• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another Thunderbolt Report (Sat, 1/15/11)

Newpylong

It is so great to see the Thunderbolt gain popularity in the past decade. In the early 90's you could barely even hike up the trail from disuse. Do you have AT gear or did you hike in normal boots and swap for ski boots up top?

Jisch

I was considering heading up there this weekend, really like to hear about conditions now (and after tonight's storm), I hate to drive all that way to be iced out.

John

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
Do you have AT gear or did you hike in normal boots and swap for ski boots up top?

I use AT gear. I've been sporting a pair of Garmont Mega Rides, and my skis have the G3 Onyx binding.

I'm also wondering if they gained a pretty serious crust. From the looks of the snow report from Berkshire East (other side of the valley), they've been getting some snow though.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I use AT gear. I've been sporting a pair of Garmont Mega Rides, and my skis have the G3 Onyx binding.

I'm also wondering if they gained a pretty serious crust. From the looks of the snow report from Berkshire East (other side of the valley), they've been getting some snow though.

Well, if my yard is any indicator, the crust is thin and easily breakable.