call ourselves Sakartvelo.

Last I checked there was no "Sakartvelo" in the US road atlas. So there!

ComeBackMudPuddles

"Georgia" is what you imperialists call us. We call ourselves Sakartvelo.

"sakartvelo"? really? too funny. of all the things to call yourselves, you chose "sakartvelo"?

i would have gone with something like "friggin' awesome" or "i like vodka" or even "georgia" before "sakartvelo".

koreshot

"sakartvelo"? really? too funny. of all the things to call yourselves, you chose "sakartvelo"?

i would have gone with something like "friggin' awesome" or "i like vodka" or even "georgia" before "sakartvelo".

You know, the name is inherited and has history behind it. You can't just pick it!

If it was that easy, I would have changed my name legally to McLovin years ago.

skijay

It looks like today it passed the Senate. I keep seeing that the vehicle must be at least a 1984 and must get 18 MPG or less. I can not find out if that means city, highway or combined.

I have checked www.fueleconomy.gov for the car that we have that is part of the Estate and it is rated at 17 city / 26 highway with a 20 mpg combined. It has been registered and insured for the 1 year requirement. I hope it qualifies as we have been trying to sell it for just about a year now with no luck. We would be happy with the $3,500 since it is $700 more than our asking price.

skijay

If it is combined, it is kind of hard to find a car that qualifies. It looks like you need to have one of these to trade.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySide.jsp?column=1&id=541

or

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectEngine.jsp?year=1999&make=Cadillac&model=DeVille

What we have gets a combined of 20 mpg (17 city / 26 highway) under the "new" way of calculating.

So this is good for someone who may have picked up a "winter beater" 1985 Caddy 2 years ago for $500 and decides to take advantage of the Cash for Clunkers bill and trade up to a 2010 Prius for $22,000. It looks like they will be paying $22,000 - $4,500 = $17,500 and also do not have to pay any sales tax. Not bad as that 1985 Caddy owner makes out well on the trade in.